14SG or 12FG?

Phil Cooke

As my models get bigger and more complex, I find myself once again in the market for a new 2.4GHz Futaba Tx.

Having read all the reviews this past 12 months or so I was just about to part with my money for the ‘new’ Futaba 14SG which does everything Ill ever need with all the latest technology.

However, at the 11th hour, Ive just been offered a second hand Futaba 12FG, for a similar price to what I was about to pay (circa £400) - Ive said Im interested but I wanted to make my mind up based on specs – so a little research was needed as I knew little about the 12FG.

USEFUL LINK

The Futaba link proves handy here in comparing the two Tx’s on spec - So as far as I can tell, the 12FG does just about everything the 14SG does but for the lack of 2 channels and it is not able to support telemetry with the FASSTest technology. I’m not sure either of these things concern me, but my question is this – looking at the specs, why does the 12FG as new (when it was available in the shops) cost twice that of the 14FG, when at the end of the day the 14FG has the superior spec?? What am I missing?? The 12FG was a £950 investment! What drove the price over the 14FG? Or are we just seeing a price fall for the same technology between the 2 launch dates on these units??

Can anyone shed any light on this to help me decide which to buy – the new 14SG, straight from the model shop - or the nearly new 12FG at the same price? Do I get more for my money buying ‘nearly new’ or should I give the 12FG a miss for the very latest from Futuba??

Any advice gratefully received, particularly from all those familiar with both Futaba set ups.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 30/07/2013 18:36:19

Advert