Are you a flyer or a builder?

Phil 9

Advert

I have to be building something or thinking about the next project. I love flying but these days a few flights on a Sunday and , very rarely, a session in the week is enough.

If I couldn't fly and couldn't,t get anyone to fly my models for me I would have to build something else. If I couldn't build but could fly I suppose I would have to fly ARTFs.

I have to say that I am not a particularly good builder because I am always in too much of a hurry to finish the model and start the next. Nor am I a very good pilot. Most people seem to fly my models better than I do.

I like building as much as flying, which is why I tend to get lots of damaged repairables passed on to me, I do however feel totally incompetent now Peter Miller says he's not paticularly good, wish I was have as good and as fast at turning the models out.

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 05/06/2013 11:24:43:

Now we have Peter Miller telling us he is not a particularly good builder?? Am i losing my mind? I have seen magazine covers when i was a boy and he was 20-30 range (a guess) So some credence to his building skills have been aknowleged in the past by other skilled modellers.

Lets put it this way. I CAN build well but if you examine my models you will find an awful lot of rough edges, slightly missaligned parts, ragged edges to the covering. YOU can ask any of my clubmates and they will tell you the same.

In fact if anyone has the old Radio Modeller with Aztec Two Step the editor makes the comment that he hopes other builders will do a better job of the covering round the nacelles.

At least they don't fall to pieces in the air.

Next project will be one of my better efforts.

Spend more time flying than building. Saying that I do enjoy building but when I get started I tend to get very in it and get lots done until something snags the build. Of course do a few minor repairs as well.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 05/06/2013 23:06:21

I actually only learned to fly because I had already started building my Stampe some months prior.

I didn't buy it as my first rc plane, just as a model as I have sepnt most my life building allsorts, mainly billings boats., But once she started to take shape I just had to learn to fly.

Now, I fly so much I struggle to get my head down to do some building, but I suppose I'm still in that honeymoon period as I only passed my A in Feb, and built up quite a collection of artf's, 14 in fact, but they just make it so easy!,

But in my mind I am still a builder, I have 5 projects started now on the board, with plans to start another 3, maybe 4. The target is to have as many 1/4 and 1/3 scale self builds as I do artf's.

Strictly a flyer. I've attempted to build 3 planes over the years. Only my lastest Delta project got off the ground and the wings for that were cut and laminated by somebody else so I only had cut control surfaces, rudder and fin. Not even I could cock that up. The only problem with the delta was when I found the fuel tank had split and the foam gave up!! Strictly an artf assembler. I'll fly any chance I get which is good as I only live about 3 miles from my site and have access to another only a few more minutes away.

Andy

More and more a builder, I generally get to fly these days probably no more than a few days a month, but I do take advantage and get a full days in not just a couple of hours. Building however is a different story and I always have at least one project on the go and chewing over the next one in my mind. I tend to find once a model has flown I am itching to get on with the next its sometimes almost an anticlimax so I guess I fit in the builder catagory more than any other. Linds