Graupner vintage gliders

Ah - the Cirrus!

Used to be my pride and joy 40 years ago, slope soaring off the Derbyshire hills - until that fateful day I decided to try the power pod with a Frog 150.

It went up nearly vertical - and then came down the same way hitting the ground so hard that the fuselage had to be dug out of the ground.

I was heartbroken - the Frog 150 and a wing panel survived, but little else. I still have the Graupner plans and often think about building another, but my to-do list is so long already!

Exept for the Cirrus in the first video I found the 3 other gliders on the web for around 30£ each, Still looking for more smiley Not the best gliders compared to new stuff, but still looking great in the air.   Foka Sloping from a 15 feet slope.

Cheers S

Edited By Speedster on 16/07/2013 14:23:46

I had a Graupner Amigo back in 1976ish - with a Cox .049 in the power pod with an extended tank (which I still have somewhere) it had the climb rate and appearance of a fully laden Lancaster but was great fun to do full bore touch and goes with! I also seem to remember it emerging unscathed from heavy flak (well, airgun pellets) over Croxley Moor on one occasion...

Mine met its end as a result of an over-enthusiastic bungee launch - the classic clapping of hands followed by a vertical dive (literally) into the ground...

• 1 year later...

Regarding the crash with the 150con up top. should have used more downthrust on it . I did similar with an Allbon Javeiln bot looped from my hand back to ground at bottom of the loop and tried to go through my mates legs. Luckily he stood firm til I could grab it. Moved mounting forward on wing so camber gave more down thruxt about another 5 or 6 deg .Next launch was a peach .Straight and level and damn fast. Own design loosely based on a Minimoa

• 8 months later...

Cirrus at the inland slope

The Foka 2,2 at the beach

The Foka 2,6 and Cirrus in double towing, And the Foka with a new fuselage that I got for free from Norway

Foka still with the old fuselage in this video ..

Cheers

Soren

Edited By Speedster on 06/11/2015 19:35:25

Hi SpeedsterD.

I note your Cirrus is aileron equipped. Was that a standard feature of the plans or a D.I.Y. mod? I too have a Cirrus which I inherited from a friend who left the country. The wings are currently partly stripped for trailing edge repairs, so an aileron mod might be a good option. Tried sloping it a while back, but just not nimble enough on two channel R/E setup. I've flown it for many years now, both off bungy and off a power winch - very light footed I might add. Great to see the aerial footage of yours, gives a good impression of the amount of 'flap' in those long wings.

Cheers,

GrantW.

Tauranga, New Zealand

Hi Grant

When I got mine in 1974 there was a extra plan in the box.

It was a plan over the wingtip with aileron, so mine was born with ailerons.

I would say both the Foka 2,6 and Cirrus are much better to fly and control with ailerons, specially on the slope.

On the old Foka 2,6 that I got second hand, I put on the ailerons.

The big problem is to drill a hole in all the wing ribs, all the way to the servos.

For that I made a long drill made of a stainless steel tube where I made some cuts in the end like a saw, and with

that I have drilled many wings, also another Cirrus and Cumulus and some foam wings that was born without ailerons. smiley

Good luck

Soren

Edited By Speedster on 08/11/2015 17:28:24

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...