Cambrian Spitfire build- anyone interested?

Hello all,

The exams are passing and the summer of building getting ever closer, so I have some projects lined up. One of which is this, a Cambrian Spitfire MKIX (not the funfighter) at 1/8 scale.

I will be using retracts for the first time so I'll have to modify her for that and she'll be my first warbird.

Is anyone interested at all in a build log of her for when I build her? The Domino thread didn't attract that much interest despite the aeroplane flying as brilliantly as she does (still going beautifully) so if there isn't sufficient interest I won't bother.

Perhaps if I weave in some Battle of Britain film quotes?!

CS

PS: Scheme will be the Spirit of Kent Spitfire with lovely invasion stripes.

Advert

CCS - go for it, builds always make interesting reads, especially scale jobs.

People may not post on it every 5 mins, but enough read them, even if only 1 person finds it helpful/informative/interesting its worth it. I put a build blogish type post on my online poker site, because the plane was going to be liveried in their colours, there was only 5 or 6 regular posters, but the blog had over 5000 hits and even atrracted the attention of the site managers.

Plus its always interesting to see what everyone is getting upto.

Posted by Codename-John on 24/05/2013 11:54:45:

If your going for MKIX and a scheme with invasion stripes then why BoB quotes ? the MKIX was introduced 2 years after the BoB, and the invasion was 4 years later ?

Fun! I love that film, even if the IX is a bit later it is still in the same spirit!

I might do, it depends. She'll be as light as possible Danny, I'll find anywhere to make her light.

CS

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 24/05/2013 13:25:53:
Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 24/05/2013 13:25:19:
Posted by Codename-John on 24/05/2013 11:54:45:

If your going for MKIX and a scheme with invasion stripes then why BoB quotes ? the MKIX was introduced 2 years after the BoB, and the invasion was 4 years later ?

Fun! I love that film, even if the IX is a bit later it is still in the same spirit!

I might do, it depends. She'll be as light as possible Danny, I'll find anywhere to make her light.

CS

Edit: I'm at school at the moment but away this weekend, keep posting though.

Hi CS,

This will be a great build to watch, I built a Cambrian P521D Mustang in the 90's, the same size as the one you are doing.

I'd love to see this build blog and how she flies, do try to keep her as light as possible as you know these old traditional kits are often heavy and overly cautious.

Do it! it''ll be great

What retracts will you use, Electric, Pnematic or Mechanical?

Merge the love of IXs and BoB by building one the Spitfires used in the film. Those naughty film-makers didn't use Spitfire 1s or 2s they used 9s and 14s. And when the groundcrew burn the "lame ducks" they burn awfully well for a metal-skinned aeroplane tutt tutt...

Weren't the 'lame ducks' Hurricanes?

My father in law tells a story about driving past Duxford when the film was being made. The saw all the planes sat in a corner of a field and stopped to look. He says that there was no-one around so they wandered around at will inspecting the mock up Hurricanes. The French Chateau was a scaffold and ply wood structure. Can you imagine wandering around a film set today.

CS a build blog isn't just about imparting knowledge to the reader, its about encouraging each other in what can be a very solitary hobby.

Building a model is a very enjoyable journey for me, and one that shouldn't be rushed but savoured, if friends can come along for the walk all the better.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Bucksboy on 24/05/2013 18:59:42:

Weren't the 'lame ducks' Hurricanes?

My father in law tells a story about driving past Duxford when the film was being made. The saw all the planes sat in a corner of a field and stopped to look. He says that there was no-one around so they wandered around at will inspecting the mock up Hurricanes. The French Chateau was a scaffold and ply wood structure. Can you imagine wandering around a film set today.

Back in the sixties when I was living in Lydd, my mates and I heard that there was some filming going on at Dungeness. So one evening after school we got on our bikes and rode down there to see what was going on. In an open space on the shingle ( if you have ever been to Dungeness, you will know what I mean) without any sign of security there were about a dozen beautifull models, about six foot span (from memory) lying out in the open. There was a caravan, with a sign that said Spitfire Productions, in which we presumed there was a night watchman but we never saw anyone.

They were not flying models, they were dropped from a helicopter into the sea. There is one scene in the film, about three or four seconds, when a doomed aircraft is obviously out of scale with the waves.

Edit: sorry, off topic.

Edited By Tony K on 28/05/2013 00:21:45

CS.. Have you seen this kit? Its more but retract ready. Worth knowing about as they are about the same size and some of the accessories would be suitable for the Cambrian kit. . have you thout about HK retracts?. So far, for me, they just work and are a bargain.

Here is one, looks very nice (apart from the colour, horrible in my opinion!) and with retracts, mechanical by the looks of t, but the wheels are too small. The full size has 24" wheels, so divide that by eight and happily it is simply 3", but I'll need to get as thin ones as possible.

By the looks of it, I'll have to make my own chin scoop. How should I do that?

CS

Judging the response to that question I don't think I will do a build log, but I might set up a thread to update from time to time with queries and questions, like Danny Fenton's Hurricane 'quest'.

But to recap for anyone interested, she will be 55" span (1/8 scale) with electric retracts, it's a warbird so a four stroke engine is the only choice, and that will be a Saito 62a, and she will be based on TA805.

CS