Advert

Technically they don't. They have converted themselves into a marketplace like eBay, that item is actually sold by 'High Tech International' - details here. As you can see it claims 'Just launched' and if you look they have no feedback.

I'd say this is a scammer and if you check back in a few weeks they will either have a load of negative feedback or the account will have been closed. I've used the Amazon 'Marketplace' several times and have had to claim my money back from Amazon because of non delivery about 50%of the time. It is a horrible service in my opinion, far worse than eBay and cheapens the Amazon brand no end.

Scammer? I'm not so sure. If they had lots for sale and a "silly cheap" price then I'd agree.

But with "Only 1 left in stock." (did they ever have any more?) and a ridiculously expensive price I think it would be a long time before they hooked a victim if they really were scamming. I reckon it's just a mistake - maybe they're intending to sell them really cheap but the decimal point slipped a place!

Many people operate Amazon Seller’s Accounts as I do, in my case to sell items that I no longer need without any problem whatsoever. I find that their system is easier to operate than auction sites. It is up to the seller to specify their price and up to the buyer to decide if they wish to pay that price, just as with the retail trade.

Greybeard, agreed about their system being easier to operate as a seller. I've sold plenty of things through their marketplace. However as a buyer I've been burned 50% of the times I've tried to use it. Which is way below the 100% success rate I've had with eBay. Whenever I browse amazon now I am very careful to only purchase goods sold by Amazon themselves.

Although in all fairness to Amazon they have refunded me in each case. Just a shame both were presents promising 1-3 day delivery and I had to wait 30 days before amazon would investigate and then more time while they process the refund

Looking at his other stuff - including a baby's rattle at 50 quid! - and the fact that he's based in Hong Kong, I'm wondering if he's just messed up on calculating the currency conversion? You know, decimal point in the wrong place on the calculator sort of thing? Or possibly applied the conversion the wrong way round - the Yuan is about 10:1 with the pound and if you divide his proces by 10 then they look more like what you might expect to see.

BEB

Posted by Robin Kearney on 08/04/2013 09:38:54:

Greybeard, agreed about their system being easier to operate as a seller. I've sold plenty of things through their marketplace. However as a buyer I've been burned 50% of the times I've tried to use it. Which is way below the 100% success rate I've had with eBay. Whenever I browse amazon now I am very careful to only purchase goods sold by Amazon themselves.

Although in all fairness to Amazon they have refunded me in each case. Just a shame both were presents promising 1-3 day delivery and I had to wait 30 days before amazon would investigate and then more time while they process the refund

Whilst I have not experienced any similar failings, the key point is that you were protected.

I used to use Amazon but stopped after many issues with their choice of delivery system Yodel. Yes this is another story so will keep to this thread. I sell a few games for my son and so far so good.

In the end I got fed up with the silly postage pricing on Amazon. The buyer pays £2.00 to cover postage on a dvd/game which is fine but then I still got £2.00 when selling my kids Wii for them.

Mike

My wife likes to browse for books on Amazon, I try to deter her because I find their site, pricing, checkout and postage offers confusing.

As for eBay, have used it for about 8 years with over 500 transactions, only one minor problem which cost me £3.50 in return postage. (From a seller with allegedly over 1000 transactions and 100% feedback!). I think that with ebay you seem to have a more personal contact with other traders.

If you sell on ebay you set your own postage (most of the time) - if you are buying items you look at the cost of postage and decide if you are going to buy from that trader/seller or not!