Giant Shark are Back

Advert

I have just ordered 10 off, 2mm Clevisis from BRC. Whom also do not have them apparently in stock, but take the order.

In some ways this is a strong pointer as to what GS needs to stock, as they do not seem to stock metal clevisis.

What really sends a strong signal these items need stocking, is that HK have them on back order.

I would also urge Ian to purge all the zero items from the display, where there is no intention of restocking. I went through 5 pages out of 10, which were all at "0". Perhaps the details can be placed in a reference area, where useful information can be made available on a historic/reference basis for modellers. Although if this cost money I can understand why you would not.

It does seem to me that the catalogue/data base, needs effective management. From Ians perspective a major issue must be the cost of maintaining the system. It is easy to trivialise how much this will cost, but is (from experience) a very real issue. Figures such as 25% of construction cost being quoted as being typical for maintenance. I suspect that this site is under going a re-jig, not just to improve performance, but to manage cost, to fit with budgets and resources.

This may seem a very critical posting, yet i do feel is very relevant.

Restating my message, deal with the site issues. Then order stuff that sells.

Posted by Erfolg on 15/07/2013 14:57:57:

I have just ordered 10 off, 2mm Clevisis from BRC. Whom also do not have them apparently in stock, but take the order.

My thoughts but then if they did take our order they do not want us all screaming at them (where the devil are they, when will they be in stock). If they reply, that is vital staff reasorces being used (someone emailing when they could be posting etc.) Just look at HK's site for that happening.

Do your best GS I will buy from you or ... but I will always look to you first, all the best you have my support for now.

Regards David

If you buy from HK, when the stock is on back order, you see a warning notice, telling you about delays. If you order and there is a lengthy delay, you only have yourself to blame.

With BRC, it is broadly similar, you are warned there will be a delay. Again, no point in whingeing.

GS issues are quite different. There "0" items will in many cases remain so, indefinitely. For Ian GS is a challenge, he needs a plan, it is not rocket science, the issues that need addressing can be itemised easily.

• Budget available for restocking
  • Shopping list of what should be stocked
  • A policy with respect to managing stock levels
  • A plan to deal with 6 and 12 months of trading
  • A five year plan, to identify where you want to go and do
  • A monitoring and reporting system, so you know how you are doing.
  • A IT policy, how much it costs, who does what/how the site is managed, how the site is to be developed and why.

Non of this should be pages of guff, single sheets will deal with most aspects.

GS should (if it is not) be a gold mine. It has the advantage of leverage via RCM&E/myhobbystore, supporting, benefiting from magazines project,the plan and kiting operations.

With respect to BRC/Robotbirds and service.

Since placing my order for metal clevis, possibly one or two days back, which were out of stock, I have received a number of posts.

These post have advised as to the stage my order had achieved. I have just received a post to tell me that my items have just been posted, the time, the carrier.

This is indicative of the level of service and customer interaction that has become de facto for the market leaders. The first I have encountered this approach was via HK. I know that a small, almost vanishingly small number has complained, yet the many thousands of customers do not complain, as they are satisfied.

Ian has a real challenge, he is engaged in a race which he will never win, although loosing is a real threat.

Part of the issue for GS could be that the cash flow, is at present low, only Ian and the head office will know. Possibly he is burdened with stock that is not moving. Yet the none moving stock, is probably should not be the main issue. It is restocking with what does move, then the slow moving stock will probably piggy back onto to the fast movers. I can imagine that Ian looks daily at the cash flow, with head office is  always in the backgound, a presence felt, although not normally seen.

A real threat to integrated businesses, is that when doing well, and other parts are not, the accountants will be looking to dip into the reserves. So that is a down side of the integrated business.

Yep, it is a real challenge, the online modelling retailers are increasingly professional, in all respects.

Edited By Erfolg on 16/07/2013 13:16:26

Just my thoughts,

I have placed about six orders with GS this year ranging from motors, li-po’s to servos, etc delivery has been excellent usually next day and placing the order on line is a doddle. Yep there are a number of zero stock products but I just don’t order them, if I need them I will look at other suppliers.

