Help choosing first glider, please

Advert

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place as there are plenty of guys here to provide good advice.

I've moved your post and started a new thread as it will better reflect your question.

Can I suggest you have a look at the threads in our Beginners Section if you haven't already done so? - lots of useful information there.

First question from me is what type of gliding are you planning to do? Slope-soaring, flat field and electric-assisted flying are all possibilities. Are you planning to go it alone or would you consider the easier route of finding a club and getting some instruction and first-hand help?

Pete

A an absolute beginner, I've started with a Bixler 2. It seems stable, and has started me gliding. I have added white gaffer tape to the nose and a sngle run of clear reinforcing tape all down the sides, plus clear packing tape to all the leading edges. Basically, this plane is teaching me to fly, and all my mishaps (so far) have been pretty painless.

Posted by Chuck Plains on 27/05/2013 07:03:54:

As an absolute beginner, I've started with a Bixler 2.

1+

BUT- buddy up with someone in your local club. It may look easy in competent hands, but still is tricky when learning (that's why we do it isn't it? If it was easy we wouldn't bother!)

If competent, this sort of design (I have an MPX Easystar on high kv in runner and 3S lipo) is highly versatile. It can be aerobatic, you can aerotow it using a Velcro attachment, slope it, thermal it, hell I have even used it as a float plane and as an FPV platform.

Steve

If you want a sloper for windy weather then the Wildthing is an ideal starter, very robust you have to try very hard to damage it. If you want something for lighter winds and possibly flat field (with a bungy or winch) the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro is also highly recommended, these too are quite resiliant, I lauched mine from a bungy at the weekend with out switching on, if went up OK, did a few gentle circuits and landed in the next field, thank goodness it didn't hit a thermal.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 27/05/2013 08:22:46:

I lauched mine from a bungy at the weekend with out switching on, if went up OK, did a few gentle circuits and landed in the next field, thank goodness it didn't hit a thermal.

Man that sounds perfect for a bash about glider! All the best planes will fly themselves after all.

+1 for the Wildthing if you're slope soaring!

It'll fly in any thing from "a gnats fart" right upto "any stonger I'll have trouble standing!"

I went for the 60" so it's got more wing area for not much more weight (lower wing loading so better in a light breeze) and it's easier to see when it get REALLY Hiiiigh!

And as already stated it'll easily withstand those "slight knocks"smile o that are inevitable may occur whilst learning!

CB

Well first of all thanks for all your constructive comments, much appreciated. As for Slope or Flat I think it will be a bit of both as I have a large flat area art the top of the street and a hill fort about a mile away. Rentman got me into this and is keeping me in check. I think once I've made my first plane I'll join a club and that seems the way to go, looking at all the forum.

Thanks again. Barri

Posted by Rentman on 29/05/2013 00:46:45:

Hi Barry, I'd go with the Bixler as suggested - unless you want a build project. I have plans a'plenty.

Ian

An excellent choice, even if I say so myself.

I re-decorated and modified mine mildly before flying.

Check out all my pics here .

front 3 quarter.jpg

Flouro and high contrast really do help, especially if it gets a bit of a way awahahay! But it's easy to fly, tough-ish when it bounces, and is cheap as chips. I paid £62 shipped, including 4 servos and a motor, from Hobbyking. smile d

Any questions, fell free to ask. But I'm off out for a fly in just a while. Oh yus! face 23

Edited By Chuck Plains on 29/05/2013 18:11:39

• 3 weeks later...

I had a brilliant evening with the Bix yesterday, at Little Haldon, (where they held the Devon Glider Day a while back) A lovely sunset, the wind dropped to almost nothing, and the Bix pretty much flew itself at times, doing big 100 foot circles while marginally decending from a great height. I guess there must have been a thermal there, but I haven't yet learned to actively take advanage of them.