Stickers

Hi all,

Newbie here so please be patient... This is sort of a work question, I make vehicle vinyl stickers and Im just wondering about if they would be suitable for application to rc aircraft as well? I use 5year + exterior vinyl which on vehicles gets a good grip...

In reality I should probably just wait till I have my own plane and do some testing, but thats going to be a while off as things a bit too quiet...

Dave

Advert

Hi Dave,

Yeah, vinyl decals/stickers are perfectly fine on model aircraft, I design and make my own as work has the machinery to cut vinyl. I have done a test on printed vinyl which i found glow fuel and petrol do effect the printed image to the point of removing it when rubbed, but solid colour self adhesive vinyl is fine.

If you fly electric fuel residue will not be a problem.

Apply with water and a small amount of washing up liquid, as removing them to reposition can damage the film covering and lift it off the airframe.

Iain

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 05/07/2013 13:52:59:

I assume the vinyl is available in different thicknesses/weights? Obviously for flying models weight is our enemy so the lighter the better.....thumbs up

Yeh exterior vinyl is usually the thickest, there is intermediate which is slightly thinner, but I doubt there is much in the weight difference..

Iain, I can only cut vinyl so no printing problems for me...

Thanks for the info, just so I know I put my own designs on, once I get round to getting a plane...

Cheers

Dave

I had a vinyl cutter and used to make all my own signage for models. Never had any come off with fuel and they looked great.

Nowadays you can buy A4 sized Transfer paper and print what ever you want, just give them a light spray with clear lacquer, cut them out when dry and sit them in water and slip them on and pat dry. The ink you get in inkjets lasts for years longer than your model will.

If you use vinyl on wings etc, just make sure the mono cote or whatever is nice and tight first, but you can reshrink it with stickers on if you don't get too exuberant.