There is no way that I would place an order for out of stock items with any company for anything, way too many painful experiences in the past (none modelling related) just one of my little foibles. crying 2

I use GS as my first choice supplier and with this level of service will continue to do so; I really do not get stressed over the zero stock items. Managing the vagaries of the supply chain, getting the right product at the right price at the right time is not a task I would like to take on.

Keep up the good work GS. cool

Although un scientific, GS do not seem to get the positive mentions that GC achieved on a regular basis. From memory being recognised by RCM&E as the best Internet model retailer, for a number of years.

Although HK never receive a positive mention by RCM&E, I have noticed that a number of contributors to the magazine content are using quite clearly items from HK. I assume this occurs when it is there own money that is being spent.

I do want to see GS up there amongst the best. I do recognise that it is the wider buying public that has to be satisfied. It is not my individual quirks that matter. It is the broad expectations of the thousands that have to be addressed.

The items out of stock issue, is a conundrum.

If my LMS does not have what I want, it can be anything from next day to months before the item is restocked, if ever. The biggest downer, is that I must make the time to go there, and spend about £10 in fuel alone.

On the other hand the Internet allows you to surf, until you hit pay dirt, or not. The approach by HK, puts a broad window on the resupply issue. BRC/Robotbirds makes no promises, although for me they seem to have delivered.

As a one time Project Manager, not having a delivery date, would have me frothing at the mouth, demanding action, who in their right mind places an order without a contractual obligation etc, etc. Yet, the other way that critical items would be addressed is to get the orders in early, and then monitor, diligently. With modelling, I normally make out a list of must have items needed for the build, get them ordered, and also have a good stock of consumables. Like much in life, I do get it wrong. But that is me.

I believe that the Internet model supplies are here to stay. Even if a UK government put an additional sales tax on Internet sales, the sales will just migrate to continental EU, such as Luxembourg, where even VAT is much lower. In my opinion, there is a real future for the likes of GS, but they have to attract and satisfy the thousands, not just the odd one like me.

I found it was ironic that HMV lobbied governments saying that it was Channel Island Vat avoidance that was killing their business, yet reducing the exception, had no impact of note, they went under, with no noticeable change in the trading position. No, Internet trading is here to stay, for the foreseeable future.

I stick by original proposition, GS are in a race for survival, that they will never win, yet could loose. So that much used phrase of "continual improvement" is a must.

Edited By Erfolg on 16/07/2013 14:59:32

I have tried to get onto the GS website several times in the last few days but they're not connecting. I phoned a number which appeared under one of the, GS related, links and I recognised the voice of Hobbystore's Nichole, who I had dealt with regarding the purchase of a plan, but she said that she didn't know why the site was down or how long it might take to relaunch.

I bought a FAAT (four at a time) Lipo Charger from GS, over a week ago, and received the famous quick delivery and couldn't fault the service smiley. However, I had a question re the charger, now self-resolved, but I'm somewhat concerned about the future of support, warranties etc .....impossible if you can't get in touch.

Frank

I have had no trouble getting on the web site as my credit card will testify.

Just tried it again and it works fine.

They are a bit slow responding to emails, but give a follow up and you usually get a responce.

Darryl

That's amazing Darryl!

I've just tried again, for the umpteenth time with no luck. I usually just put 'Giant Shark' into Google and go from one of the links. I also entered the url (www.giantshark.co.uk) directly into the address bar and still no luck. So, I don't know how you're managing it.

Perhaps you'd be good enough to reply with the link that you're successfully using; that would be appreciated.

Before anyone says it, my system is working perfectly with all other websites....but I'd better check that it's not blocked somehow on my system. I don't think so as Google just comes up with

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Cheers

Frank

Beautiful flying weather so, being retired, I've been getting plenty in. Yesterday my hard pressed charger packed in so got onto GiantShark and ordered another in the evening. I've just been emailed that my order has been despatched, you can't get fairer than that. Now it's in the hands of 'The Post', wonder if they'll perform as good as GS.

