I am afraid I have to report that my elegant scale Depron Libelle is no more.

Completed

Flying in a thermal (easy as it was marked by 3 hawks!) quite high I briefly lost sight of it when edge on.

With the sun behind me I just let it continue to circle so it would show up again but it didn't, in fact I never saw it again.

I fear that due to thermal activity it did not complete the circle but continued flying edge on for a bit.

From about 600' and not knowing its direction the possible area is huge and access is rather limited. I have looked over several open fields but with all the hedgerows, farm building and trees its a real 'needle in a haystack'. It is probably in several pieces anyway.

Never an expensive plane it did however represent quite a few man hours and it was thermalling so nicely!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 01/05/2013 23:29:26

Hi Simon,
I too am sorry to hear about your loss, did you have any contact details on board?

We all know that our models are only to easy to lose/crash and that we must except it and move on, but, it's still tough when you consider how many hours we put into them to get them just right.

Nev.

That is a shame. Especially difficult for a glider lost in lift (it has happened to me) makes it very difficult to predict where it will land.

My 'lost' (in cloud) slope soarer landed over 4 miles downwind in a reservoir. Unbelievably it was found (the solarfilm kept it mainly dry and the name and address label got it back to me within a week. I was flying it again 2 days later (24 hours in an airing cupboard).

Try contacting your local microlight club and give them an approximate heading. It will give them something to do..

Good luck

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

That's a lovely glider Simon! Just taking a second glance because she's made from Depron. I'm just starting a foamie glider myself, but with no plan in mind. Make some wings and see how they look, that's me. Do you have a build thread for this one? I'll have a search.

ok, I found your build thread.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 23/05/2013 19:50:40

I remember reading a couple of years ago about a guy in the SE who lost his glider in a thermal and some time later received a phone call that a fisherman in Siberia had found it on the beach. The model had his phone number on it and so the owner was able to send his address so the plane could be shipped back. On arrival it had minimal damage.

So all is not lost and ALWAYS put your phone number on thermal gliders.

A470Soaring.blogspot.com