Siren hotliner pics

Knowing of my liking for an electric glider, and seeing as how it was my birthday, Netty presented me with a nice new Siren e-glider.

Not only the airframe, but a shiny new inrunner, 50A ESC and three metal-geared Hitec servos.

Now I know the Siren has its limitations; the built-up wing precludes any real hooliganism, but it should still be quite lively all the same given its 50oz AUW and 500 watts power.

I had to butcher some of the internal woodwork in order to squeeze the 3S 4000 cell pack inside the fuselage.

All I need now is for the wind to drop.....

tim

img_2340small.jpg

img_2341small.jpg

img_2342small.jpg

img_2343small.jpg

img_2344small.jpg

img_2345small.jpg

Advert

There's method in her madness. Apparently.

Buying me an ARTF means that I get it in the air in minimum time, and let's me free to get back to the building board again....

Incidentally, I ought to point out that the last pressie she bought me was that 1/4 scale, BUSA Nieuport 28 kit. Four months of solid effort culminated in a two-part review.

tim

Today was the day!

The wind dropped to single figures and the sun shone through, so it seemed only fair to give the Siren its maiden.

Actually, it nearly went all wrong, as my launch was a little marginal, and I didn't have time to get my right hand on the transmitter to correct the resulting dive towards the ground. Replace prop blades, dial in some up trim, and enlist clubmate Trevor to launch the model instead...

Much better! A positive climbout, followed by several minutes of mixed power on/power off aerobatics followed. Netty also had a go on the sticks and pronounced herself satisfied with the Siren too. At a decewnt height, I tried the spoilerons out, and sure enough (with a little down mixed in) the model decended at about 20° whilst remaining horizontal and fully under control.

I'd read on the net that the stated CG position (55mm aft of the LE) was way out, so I'd plumped for a 65mm position instead. To my mind, it could still do with moving a little further aft, so I'll move the cell pack back a little next time.

So, no, the Siren - on 3 cells - isn't ballistic or too frightening, but is a very smooth glider which looks worthy of a bit of fine tuning to get the best out of it.

tim (happy bunny)