Does your Club Mow its own grass or flying field

It is a fact these days due to many attempted thefts that many Clubs are turning towards employing a contractor to cut the grass. If you have any good or bad experiences of a related topic, i want to here what you have to say.

We have had a few break ins and theft of equipment over the years and therefore have taken steps to let someone else do it for us by creating a fund to source the expedature from various club functions etc.....

We have a very dedicated member who keeps our strip better than a bowling green. We have a large powered mower that is locked away in a half sized shipping container. It's well away from civilization and as far as I know we have had no attempt at a theft yet.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 04/07/2013 22:40:36

We Changed to a contractor last year. Its made a massive improvement to the field. It used to be cut with a ride on rotary. The. The contractor uses a big heavy cylinder ride on. The moss is giving up and the field is getting flatter. I'm pretty sure we won't be looking back!

Last year our mower was nicked, so we tried a contractor. He used a rotary/ roller mower. The grass became longer making it harder to fly off. (we had used a cylinder mower) It also got quite expensive, We worked out we could buy a new mower every 2-3 years for the same amount. now we are cutting it ourselves again with a big ATCO cyl mower, and it is excellent at present. But the mower is being kept off site. What a slog. Thanks to the grass cutter!

Thankyou to all that have contributed here, has anyone found insurance other than the BMFA scheme?

Most or all insurance companies will not entertain the insurance of equipment which is in desolate locations, even the facility that houses the equipment is under scrutiny by most insurance companies. So you can forget your old tin shed unless its built like fort knox, if you do get a break in and find your container ripped apart, please contact your local constabulary. They will more than likely tell you to put windows on it to allow the hoodlams to see what is inside. This way they know whether to target it or not.

Try Perkins Slade - they have insured our (fairly remote) buildings and contents for several years - and more importantly paid out to replace stolen equipment and damage to doors etc. caused by a couple of break ins. Their sporting facilities cover even extends to malicious damage to the playing surface - or runway as we'd refer to it!

I'd echo your comments re. Police advice. When we were discussing the matter, the attending officer advised against too much overt security as it would make a potential thief think there would be something worth stealing inside - and they would get in somehow even if through the roof or by cutting through the walls.

My local club has armed guards patroling around it 24/7. If you park next to it for more than 90 seconds you will have one of them requesting you to leave the area. Which you do ! The great thing is that the Government are paying the bill (and it may even be the U.S. Government, but I wouldn't dream of trying to find out). The flying field is kept short, but there can be slight problems with the "lawn mowers" residue. It's ok if you clear the strip before use, oh and wear wellies.

kevinb