E-flite Apprentice S - newly updated with a panic button

Gordon Bushell

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I was browsing online earlier, and noticed that the model had updated graphics.

On closer inspection, the blurb indicates that it is stabilised, and the pilot can choose by how much in flight. If that's not enough, there is a panic button which, given enough height "aggressively" returns the model to straight and level flight.

It certainly looks to have potential.

I think it will probably increase a beginners first model's lifetime, and save some from becoming disillusioned.

Any drawbacks?

The next development will be that it knows how far away the ground is and proactively avoids it. Although I suppose that would prevent landing! I suppose it would also need to know where all the local trees were for best results.

I think I recognise the flying field in the video from Phoenix.

John

I think that you'll find that they're at Eli Field

It looks like a great place to fly and I think that you'll find that the US Horizon Hobby plane demo videos are mostly filmed there.

With regards the technology, Horizon Hobbyist is once again leading the way. AS3X recently and now this.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking at getting one of these as my first model, having become "proficient" on Phoenix ( yeah, I know, it doesn't mean I'll be any good with the real thing!).

Two questions

1) has anyone else got one yet as I haven't seen any other discussions on here about them,

2) everywhere seems out of stock in the UK, anyone in the trade know when they are coming back in?

This was my first model four years ago albiet minus the stabilisation and panic button, and it served me well. I learnt on the buddy system and the only drawback was my instructor felt it was a bit light for much more than a stiff breaze. I'm sure that now with the stabilisation it will be better able to handle a stronger wind. Mines up in the loft now but still fit to fly.

Alwyn