Balsa and spruce and other questions!

Advert

Hi Stewart - yes 1/4 x 1/8 = 1/8 by 1/4 - just make sure you use it as per the plan and you'll be fine.

Can't help you with cheap postage for balsa - it's the 36" or 48" bit that does the damage but some places do free postage or discounts over a certain price. Check out SLEC or Balsa Cabin.

Good on you for entering the mysterious world of the 'Builder'. It's easier than you think and most satisfying.

Terry

It was not really a daft question -- I can see your point. Some balsa is Quarter sawn to produce stiffer sheets where the grain / rays are somewhat different. So cutting a strip 1/4 x 1/8 rather than 1/8 x 1/4 might theoretically produce a similar situation. But in practice the strip is so narrow it doesnt matter. What does matter is getting strip that has the grain straight down the strip and not running at an angle.No flaws too. But most strip is usually good.

The trick to avoiding postage is to buy at shows! Stock up when you visit because it is often half the price of shops and better selection. Balsa Cabin usually state on their website what shows they will attend. Phone a few days before if you want something special like 48 inch spruce. In addition to major shows there is a man with a van load of balsa at most Old Warden model days ( I dont know the traders name) Next one is May.

If you build lots of models that use strip ( not wing spars or spruce ) then it's worth buying a balsa strp cutter.  I use the SLEC one, there is a differnt type from Avicraft or you can make fixed size type from several simple designs.  Cutting your strip is much cheaper and yuo only need a couple of extra sheets in stock to produce any size.  But spars need very stiff straight grained wood so not quite so easy to cut.  Spruce needs sawing not a scalpel.

Edited By kc on 20/03/2013 11:31:38

Posted by kc on 20/03/2013 11:20:44:

In addition to major shows there is a man with a van load of balsa at most Old Warden model days ( I dont know the traders name) Next one is May.

Edited By kc on 20/03/2013 11:31:38

The gentleman with the van and the excellent balsa and various other goodies is John Hook.

Google "Flitehook" and you'll find him. He does mail order within the UK and has an excellent reputation.

Yes, Flighthook is a familiar name although I wasnt sure that the van next to their stand was the same. A van absolutely packed with balsa! I reckon that type of trader could be relied on to give advice on what grade of balsa to buy for any particular part. They are modellers more than just traders. Ask for a piece of 1/4 for tailplanes or whatever you need.. But you need to say what type of model you are building -i.e. small free flight or 52 inch RC etc.

Old Warden dates are 11 &12 May. 20 & 21 July, 7 & 8 Sept this year.

Of course ask your fellow club members to get a bulk order together. I always buy at least my standard lot of balsa such as a couple of bits of 1/8 for fuselage sides, light 1/4 for tailplane, 1/16 for ribs and some 1/4 sq spruce for spars etc, etc.. Enough for 1 model of the size I build even if I have not decided which model to build.

hello steward......you mention that you are in the north east? .....if you want all the wood you mention...go to gladstons in north shields....they will have what you want...once sorted they do mail order also......and are very helpfull......and around the corner is phills models.....again........a good shop......

ken anderson.....ne....1 LMS dept.

I would add a comment about stripping your own balsa.

For built up fuselages and spars you really need hard balsa, often harder that the sheets that you can buy. For that reason things like spars which really must be hard are best bought as strip which can be much harder than those stripped from sheet.

SLEC are extremely good at supplying the grades that one asks for.