Self Teaching Noob! Hi guys!

Hi guys,

I have wanted to fly Rc for 17 years since I was 15. I was emptying out our spare room the other day and came accross my old Hi boy trainer and ripmax trainer.

the hiboy I built when I was 15 so was pretty bad and the window were warped so I went with the Rimpax.

I have since bought a Seagull Spacewalker and a Seagull PC9 for later in my career.

I am self teaching so will add my experience to date on the self teaching thread.

Advert

Welcome to the forum Carl.....always good to welcome a new member....thumbs up

May I ask why you are self teaching? A club would be a fountain of knowledge for you as well as teaching you to fly but I realise that a club isn't for everyone.

You should consider 3rd party insurance though in case the worst happens....joining a club will usually make you a member of our National body the BMFA. Membership of the BMFA includes insurance. You can join the BMFA independantly as a "country" member however which will provide the insurance cover....for around £30 for a years cover can you afford NOT to???

Hi,

My main reason for learing alone is thee casual way in which I can enjoy the hobby. I don;t have to go through training and sign into the club and sign out and I don;t have to wait to fly or any of that messing about.

I have been advised by other people on RC universe to go to a club so I am going to one this week just to say hi and find out if I would be looking at waiting to fly and also what sort of formalities are involved.

I still prefer the idea of turning up at a field and flying.

You could always learn how to fly at a club site & then go & fly on your own in a field. I'm a member of a club & usually fly there but just occasionally (summer evenings usually) I nip up to a field just up the road to get my "fix"...teeth 2

Maybe visit a few clubs in your area & get a feel for the "culture" in each one....you may find that one club suits you & your personality better than another....what have you got to lose??wink 2

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/07/2013 12:39:43

Posted by Carl Richardson on 24/07/2013 12:19:48:

Must admit a hugh part of the enjoyment I get is flying with like minded persons, plus if you've never flown before then you should re-write the above to read "I still prefer the idea of turning up at the flying field and crashing"

If you are looking to go solo then I'd recommended you go with something like the Multiplex Easy Star or Hobbyking Bixler where the prop is high up behind the wing, much more tolerant if it's an arrival rather than a the required smooh landing.

Carl - you would be much better going to a club and getting some instruction. This flying business is not as easy as it looks and going it alone will proove to be both frustrating and expensive! Some people have done it - but its definitely not the recommended route. Have a careful think, maybe its not a coincidence that you have recieved basically the same advise fron two forums?

BEB

Ignore them! I have been flying for over 30 years on my own - joined and left two clubs. Because like you I just want to fly. And to be honest, as long as you can fly (and you can, I've seen the video) and you don't mind the odd crash and quick repair job, you will get far more flying time on your own. When I taught myself (about 14 years old) I flew every day before and after school....good luck, Rich

Edited By Dickster on 25/07/2013 09:07:59

Welcome Carl.

Unlike the others, it would seem, I've had some unpleasant club experiences, probably also due to my somewhat casual approach! (some of us are just not suited to the club scene).If you have a feild (like me) where you're not going to harm anything more than a couple of trees, then I say go for it! It may be a harder way to learn, but there is alot to be said for doing things your way. Best of luck.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 24/07/2013 21:01:24:
Posted by Carl Richardson on 24/07/2013 12:19:48:

Must admit a hugh part of the enjoyment I get is flying with like minded persons, plus if you've never flown before then you should re-write the above to read "I still prefer the idea of turning up at the flying field and crashing"

If you are looking to go solo then I'd recommended you go with something like the Multiplex Easy Star or Hobbyking Bixler where the prop is high up behind the wing, much more tolerant if it's an arrival rather than a the required smooh landing.

To be fair I prefer flying with my mates that I have known for a long time. All my friends are like minded people. thats why they are my friends.

Again you are a pesemist as you think I will crask every time I go to teh field. As it happens I had never flown before in my life up until last week. I only crashed on my very first take off de to a reversed aileron. Since then I have had wwhat I would call some unpleasant landings but none of them caused damage save for a broken propellor on one landing.

So why do you get this idea in your head that we will crash every time? I can tell you why and that is because I will bet you a weeks wages that you are probably over 45 and are not part of the 'computer game generation'.

As a child I spend hundreds, if not thousands, of hours on rainy days playing computer games that take fast reactions, good directional control (away and towards), smooth controls, calm manner and controlling multiple operations at one time. All this is somethign the older generation never had time to perfect which is the only reason I can see for why your generation failed at self teaching.

I think that this will change a lot as computer games become more realistic. More people can learn without the expense of repairs. thats what I did. I only used a simulator on my Ipad but it worked.

COmputers are used in the real world to train people in the control of planes, trains, ships, space craft and probably lots of other vehicles. Its a fact that simulators help as does having been part of the computer game generation.

