Why won't 35 mhz work ?

I have acquired a little Hobbyking Atom in the hope I could use it in a small private car park when I don't have time to go to the flying field.

It is PNP but when connected up on 35 mhz, the throttle wouldn't work unless it was connected to the rudder channel! question

Extensive and frustrated testing with about six different receivers of varying makes and two different Futaba transmitters on about four diferent frequencies all gave the same problem until we eventually met with success using an eight channel futaba receiver which was , of course , too large to fit in the plane.

At this stage my brother stripped the 2.4 ghz Orange receiver from his current favourite model and with it bound to his new Orange transmitter we had instant success.

When I left his house tonight he was still flying the Atom, in a perfect balmy flying night, in a neighbours field while I made my lonely and planeless way home! crying 2

Anyone any idea what the problem is and suggestions as to how I can get my plane back - suggestions to move to 2.4 ghz will be ignored .angry 2

Advert

You don't say which transmitter you are using, but...

Have you checked that the throws have not been reduced on the throttle channel, and have you tried adjusting the trim? It sounds like for some reason the ESC is not initialising when connected to the throttle channel.

If the ESc doesn't think the throttle is properly shut it might not initialise.

Posted by TinPot Pilot on 11/07/2013 20:48:27:

... It is PNP but when connected up on 35 mhz, the throttle wouldn't work unless it was connected to the rudder channel! question ...

Do you mean you held the rudder stick full over one way when powering up the ESC, and it then responded over the full left-right range of the rudder control? And did it work in a similar fashion on any of the other two channels?

It may be worth plugging a servo into the throttle channel (with an Rx battery to power the receiver) to see if there's any visible difference in its response compared to when it's plugged into the rudder channel.