Bill

That tank set up looks fine,make sure you can get the battery under the tank,got to keep the tail end as light as possible

My first one had 1lb of church roof up front to get the c/g correct.

The home made silencer in the pic is just a piece of 22mm copper pipe with a 2p piece silver soldered on each end.

The MK 11 is still work in progress as other priorities come along like gardening etc.

JIm

• 2 weeks later...

The lower wing is intended to be glued in place but i prefer a detachable one so another alteration to the plan was required, am waiting for some plastic shoulder washers now to insert into the wing.dscn2478.jpgdscn2479.jpg Getting close now to glueing all the important interior fus parts now but need the engine to set things up, hope to get one at Weston Park tomorrow possibly an ASP 30 four stroke as it uses a very compact silencer thats capable of being set in a variety of angles. While i await a few parts i knocked up this bit which i think is the fuel tank on the real thing, (feel free to clarify please) it is carved out of a balsa block with some copper wire soldered into hoops for the ends.dscn2480.jpgdscn2481.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, after quite a break from this build due to good flying weather, holidays and such i thought i better get back on the case. The ASP 30 looks as though i can get it in cowl o.k. having obtained a 90 degree manifold, i have carried out another mod to the original C.L. plan by making a removable cover for the fuel tank, battery and R.X. compartments and have started carving the nose section which is a bit tricky with all the different shapes on it.dscn2490.jpgdscn2491.jpgdscn2492.jpgdscn2493.jpg

Something that the plans do not include is some of the scale details, there is a radiator duct running along the top of the nose section so i made one out of sheet aluminium using the mesh from a frying pan splash guard on the inlet, i also notice from pictures of the real plane that there are some blisters leading into the gun barrel outlets so i made some of these also. As this plan was intended for C/L flight and as i am a novice at building from scratch (this is my second scratch build) it`s possible that i have bitten off more than i can chew but i will see the job through and on that note i welcome any advice, critisism or comments that you more experienced people can give, there is still a lot of gravity in this position of the learning curve. I must also with this build bite the bullet and finish shaping the nose cone, it`s such a wierd shape it scares me a bit. My original hopes to get the engine completely in cowl may fall slightly short as it is looking as though the rocker cover may protrude slightly.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, managed to get the nose shaped in to some sort of sembelance of the real thing then had to set about hacking it up to squeeze the rocker cover in so bang goes my wish to get the motor all in cowl. However it does not look too ugly allthough it detracts from the scale finish, it is just a bit too far foreward to cover it with the inlet duct so i will place the duct behind in a more scale position and allow it to add a bit of cooling, will have to cut another hole now in the front for the same purpose and will cover it with mesh. This one is throwing many challenges. (but i love a challenge)

dscn2497.jpg

dscn2498.jpg

dscn2499.jpg

Nice unusual subject and excellent work so far.

One thing that has struck me though, (forgive me if I have missed elsewhere in the thread whilst reading through)

You mention that this model was intended for a 2.49 Diesel. I'm surprised you didn't go for one of the PAW Engines as they produce one in exactly that size. It would have also fitted perfectly inside your cowl along with the standard exhaust supplied with it (PAW's have perfect compact exhausts) No Glow-plugs to mess with and that lovely Diesel aroma

Looking forwards to seeing more of this one though.

Mark

Hi Mark, you`r probably right and i can see where you are coming from but i know nothing about diesel engines and had formed the opinion that they were outdated as i don`t know anyone who uses one, i`m sure that i could easily read up on operating them but my thought modes never went in that direction and it`s too late now, however, thanks for your input mate, much appreciated.

No problem Bill,

PAW are still very much in production, they are based in Macclesfield. (British Engines !! ) I've had excellent service off these guys too.

The 2.49cc (.15) no longer appears to be manufactured but it's nearest is the slightly larger PAW .19 (3.27cc) Actual engine size is pretty much the same as the original 2.49cc. 

I actually have Two PAW .19's and they are great engines

If you need to check them out, they can be found here, **LINK**

The Website looks antique but it is still live. You can see pics of the different diesels on there. The Silencers look longer than they actually are in the photos but they do work well.

Good Luck with the model anyway.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 27/09/2013 20:55:52