new transmitter suggestions?

bren

Advert

I want to like the taranis and the hardware is great but, put bluntly, the software is atrocious.

The user interface is designed by software engineers... for themselves...

Big question, what is your budget?

Computer radios 6channels budget £110 with receiver

8ch/9ch budget £220

>9channel budget £440

Shows have the occasional good priced radios. Have seen the dx6i for around the £69 mark with no receivers.

Si.

Honestly?

They're all good! Seriously!

On the 8ch range for around the £200 mark, the main contenders are Hitec Aurora 9, Spektrum Dx8 (Dx9 just released so may be some good offers around), Futaba T8J and JR XG8.

Dont bother with a Futaba FASST radio unless it has inbuilt SFHSS (expensive 14SG and 18MZ so far). FASST won't be discontinued but their receivers are rediciously priced and offer no real benefit over SFHSS. Futaba marketing suggests that FASST is premium however that's most likely so existing FASST users aren't upset! They know that SFHSS is plenty good enough. Infact SFHSS uses the same RF components as Hitec/Frsky/Graupner. Not directly compatible (unless you use one of my Frsky Delta receivers), but shows that other manufacturers have faith in the RF chips and they almost never have reliability issues. 

JR receivers are rediciously priced. Spektrum are good. Hitec are good an have in built telemetry (so you know when your electric aircraft is time to land), which makes them very reasonable against the others. Futaba are ok.

Feature wise, a bit of a muchness. The Futaba has no telemetry though and isn't user upgradable like the others.

Reliabilty, a lot of complaints about Spektrum but they are by far the biggest. I guess like a Ford?

Ease of use, out of all the above I've tried, aurora is the easiest. Many agree.

All have compatible receivers available for better prices than OEM. I can't say more than that as some would say that'd make me biased!

If my choice now, I'd either wait for the dx9 or get a second hand dx8 or aurora 9. Aurora 9 can be had for a good price new and cheap (with a couple of receivers) already and once the dx9 is on the shores, I bet the dx8 will be a good price too.

Finally I have to mention the Frsky Taranis. Odd ball of the pack. Great spec on paper and great hardware. Far exceeda the others. However you need to put serious time on reading up online on how to use an program it. Once you do, your $200 radio will match the $2000 radios. Cons? Brand new and seriously popular. Waiting list getting longer by the day. Frsky can't ship enough to match the demand! So they must be doing something right!

Si. 

Edited By Simon Chambers on 02/08/2013 23:59:06

Almost thought of as trivial, if you are an electric flier, other than electric gliders, a built in timer with alarm, can be considered as essential.

Although telemetry will probably become the norm, is a Lipo voltage alarm via telemetry.

As a discharged Lipo can be more than a little annoying, at a minimum, it can shorten the battery life, at worst a safety issue.

My Futaba 6ex, fails on this count, needing a separate timer. On the other hand my 8fg has the timer and holds out the promise of telemetry. Yet many other sets have these features available now, at lower cost.