Don't assume that everyone can;t just pick up a tx and fly a plane because you are wrong. I did and have video to prove it.

I'll be out again tonight or tomorrow and will post a videeo of my fourth flight which will show you what I have achieeved on my own but with the help of sims, youtube and forum members.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/07/2013 21:45:57:

Carl - you would be much better going to a club and getting some instruction. This flying business is not as easy as it looks and going it alone will proove to be both frustrating and expensive! Some people have done it - but its definitely not the recommended route. Have a careful think, maybe its not a coincidence that you have recieved basically the same advise fron two forums?

BEB

I disagree. It is as easy as it looks of you prepare and take small steps.

I have received the same advicee from two forumss because everyone giving htat advice is a club member. Its not really a coincindence is it?

AS for expense I have had to buy some wood for £1.65 and a propellor for £2.80. Its not going to break my bank just yet.

Carl, if you call what you were doing on that video "flying" you are very wrong! What I saw was an accident looking for somewhere to happen!

If I had penny for everyone who thought this was easy and their "special fast reactions honed on computer games" were going to save them, I'd be a rich man! 99% of such folks come along, make a lot of noise about their loops and rolls (mainly uncontrolled excurtions from semi controlled flight) then "crash and burn" and after a few weeks are never hear of again! I can point you at the threads - loads of them!

My advice - and you've had it elsewhere - shallow your pride, admit this is a considerable skill and get yourself to a club, learn how to fly safely and under control.

BEB

Posted by Dickster on 25/07/2013 09:07:14:

Ignore them! I have been flying for over 30 years on my own - joined and left two clubs. Because like you I just want to fly. And to be honest, as long as you can fly (and you can, I've seen the video) and you don't mind the odd crash and quick repair job, you will get far more flying time on your own. When I taught myself (about 14 years old) I flew every day before and after school....good luck, Rich

Edited By Dickster on 25/07/2013 09:07:59

This is most likely the route I wil be taking. I just don't have time for all hte messing about and waiting at a club. That and I don;t have the patience to make small talk with the club idiots and there are always club idiots no matter where you go. Just like there is always the one guy who thinks he is king pin and knows everything. All that puts me off.

Someone will come back and disagree but off the forum I'm sure most would agree.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/07/2013 09:36:27:

Carl, if you call what you were doing on that video "flying" you are very wrong! What I saw was an accident looking for somewhere to happen!

If I had penny for everyone who thought this was easy and their "special fast reactions honed on computer games" were going to save them, I'd be a rich man! 99% of such folks come along, make a lot of noise about their loops and rolls (mainly uncontrolled excurtions from semi controlled flight) then "crash and burn" and after a few weeks are never hear of again! I can point you at the threads - loads of them!

My advice - and you've had it elsewhere - shallow your pride, admit this is a considerable skill and get yourself to a club, learn how to fly safely and under control.

BEB

It has nothing to do with pride. I have no objections to ask for help because thats why I'm on the forums. I'm not bothered abouth the club scene as there will always be someone (possible like you) who persistently pushes their views onto you thinking htey know it all.

There are hundreds of success stories on people who have self taught " yes its a challenge but one thing I love is a challenge.

I admit the video was only my first flight so the control was nothign great but considering most of you doubters don;t even think we can get the planes offf the ground I think its safe to say that the plane is passing through the air under thrust and using the wings to create lift. In my book that is flying and I'm no aeronautical engineer.

I never said computer games would save me. I said htey helped me considerably.

Like I said I bet yuo a weeks wages you are over 45. Am I right?

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/07/2013 09:42:12:

No Carl - most would not agree. The vast majority of R/C flies in the UK are members of clubs! And not everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot!

BEB

For a moderator you don;t really moderate very well do you?

I stated that there were idiots at every club. Not all club members are idiots. I would be an idiot to suggest that but I attend other clubs and as most on here will agree every club has its idiots in some form or another. It may be 4 out of the 150 members but my point is that at some point you will find yourself humouring them. Thats what I can't be bothered with.

Don't take it so personally and get all tetchy Mr Moderator.

Well Carl as I said earlier clubs aren't for everyone & there are many lone flyers who enjoy the hobby on their own & thats fine but to dismiss out of hand all clubs as full of idiots & "know it alls" is just plain wrong. It takes all sorts to make a world & like life there will be people you get along with (lets call them friends) & people who you would rather not pass the time of day with. At my own club I associate with certain members & avoid others. I'm sure other members feel the same about me.....but we all get along just fine.

For you to ignore good advice & say clubs are rubbish cos they are full of idiots & know it alls so I'm doing it my way is kind of ironic don't you think.....wink 2

As I said earlier why not try it? You might find one you like & you've nothing to lose by visiting a few clubs....

