Hostetler Cessna 195 Build

Hello there folks,

I have been hard at work on a hostetler Cessna 195 from Belair .

I have got quite a long way along with the fuselage so I will just do a bit of a pictoral catch up to date for you.

I hope you like it.

D.D.

cessna0 195 001.jpg

cessna0 195 002.jpg

cessna0 195 004.jpg

cessna0 195 005.jpg

cessna1 195 003.jpg

Edited By Dwain dibley on 11/05/2013 14:18:17

Edited By Dwain dibley on 11/05/2013 14:37:13

Advert

Ok. the fire wall was next, made up from two pieces of ply to 3/8". Then a ring was added from laminated 1/4" laser cut parts, these were overlapped for strength. The funny thing here was they were too big and I had to cut one down on each layer.

cessna15 195 001.jpg

Sanded to profile.

cessna16 195 002.jpg

A door, as on full size, for switch gear.

cessna17 195 003.jpg

cessna17 195 002.jpg

cessna17 195 001.jpg

Rudder hinges, I used point hinges.

cessna19 195 001.jpg

cessna19 195 002.jpg

cessna19 195 003.jpg

Firewall mocked up in position. The plan specifies 26 to 50cc. I don't know what I will fit yet, I have still to receive the cowl.

cessna18 195 001.jpg

I made tabs to locate the firewall, I will also make a box section to strengthen things a bit..

cessna18 195 003.jpg

Before the front goes on there is a boat load I have to do on the interior, like a floor, ceiling, instruments, seating and yokes.

This is what I want to achieve on the outside. smiley

yellow 195.jpg

A classic 30's look...

Well that's the build up to date, hope you weren't bored, I'm off to Long Marston to raid the Balsa tents tomorrow. One of the reasons for the halt on the build was a need for materials, the other was I pranged my DB Auster, and was repairing her as a bit of a change from the 195.

D.D.

Edited By Dwain dibley on 11/05/2013 22:37:48

Thanks Chaps..smiley

Any of the golden era aircraft would do me, but it was a toss up between the chester Jeep, the Laird Turner, or the 195, and as I love the cessna in all her guises, the 195 it had to be.

The four stroke is apealing I must say.

I also have this in my Garage but it does not belong to me, I am just her guardian at the minute.

mister mulligan 002.jpg

mister mulligan 006.jpg

Posted by Limobob on 13/05/2013 05:50:05:

Awful lot of balsa DD.

Can't be all for the Cessna surely!

I know !!

But yes it is.....Everything is fully sheeted, and with a 7' fuz and a 9' span, it uses quite a bit of wood.

I have decided to go with the part sheeted and rib capped version of the wing as well. !!

D.D.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got round to working on the Cessna again. I had kind of lost momentum, so I started on a bit of sheeting work. The whole of the model is sheeted, with the exception of the wings, which can be part sheeted if you so desire. I like the look of a rib capped wing so thats the way I am going.

I spent a long time studying the plan, when it came to building the horizontal stabilizer, just as well because the plan had certain anomalies..One of the ribs, (S4) was too long, so before cutting I had to make sure it wasn't supposed to be too long.

Also the elevator halves are tapered at both ends, which also presented a problem, in the end I decided to cut the leading edges way bigger and then plane them back...the pics will explain better.

I marked all the centre points on everything and then lined them up, made sure they were square and glued them up.

A lot of planing and sanding ensued.

I then covered the whole lot in 1/16 sheet, they are as light as possible as they are a long way behind the C of G.

D.D.

Here we go.

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys.....

I have not touched this project for a whole year now. Mainly because I have got into cycling in a big way, and partly because we are struggling to find somewhere to fly our .60 and smaller sized models. The lack of a good field/Club being a big pain in the **s.

I will continue to build, but nothing as big as this.

I have therefore decide that I will part with it. It comes with....

Full size plans (2 sheets)

All the balsa to finish the model.

The cowl and spats.

The wing tube and phenolic tube.

The total cost of the whole lot was in the region of £450........The first one of you guys with £250 can take it away.

Feel free to message or Email me with any questions or sensible offers.

Regards

D.D.

• 3 weeks later...

Such a shame to have to give it up after all your hard work.

Your building skills are a joy to see and great credit to you.

I hope whover buys this gem will crack on and finish it to the same standard you achieve.

Maybe think again DD and put it to one side for when the flying site scene brightens up - I am certain you will regret

your decision in the future.