I fancied building a bipe so started looking to see what was going for the right price, low and behold, on e-bay a heinkel HE51 kit, the seller claims he does not know anything about it as it was a loft find, 94cm span and intended for a 2.49 diesel, anyway for £30 i thought it was worth the risk especialy as it being an unusual model, it appealed to me, so i put my last few seconds £30 bid in and it was mine.It is intended to use a grey and red colour scheme but i fancy doing it like this one.he 51 drawing.jpg when the kit arrived I discovered that it was of Spanish origin, a company called Modelhob, any wording on the plan was in Spanish but it`s a language i have a bit of a grasp of, the first odd thing i noticed was that it is supposed to have a 20 gram piece of lead fitted in the starboard wing plus a few other things on the plan didn`t quite look right, so i launched the question amongst the much learned members on this site and the consensus was what i suspected, it is intended for control line flight, a discipline i know little or nothing about.dscn2444.jpg Next step then is to alter the plans to facilitate ailerons, i did some research and discovered there were a variety of aileron configurations used both on the real thing and other models which had been built, i decided to go with upper wing only and one that is close to the real thing. You can just see here the direction i intend to go sketched in grease pencil on the poly. sheet covering the plan.dscn2451.jpg More to come later.

Bill, you seem to have purchased a really good kit there, quite envious. Just the size I like.

I am sure that the build will provide a lot of pleasure.

Of course, i would go electric, as there would be no ugly exhaust of the wrong type sticking out. But I guess you will be IC?

Erfoig

plenty room to hide the exhaust,90 deg. bend on manifold and the pipe goes through the bottom of the cowl

If anyone is so inclined I have the very same plan trhat BB3 is using surplus to requirements,just send me a PM and I'll pop it in the post FOC

Jim

Bill.

Mine is 64" span,I made the cowl from balsa,not an easy job,bit here and a bit there but got there in the end.

My first one,I made the exhaust pipes from car bodge,made a balsa one first,cut it in half and pressed each half into some car bodge and presto I had a mold.made two halves and glued them together.

The new one I.m busy with at the moment is done the easy way,plumbers elbows and some copper pipe,not quite scale but good enough for me.

I`m glad you posted that pic. Jim, it`s the best shot i`ve come accross to see the nose shaping close up, also was not aware you were building another. Today i got stuck in to fitting the aileron servo, very little room but just enough to get a 9 gram micro buried, even then i had to file a smidgen off the corner to line up with the upper surface profile.dscn2464.jpg.dscn2458.jpg.dscn2457.jpg More to follow when i`ve progressed a bit further.

Progress was hampered due to the plane i normaly fly sustaining an injury and requiring some repairs, all done now and the port upper wing has been fixed to the centre section with it`s 1.5 degree dihederal.dscn2465.jpg The starboard wing was brought up to the same stage and also fixed to the centre section. dscn2467.jpgdscn2466.jpg

Just been having a rough mackle together of the fus to work things out, the battery and throttle servo can go in the second compartment along with the r/x, the rudder and elevator servos in the third compartment benieth the pilot and the fuel tank is a problem, it goes in the first compartment but originaly the engine would be a 2.49 diesel so the metal tank supplied is of no use, it is not much bigger than a matchbox so good for about 3 mins of use, the model lends itself perfectly to a 25 size motor but i need to find a tank of odd dimensions, 60mm x 60mm x 40 to 45mm deep, anyone know of a supplier with a good range of tanks?dscn2468.jpg dscn2469.jpg.

Thanks Jim i`ll take a look yes. Was going flying today but our field is on top of a hill and when i got there the wind was very high compared to lower down so aborted the idea. I went home and felt like seeing another part of the HE in a completed state so i built up the tail plane and elevator.dscn2471.jpgdscn2470.jpg

Edited By Bill Brown 3 on 01/06/2013 19:13:56

Bill

Just been looking at the plan,if you eliminate the engine bearers and fit a normal mount I reckon a Slec 4oz. tank will fit,would mean cutting a tank sized suqare out of C3.

Looking at it again the tank would sit on the bearers and be the correct height for the carb.

Hows about hiding the silencer something like this.

Food for thought there Jim regarding the silencer, i think the engine bearers are crucial to the fus stregnth and therefore necessary appart from the foreward part where as you say i could use a mount and may well do. A friend of mine had a spare slec 6oz tank and if i moved bulk head 3 back 20mm it would fit fine, i can`t see any implications to this and would probably make up a more skeletal bulkhead 3a to sit in the 3 position and also let the tank in, what do you think ?dscn2473.jpgdscn2472.jpgdscn2474.jpg Hows your`s coming along by the way?