Futaba 14MZ a dead radio?

John Clark 2

well well this is a (predictably) lively thread - the bottom line is ( and you can argue TX spec and mixing facilities all you like ) 35 MHZ is yesterday's news - all radios will be on 2.4 (or a n other UHF/EHF frequency very soon - as for the 14MZ...........well words fail me (if I want music I'll use an IPOD)!

has anybody fitted a 2.4 ghz camera system to there plane or hele yet. then fitted a 2.4 ghz radio system ... now theres food for thought.. could cause a bit of a problem of signal block.. thought i would mention it before its to late...then again i take it this is a very good bit of kit thats been tested in the states for about two years now ..surely somone has already tried this...so it must be safe.ha..ha..ha .anyway all the best you 2.4ghz ers out there .somone has to try this stuff out..jim..

• 2 weeks later...
The length of the aerial is a function of the wavelength of the signal. Consquently the amount of "shielding" of a carbon prop is not related purely to how much area the disc covers in comparison to the antennae as such, but how big a gap there is between the blades when they rotate and how that compares to the wavelength of the signal.

Eg, microwaves are in the order of 1-3cm in length, so a metal screen with holes around the 1cm dia mark will stop most of the signal getting through (which is why the screen in our ovens are around 2-3mm in diameter)

Given the size of the aerials, I'd think that a carbon prop wouldn't be an issue.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi
I have had my Spectrum know for a couple of months and i have to say it has preformed very well. However what has prompted me to write this posting is that, the other weekend when i was out i decided to have "one last flight" when i switched on the system, nothing, not a dicky bird and dispite me checking the connections ect. no fault was found. I went home charge up the batteries and still nothing, I decided to RE-Bind the system now all is well. Scary !!!!
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

ALAN. Yes as Toni says, it is merely the tr scanning for free channels, followed by the tr and rcvr binding satisfactorily.
I have experienced this "dead" situation a few times, but each time it was resolved by switching both the tr and the rcvr OFF, then switching back on in the correct order, EG: RCVR first, then TR.
I have never had to re-bind on any of my 9 Spekky models.
I suspect this is the cause of your problem, the system is, by its very nature of modelmatch and binding sensitive to things being done in the correct order. ALWAYS prudent to allow a few seconds delay, then a twiddle of the sticks to check all is OK before EVERY flight.
We should of course really be range checking also on every preflight check, but of course.....we don't do we

• 4 months later...

Hi there all.

This has given me a lot of information as I have allways been use to going to the flying field and going round asking all the fokes what frek., they are on and standing there for hours waiting for a slot this has lead me to flying on my own most of the time. the other day when I had been at our full size glider site at the end of the day there was a chap turned up with two electric plains and I said to him with out thinking what frek., was he on as I was thinking of getting my heli out to play and he said no problem 2.4mh so I was able to fly at the same time for a change, this is shorley the way fullward I have got Five 35 mh tx to replce so it will be hard but I think the advancement is only to clear so this is the fucher so be it.

happy flying.