Frank, I too can confirm that the website is up an running.

If you open a command prompt window (XP: START>RUN>CMD.EXE) or (Win7: START>CMD.EXE) and type:

ping www.giantshark.co.uk, you should get a reply from their website, if not you may have an issue somewhere, most probably with your DNS.

Thanks a lot for trying to help. I use the compatibility mode frequently (I'm using WinXP) but it's only designed to improve the appearance of a site and to help with table positioning etc. not with accessing websites.

Thank you also, WF, and I will try that at some point but I don't understand why all other websites work except this one. Very strange.

Actually I constantly delete browser histories and never use add-ons. It's really great that you're trying to help but I would think that those Microsoft suggestions are for when you can't get onto any website, and, as I say I have no problem with any other sites.

Logically, it looks as if the problem is at their end BUT I'm baffled why I can't get through whilst you folk can.

In fact, I had a brainwave and tried it on my wife's Win7 laptop!! Doesn't work either. Could it be Sky.com, my Internet provider? What a waste of time these issues are.

I just phoned a friend and it does work on his PC. So there must be something strange happening at my end or at Sky's end.

Apologies for wasting your time....and THANKS again. smiley

Cheerio,

Frank

Thanks so much Allan. I only just saw your helpful post and it's a time since I used the CMD.EXE...usually on the advice of someone knowledgeable like yourself!

I just carried out your suggestion and there were four instances of 'Request timed out'. That was followed by:

Ping statistics for 74.86.118.192:

Packets: Sent + 4, Received = 0 Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Could this be my ISP Sky.com?

Thank you also Malcolm. I'm retired too and making the most of the weather. I bought the GT Power xdrive 6 'four at a time' charger charger. VERY pleased by the quality of product and service....couldn't have been faster.

Thanks again everyone,

Frank

I thought it might be a DNS problem but if you cannot ping the web server then there is a problem with your internet connection. That is the correct IP address for www.giantshark.co.uk - 74.86.118.192

You could try powering off your router, leave it a couple of mins and power it back on and keep your fingers crossed !

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 17/07/2013 14:02:21

Thanks a lot for the suggestion WF. Stupidly, perhaps, but I don't think I would have thought of that. The Diagnose Connections list are as follows: (we've all seen these a number of times I'm sure)

1. Internet connectivity has been lost.
  2. The website is temporarily unavailable.
  3. The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
  4. The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
  5. There might be a typing error in the address.
  6. If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

Before your suggestion I was thinking no. 4.

Again, it's very kind of you chaps trying to help....especially as it's not exactly modelling.

I'm going to turn the modem off whilst I'm having lunch.

Cheers,

Frank

GREAT NEWS! Thank you all so much, especially WF who came up with the winning suggestion! It must have been connected (excuse the pun) with the modem.smiley

I can't thank you enough...amazing contributions chaps.

I can now die happily....I would really have missed not being able to get back to the GS website!

Cheerio,

Frank

Posted by Frank Marshall on 17/07/2013 14:12:18:

Thanks a lot for the suggestion WF. Stupidly, perhaps, but I don't think I would have thought of that.

Hi Frank stay with Sky, Im with Virginmedia and if you ring there help desk the first thing they say is turn the...

For me in Folkestone VM is Very slow, well done.

David

These pictures tell you all you need know about on line shopping.

109motor.jpg

Motor from HK ordered on Monday night.

brcclevis.jpg

Clevis from BRC ordered on Tuesday and out of stock.

Both of these arrived today via the poste and parcel post.

Fast service is now the norm, it is a given, anything less then some will complain, even though the LMS is for most no quicker.

GS need to match the rest, if possible be better, with respect to service.

Which brings us back to stock levels, prices and the site, are they as good or better than the competitors?