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/07/2013 09:52:40:

Oh and by the way I will do a bit of moderating - read this.

BEB

I read this before I sign up but thankks for the link. Pretty standard forum stuff really. I'm unsure of why you send me a link as I don;t think I have been inflamatory by using the word "idiot".It wasn't directed an anyone specific.

You see - I was right about your age and your lack of computer game experience.

Link removed.......SH

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/07/2013 11:44:07

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/07/2013 10:01:19:

Well Carl as I said earlier clubs aren't for everyone & there are many lone flyers who enjoy the hobby on their own & thats fine but to dismiss out of hand all clubs as full of idiots & "know it alls" is just plain wrong. It takes all sorts to make a world & like life there will be people you get along with (lets call them friends) & people who you would rather not pass the time of day with. At my own club I associate with certain members & avoid others. I'm sure other members feel the same about me.....but we all get along just fine.

For you to ignore good advice & say clubs are rubbish cos they are full of idiots & know it alls so I'm doing it my way is kind of ironic don't you think.....wink 2

As I said earlier why not try it? You might find one you like & you've nothing to lose by visiting a few clubs....

As I mentioned I didnl;t mean all club menbers are idiots. Thats a stupid thing to say and I apologise if thats what came accross. I meant they have a few like you say and like you most people probably avoid them. Bottom line is that I don;t want to join a club but want theoretical advice from time to time.

As for the actual flying I'm happy to do that myself and take the bumps and smashes as part of the hobby.

Posted by Carl Richardson on 25/07/2013 10:12:28:

You see - I was right about your age and your lack of computer game experience.

For your information, and only to hopefully show you that making snap judgements about people's background is very unsafe, I was part of the generation that invented computer games. By the time I was 25 I could program in: machine code, assembler, Fortran, Basic, Cobol, Algol, Pascal and Ada. Since then I've gone on to: C, C++, Visual C, IDL, Matlab, Visual Basic and Java. Add to that the fact that I've probably flown more models than you've ever seen and I am an RC flying instructor and I think I'm reasonably acquainted with the benefits and limitations of simulation and computer games with respect to flying model planes. But don't worry about that - you just carry on. I'll follow with interest.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/07/2013 10:30:52

Hi Carl

I'm not going to mention clubs (oops).

Just a thought though. You are happy to take the bumps and smashes... Yes you will have those, that's guaranteed. So you are wise to fly a long way from anything at all. (Not like the first video).

Question then: You do have insurance don't you?
Should one of those smashes damage something on the ground or hurt someone, then YOU are likely to be found liable, and the damages awarded by a court could be very considerable indeed.

Hi Carl,
Like you I had a large gap (30 years!) in my RC Career, only getting back into the hobby 2 years ago, and again like you I began by going “solo”, finding local fields and the local moorland to fly on (particularly lovely at 6:00am in the morning!)
Now I have to admit I loved it, I loved the freedom of just turning up whenever I wanted and “chucking” my glider in the air, off I went with complete freedom, nobody looking over my shoulder telling me what I’m doing wrong, or insisting that “I’m doing it wrong and this is the right way to do it”, yes making lots of mistakes and crashing but to me that’s all part of the fun of this hobby.
It was only after 3 months or so I started to think “Great, but what if I hit a walker of a cyclist”, hence I joined the BMFA as Country Member to get myself insured, another 6 months after that of perfectly happy flying by myself and I was desperate to get onto something a little more challenging than my AXN Clouds fly EPO glider!
It was more out of necessity than want that I was forced to join a club, I needed a runway and somewhere I could fly my lovely new Calmato 40 sports in relative safety without fear of dogs, dog walkers, horses or cyclists, and having had several dead sticks I can now appreciate that you’re not always in control of your own fate!
Well it was only after a few digs on google I found I was lucky enough to be spoilt by having 4-5 good clubs in my area (Lancashire) and most of them do a “try before you buy” day, they were happy for you to come down just for the day, look at the flying area, meet a few of the other members, and see what it’s all about, some of them even have a “club model” you can fly with and truly “try before you buy”!
I quickly found out clubs vary massively, both in location and quality, now to be fair I don’t think any of the clubs I looked into we’re in any way near bad, they we’re all very friendly and welcoming, there was no “tutting” that I had started to learn on my own either, but like yourself I like the freedom to “be a grownup” and the one thing I did discover is that some clubs have rules, lots of rules, so many rules.... which really put me off, however some people may like that, but that’s not for me, but some clubs are much more relaxed too, more self regulating which for them works a treat.
I think what I’m saying is there is nothing wrong in my opinion with learning on your own, many of us did, and continue to do so with great results, but eventually when possibly you want to go to bigger and better models a club “may” be the way to go, don’t go just jumping at the first club, go and see what there like and spend the day, you can quickly make up your mind if it’ll suit you.