Which simulator has the most accurate physics?

Lone_Wolf

Hi,

I’ve had an “A” certificate for about a year now and I plan to take the “B” when I feel confident enough to do so. I also have a Reality Craft Simulator which helped me in the early days of learning to fly so I appreciate the value of simulators as learning tools.

Due to work and family I can usually only fly on the weekend, however this is not always possible with the poor weather we have here in the UK. This means I do not have the chance to get the amount of practice I would like. I thought that if I used a simulator again then that would help me practice for the “B” and I also have a bit of a yearning to learn 3D as well. The Reality Craft Simulator is not up to this job so I want to buy something that is. My initial research suggests two possible candidates that could replace my current sim and be good enough to help me learn at the right level. These are the Phoenix and Real Flight simulators.

I would also like to interface the simulator with my JR XG11 transmitter for added realism. From what I have read this should not be an issue.

Any recommendations?

Advert

You will not beat the accuracy of physics of real life. wink 2

I've used both Real Flight and Phoenix. Both are very good simulators and have pretty good, realistic physics.

Real Flight has the best graphics. However you need a beefy machine (with a good graphics card) to run it. I'd say the physics have a notch over Phoenix.

Phoenix graphics are alright (crap by modern standards actually), but this allows it to run on pretty much anything made in the last 5 years.

Multiplayer is better (imo) on Phoenix as there are more users. Also Phoenix have been offering free updates for the life of the product. So you can buy an old Phoenix lead + CD off BMFA Classified and upgrade to the latest version for free.

Horses for courses really. Personally, I went for Phoenix (as it was cheaper teeth 2).

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 20/06/2013 11:56:27

Oh and btw, if the weather isn't brilliant, chances are that its still flyable a lot of the time (imo).

I generally fly in weather upto 15mph winds. I have different models for different conditions - light big+small aerobatics for calm weather and heavier/larger beater/hack models for rougher weather.

If the wind is constant then aerobatics isn't a problem, however gusty weather makes it much more a challenge.

So get yourself a good hack model (that you won't worry about smashing up and is solidly built to take the abuse) and go fly!

Si.

I'm flying two models at the moment, a Hanger 9 Tango 40 with an OS 55AX and a Travel air with an OS 46 LA.

I agree that there is no substitute for the real thing, but as I said it's not always possible to get some flying in with the various limitations life throws at us. All I'm looking for is the next best thing to flying for real. So thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a further think about it.

In my opinon:

• Reliable
  • Reliable (twice because its important)
  • You find fun to fly
  • Copes with the British weather
  • Easy to repair (e.g. built up balsa or foam - but not a lightly built aerobatic thoroughbred)
  • Cheap to replace (cheap is different to different people)
  • Ready to go in a moments notice (i.e. bolt wing on and go)

Currently I have an old Travel Air as my hack model. Not overly aerobatic compared to a lot of machines, but it refuses to die! As its heavy, it handles the wind pretty good too. Plus its a piece of cake to fly and withstands bad landings/arrivals well.

If I do happen to crash and smash it completely I won't be upset, I'll just buy another low-winger.

Si.

One thing to bear in mind with Phoenix, is that they no longer have the upgrade from 2.5 to 3 available for download from their web site, and apparently they have switched off over-the-net upgrades too (or at least that was the case a few weeks ago, when I needed to reinstall from my 2.5 CD).

Fortunately I managed to find the 2.5->3 upgrade file in my backups. If you buy second-hand, you might want to make sure that you can either get the upgrade files, or stick with V3 or later.

Posted by Antiquated on 20/06/2013 13:06:30:

One thing to bear in mind with Phoenix, is that they no longer have the upgrade from 2.5 to 3 available for download from their web site, and apparently they have switched off over-the-net upgrades too (or at least that was the case a few weeks ago, when I needed to reinstall from my 2.5 CD).

Fortunately I managed to find the 2.5->3 upgrade file in my backups. If you buy second-hand, you might want to make sure that you can either get the upgrade files, or stick with V3 or later.

I think BEB managed to order an upgrade CD for his v2 that took it from v2 to v4. Can't find the thread but I think it was only a couple of quid.

Si.

For phoenix the upgrade cd is £12.95 but if you badger their support they may just give you the link to the file you need , they did for me!

They also have said that they have never said you will get free lifetime upgrades, it is just something that has been the case but may not always be so.

I really like it and the best part is using my own transmitter so that those thumbs get mentally programmed to react

If you get an old one and cant get the upgrade i have them all and could always pop a cd in the post for you if you cover the costs

I have both Phoenix and Realflight, Theres not really that much difference IMHO,Theres lots more planes/heli models and flying sites and fancy trick stuff ie camera view in cockpit, chase ,tail, nose etc on realflight esp at "knife edge" web site, Conversely theres the advantage of getting used to your own Tx with Phoenix,I like to muck about with wind speed and direction,turbulence strength and regularity as well as system failures etc to practice cross wind take offs and landings,and all manner of tricky flying conditions, I find it sharpens my reactions and I get a feel of how to fly in different and difficult conditions without risking my models all the time , It will never beat real stick time but it's certainly better than nowt,Noel

Mine Phoenix picked up a load of updates over the net last night - it is just of you go back to 2.5 it won't do it as that upgrade is no longer provided (unless you beg as I did!)

Once you are past V3 you should be OK for over the net updates according to their site (updates/ models / manuals/ flying sites)

All updates from V3 can also be downloaded directly from their site: **LINK**

A new CD is still £12.95 and can be ordered here:

**LINK**

Thanks for the info guys. Not decided on which sim yet out of Phoenix or Realflight as they appear to be the best contenders. Have been busy finishing off my latest build (SIG Somthin' Extra with OS 55AX) and I will have a look around Wings & Wheels this weekend for sims.

Cheers,

Carl....