futaba 8FG Tx repair

Phil 9

I snapped a second aerial of my 8FG. angry The aerial is still functional as it is the plastic clip that holds it onto the tx case that was broken. I remounted it inside the case. Is there any reason why this would not work?

sdc14535.jpg

Edited By Phil 9 on 08/08/2013 17:50:06

Advert

If I had the external aerial sideways (which I often did) it is only about an inch from the internal position. The only difference being it has to transmit through the plastic case. On ground range tests are good but am I breaking any rules doing this?

Edited By Phil 9 on 08/08/2013 18:14:10

In principle mounting the aerial inside and horizontally is fine, but in your particular case its very close to the PCB tracks and wiring harness - all of which will absorb some signal. My own 6EXA has the aerial in the handle where its at least a quarter-wave away from anything. I fly gliders with it at huge distances, with no RSSI pips.

6exa_4.jpg

6exa_2.jpg

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 08/08/2013 22:30:42

many thanks Phil

I could just buy a new antenna but i feel this will not last long as the 2mm thick unsupported plastic clip that holds the antenna on is a poor design.

Or I could try to modify the mount to make it a little stronger but I dont know a good way of doing this other than glueing it on with epoxy and this might get messy

Posted by Simon Chambers on 09/08/2013 11:12:06:
Posted by Jon Laughton on 09/08/2013 09:20:18:

Phil - I think I would take advice as to how this could affect your insurance? Just in case!

Jon

And why would it? It's no different to taping the antenna onto the handle!

If the Tx is modified in a non-approved way from the Manufacturer's specification could that be an issue as it may be with car insurance ? I personally don't know teh answer which is why if it was me I would make a call to the insurers or the BMFA. Perhaps you already know the answer Simon?

Jon

Posted by Jon Laughton on 09/08/2013 11:39:52:

If the Tx is modified in a non-approved way from the Manufacturer's specification could that be an issue as it may be with car insurance ? I personally don't know teh answer which is why if it was me I would make a call to the insurers or the BMFA. Perhaps you already know the answer Simon?

Jon

People do modify Tx's all the time adding or changing switches and sticks, changing batteries to lipos (that are a different voltage and spec to the original), the add lights clip on timers, add on other manufacturers non approved modules , unlock extra channels, use cheap chinese copy receivers non of which would be approved by the original manufacturer

Yet again, the vexed issue of insurance has detracted from the original purpose of the thread. If anyone wants to discuss it further, and let's be honest, it has been beaten to death on this forum on numerous occasions, please start a new thread and leave this one to the radio issues......ta! smile

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

well flying my model has showed no problems so far. I did tidy the cables out of the way to leave the antenna clear.

I have tryed to order a replacment antenna to restore the Tx to the normal configuration but this has proved difficult as they seem to be on back order everywhere.

If it range tests OK and works then I would say to stick with it. Remember that not all things are done for technical reasons.

For many years mobile phones in the USA had little pull up antenna's because market research said that people expected phones to be like that. On some later phones the pull up antenna was totally fake!

• 3 weeks later...

Also broke mine recently. Yesterday I changed the fitting to an RP-SMA.

You can now rotate the aerial 360 degrees, which helps avoid further breaks. If it does break you can simply unscrew the aerial and replace with a £3 new one.

See piccies below.

Edited By perry atkins on 07/09/2013 15:37:02

Edited By perry atkins on 07/09/2013 15:44:53