E-Flite C-Ray 180 PNP

Popped into my LMS the other day - something I rarely do, I'll admit; I find the internet just too convenient.

I only popped in to get some cyano but ended up buying an E-Flite C-Ray 180 PNP as well !

First impressions ? Is that ll you get !? One largish box containing a complete flying wing, a bag of self-adhesive velcro, small instruction booklet, a very large sheet of stickers - I reckon if they cut the sheet in two, they could halve the size of the box

Took 10 minutes to:

a) Add the micro Rx (had to use the one from my Inverza that's grounded following a collision with the planet

b) loosen the elevon hinges

c) Stick the velcro on the three batteries I have for it.

Took an hour to decide which of the myriad of stickers I'd use, and to bung them on. I guess I've used about 15% of those available. Still, lots of spares for the 'sticker box'.

As you do, had to make sure the motor ran up to speed OK, holding it in the garage. Disappointed that it didn't 'howl' like my Slinger, micro-jet or other pusher wing/deltas. Tad disappointed and thought it may be a little sedate.

Managed to maiden it yesterday morning. Disappointed ? Sedate ? Not a bit ! Great fun, flew straight and level despite my rather inaccurate measuring on the balance point .......... loops nicely, rolls are a little slow at the mo', needs a large dose of down for inverted (as expected), glides surprisingly well. Doesn't howl but the tiny motor on 2s suits it just fine and gives it a good enough turn of speed - it is rather small

Great fun. Recommended.

GG

Advert

IMHO, everybody should have a small wing in their collection for sheer fun and keeping the reactions and orientation skills up.

A bit of friendly combat really does improve the coordination skills and all these foamies bounce well and are so unlikely to cause any damage to anything.

Skippy

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update having put about 30 flights on the C-Ray.

Good stuff - still flies beautifully. Now has some down mixed in with thrand some differential. Plus bigger throws than it came with.

Bad stuff - managed to snap one of the control horns whilst moving the control rod to get more throw. They are quite brittle ! Hacked/surgically removed them both, and cyano'd in some from the spares box in the garage.

That's it. Highly recommended but not one for the park as the high pitched whine from the motor at full chat carries quite a way.

David - no probs with re-naming

GG

I've got the UMX F-27Q Stryker - which is also fun. Did like the C-ray, but I've got quite a few UMX Models, but bought the much faster UMX Habu!

With the Stryker, it has rudders, so makes good inverted flat spins.cool

I've noticed it doesn't have the AS3X system on this one, which is not a bad thing. Probably the system isn't quite compatable with delta wing platforms.

Also it uses 450mah battery, I've just ordered some for £7.99 each, Turnigy ones with 65c discharge. The Habu has space and will benefit from extra duration.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 22/08/2013 09:30:51