not enough something !!

hi guys , i've converted my dolphin edf jet into a pusher , i contacted hobbyking asking their advice on motor size and prop , and they give me this info

Rpm/V: 2200kv
Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~3S (7.4v to 11.1v)
Weight: 50g
Watts: 342w
Max Current: 34A
ESC: 40A
Suggested Prop: 7x4(2S) ~ 5x5 (3S)
so this is exactly what i got , but yes theres a but , i took it out and on hand launching at full power there didn't seem to be enough of something , to keep it airborne , hence it dived for the ground twice , with the second occasion terminating my trials forthwith .
the prop is 5x5 as the 7x4 wouldn't fit because of the clearance from pod to fusalage . has anyone got any ideas ?

Advert

Have you measured the watts and the rpm, on the new set up.

I guess you are well aware that bigger props mean better performance, for the same revs etc. Can you not stick a 3s battery in, whilst you are at it. I personally like volts!

What were the watts it used to fly on?

John, we need to know the weight of the model to comment really. Its possible you just don't have enough power. Do you have a watt metter? If so how many watts are you getting?

The second possibility is that thrust angle of the motor isn't right. Being a top (pod mounted) pusher it might be that thrust line is out with respect to wing's centre of lift.

A third possibility is that you may have shifted the CoG relative to where it should be.

Without more inforimation its difficult to say.

BEB

like all of the above agree prop on wrong way and is it a pusher prop

is it going right way wind towards the rear when prop going anticlock wise

cog and biggest battery you can fit in and would go for biggest motor that would fit in the pod or even better cut nose off and put the motor wear it should be on the nose

what ever you do cog afterwards not trust makers put numbers in a cog calc

Another vote for looks like you have the prop on round the wrong way. Remember that the front of the prop needs to be towards the front of the plane. If you need to reverse the motor direction swap over two of the three motor leads.

oh dear me , where would i be without you guys ? i'm so glad i put this thread in the beginners section because that just shows what i am ........... a beginner , but i must say i enjoy the failures as much as the successes , simply because i tend to learn more from my failures .

And yes it was on the wrong way thinking i've turned it round , but i can't do anymore testing just yet until the glue dries thumbs up

thanks everyone yet again beer

well took the dolphin out today , and what a difference putting a prop on the right way round makes wink 2 it flew fantastic , much better than the edf unit , i've just measured from the motor shaft to the top of the fuselage , and i can just get a 6x4 on , so i've ordered a couple to try out , i think it would climb and perform much faster with the 6x4 ??

forgot to mention , while i was out flying today , i noticed two other guys further down ther field from me flying model aircraft , so i packed my gear up and drove round to the other side of the field to meet them , two very nice sociable guys , so all in all a great day , and two new friends to boot , can't be bad thumbs up