Thanks Danny and cheers for the link Mark, not very expensive those diesels are they.

The lower front fus gave me much hastle as if built to plan it would be ply sheeted or stringered out and covered, however either option would end in denying any future access to the engine mounting bolts and landing gear anchorages without major surgery, i also needed to think about engine cooling air flow exits.

Regarding the covering i made the front section from balsa block which is then screw retained giving an access route to the engine mounting nuts, the next section will be covered with mesh to serve as an air flow exit forming part of the cooling system, another exit will be through the scale lower radiator housing which fits between the wheel struts, this also covers the foreward landing gear anchorages so will also have to have removable fixings to allow access, the lower wing which should be glued has already been made removable giving access to the rear anchorages.

As for cooling there is the cool air inlet which is mesh covered in the face of the nose cone also the two scale upright slits either side of it which have been angled through to either side of the cylinder head, the exposed rocker cover will act as a heat sink anf finally another inlet above through the scale vent housing on top of the nose section. Exit allowance is via a triangular hole in the lower firewall followed by a duct down through the lower mesh on the underside and also in to the lower radiator housing where prop wash (hopefully) will serve to turbo charge the air flow out. Any thoughts or comments on this one would well recieved. indecision

This photo shows the firewall exit and the rough diagram (if you can make it out) shows the method.

Bill,

My MK1 version had a length of 2" vac. hose through the firewall just behind the cylinder head and exiting in the middle of the u/c mounting and it acted lioke a venturi pulling the air right over the head.

Mk2 version I have drilled 2" holes in the formers up to the cockpit and the air will escape through the cockpit,hope it works.

The lower radiator housing has now been carved and sanded to shape, i wanted to avoid a fixing method that leaves screw holes showing the way that the lower front covering does so i soldered a small bit of copper to one end of some 4mm brass tube to give a strong fix and glued it to the inside surface with epoxy after lining it up, then threaded the inner of the tube to take a set screw, the tube passes through a hole in the landing gear platform and the set screw is tightened from above in the fuel tank area.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward now with the landing gear, there are some support wires which replicate a scale detail, they run between the uprights and then out to join the wing.

The wires are 1mm, the joiners are brass pipe 1mm i.d. and each is soldered at one end only so that they are telescopic to take up strut wire movement, the plan does not describe how to join them to the wing so I have returned the wire along the wing rib and bent the end in to a hole made in the side of the wing mount fixing block then epoxied in place.

The wheel spats consist of a centre block with an inner and outer face, these components should be glued together in place on the strut wires but once again if it was necessary to remove a wheel one would have to hack it up. I decided to put the three components together then drill through from the outer face to a depth midway into the inner face, I then glued brass tube to the inner face, the outer end of the tube has been tapped to take screws, once sanded to shape I glued the inner face to the strut wires and once set followed by glueing the centre block on to it leaving the outer face to be removable and held in place by screws. The strut fairings use a 5mm outer face of which the inner face has to be grooved out until the wires are as good as buried, once glued into place a thin piece of balsa sheet covers the inner face. All of course has to be sanded to profile. I also added a piece of balsa to the top forward corner as it is a scale detail which is not allowed for.

Bill

The alert came through on my email so I saw the error and got in real quick.

the only other guy who can not get the spelling right is the king of NE1 sir Kendo Andersonic so he now

calls me JC.

My Heinkel is all finished ,just needs assembly but I just keep looking at it and think maybe tomorrow !!!

smile d

• 4 weeks later...

Great, got another fiddly bit constructed, so now (apart from a bit more sanding and profiling) the wheel spats, wheels and strut fairings are about there. I have used bigger wheels (1"3/4) instead of the ones supplied which are only about 30mm, I had to add a small amount more of balsa to widen the spats slightly in order to facilitate them however I am still concerned that the model will have difficulty flying off of grass which is going to be a pain, this only leaves a hand launch which could be disastrous on the maiden if something is out, anyway a worry for later, heres some pics.

• 1 month later...

I have now made the top fus. section containing the "office" and painted up the pilot which is one of Pete`s with the addition of bestowing an iron cross on him, as with other sections of this build i have had to steer away from the plan in order to have access to the servos so it also is removable, here are some pics.

I have now made the top fus. section containing the "office" and painted up the pilot which is one of Pete`s with the addition of bestowing an iron cross on him, as with other sections of this build i have had to steer away from the plan in order to have access to the servos so it also is removable, here are some pics.