Jodel D-120

john melia 1

Hi John

Interestingly the 112/117/119/120/1050 don't have "inset" ailerons. None of those Jodels have any such thing ! The aileron extends right to the tip. Also the inner (flat portion) is washed out from right from the root to dihedral break. Plus the washed out tip portions of course.. Well, mine is !

The VW powered D18 does have a non-washed out centre section. The washout is all in the ailerons and tip dihedral section.

I just thought I'd mention it in passing !

David

Advert

Well due to the overwhelming response from my question about prop size (I settled for a 12x6) , I thought I'd pose this question.................

Balancing without any weight at indicated cg...........

with weight ..........

i think the nose heavy photo without weight will be ok ? What do you think . There's 20grams of lead at the tail to acheive the balance in the second photo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,

Just been alerted to this thread, very useful to many out there. I do think that it would have been nice to have been alerted to the fact that the ply floor part 120 was too small prior to your posting on 07/07/2013 12:52:50 in order to enable us to correct it both for you and for others. We only found this out by another customer alerting us to it (privately). We have now amended that, also the parts 215 & 216 that were too narrow.

Eddie

hi eddie , I never gave it a thought to contact you , it wasnt a big deal really I just cut another from a bit of ply I had from the bottom of an old drawer thumbs up

May I say its an excellent model eddie , it flies beautiful , have to be careful on take off and landing from grass as it has a tendancy to nose over , but I increased the forward rake of the u/c and fitted bigger wheels , so this problem has been greatly reduced .

Thanks again eddie for an excellent kit yes

Hi John,

Thanks for the way you put it, but to us it is a very big deal because if we have overlooked or missed what some may think of as a small error, others will see that as a real problem. Also it means that we are cutting scrap parts without realising it.

As many of you out there know, we do try our utmost to get things right, and regarding the customer having to make parts the correct size is not quite what we intended. We are both glad it flies ok (we knew that anyway) it can be a tad quick, and like any tail dragger, prone to nose overs, but generally a good flyer.

Anyhow, Happy flying all,

Eddie.

John's post on the fitting of the ply part certainly didn't come over as a criticism to me - more a 'Have I done something wrong?' comment,TBH.

I'd bet there are very few kits anywhere on the market which have no issues whatsoever and, as modellers, we tend to take such things in our stride. If the kit is particularly bad, then by all means raise it with the manufacturer, but for one piece of ply - surely not?

If someone does a build blog on a forum, it's not unreasonable that they might mention the negative issues as well as the positive - that's what a forum is about and what we are all here for, so I'm not convinced it's reasonable for the manufacturer to publicly take the customer to task over fair comment.....

None of us doubt the overall quality and excellence of the DB kits, that's for sure, and it's clearly something you've worked very hard to achieve.

Perhaps you should head the instructions 'If you find a problem, please let us know and we'll deal with it'. or something along those lines, Eddie?smile

Pete

Hello Pete,

It's on page 9 of the instructions:-

We are constantly looking at new or alternative ways to improve our products for our customers. Should you feel that there are areas we could improve, either with the product or the instructions, please feel free to air your views to us. Refinements are always welcome.

Eddie

• 2 months later...

Wind dropped a bit this afternoon , so thought I'd take the Jodel out for a change , its never been out for a while , flies great , bit of a floater when trying to get it down with a headwind , and it does tend to nose over , even with the u/c raked forward , the field where we fly doesnt help though either .

I broke my prop whenit nosed over on the fourth landing , and I didnt have a spare , but I had four good flights .

• 4 years later...

Hi Bill,

If it is a laser cut version of the D B Sport and Scale model, the instructions are downloadable from their Jodel web page, if it is an older version with foam wings, Richard at D b might be able to help, but if not I might have some answers to your questions.

All the best,

Eddie.

Hi Bill,

Apologies, I'm sure I remember Richard telling me about a year or more ago that he had uploaded them all to tthe site. Maybe that one got missed (easy done). I'm sure he will email a copy over to you if you ask him, I have them here if you get stuck, but I don't want to step on Richard's toes "so to speak"!!!

Eddie.