Auto G V2

Delta Whiskey

Advert

Yep, I've got one, and a G1 as reported in another post

G2 Pros

- Easier to do ROG take offs, takes off in less than a 1/3rd the distance of the G1 in a light wind

- looks cool taxying out, then spinning up the blades and taking off

G2 Negatives

- Seems to need a bit more power in flight so flight times are slightly reduced (but part of that could be because the pre-rotor has consumed some battery capacity before take off)

But overall the easier take offs win the day.

Yep, just got one to fly with my Mk.1 version DW but the G2 hasn't been assembled yet.

Glad to hear Frank's view though, looks like it's a handy upgrade.

Ironically, every time I fly, I seem to choose a day with slight winds so normally resort to a hand launch just to be on the safe side. Still flying it though, it's a great little model, great fun.

The only time I've damaged it is when the wind caught it, knocked it over resulting in dented blades, their fixed nature means I can't move them pack parallel with the fuselage when I'm transporting the model down to our flying patch.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 06/08/2013 11:57:19

Thanks all for your feedback, I know people were saying go and make your own blades, which is not for me really, but not having spares as with any model of this kind (heli & autogyro's) really puts me off getting another despite the V2 improvements.

The few flights I did have with the V1 was indeed good fun despite me flying in more than a gentle breeze!

I recall leaving one bolt in each blade David so you could fold them backwards and popping in a bit of a cocktail stick at the field, thus protecting the head in a blade strike a bit more!

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 07/08/2013 08:09:44

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 07/08/2013 08:10:07

The weak point with the AutoG2 seems to be the plastic spider that the blades are bolted to. Just a gust of wind blowing the model over was enough to break it.

I replaced the spider with a 0.8mm GF triangle, using the plastic spider as a drill jig. I also retained the rotor blades with just one bolt so that the blade can fold back in the event of a ground strike.

See pictures below:

autog2-1.jpg

autog2-2.jpg

Edited By Sparks on 07/08/2013 08:58:26

Being interested in the 'E' part of RCME. Ive done some testing on the Auto-G2 pre-rotator system.

First discovery is that it is a proportional controller, not an ON/OFF switch.

The drive to the brushed pre-rotator motor is PWM'd at 15kHz.

The motor drive kicks in at a servo input signal of 1.15ms, producing 8.5% PWM demand to the motor
Control is then proportional up to maximum servo input signal of 2.0ms, which produces a 90% PWM demand.

Motor current at max demand is about 4.5A.

So....if you wanted, you could get variable rotor speed control or reduce max rotor speed by setting the servo demand to a value less than 100%

Edited By Sparks on 08/08/2013 11:19:45

Edited By Sparks on 08/08/2013 11:35:38