Jet Maiden

simon burch

Weather is looking good for Wednesday, and I'm getting both excited and a bit nervous about my maiden jet flight. Everything ready, including the fire extinguisher.

I think the landing and throttle lag is what I'm most concerned about, but hopefully my spotter will have some good advice.

Cheers,

Simon

There is a set amount of down thrust on the turbine, so most of the jet gas is not aimed directly at the horizontal stab. Plus all that air pushing past has a cooling effect. Wet starts are the danger as the flames can damage the airframe. That's what the fire extinguisher is for!!

Simon

Good luck with the maiden, i dont think you have anything to worry abut , i had my first flight last year with my Sprint /Jetcat 100rx loved every minute of it just go fly normaly and enjoy, the turbine lag is not to bad at all and if you keep the throttle a quarter open when ever you throttle down the turbine is still spinning fast and the lag is hardly noticed

Enjoy

After a bit of hassle getting her started the flights were uneventful. She was in the air in less than 20 feet after hitting a bump, so just left the throttle wide open and climbed away. Had a few goes a bringing her down the middle of the strip and all seemed good so dropped the flaps, which were like throwing an anchor out and brought her in. With the flaps down you need a fair amount of power to keep the airspeed so I don't think I actually shut the throttle until I was 100% sure she was going to land. The lag didn't seem to bad to me, but I never got in the position where I needle instant power, just tried to keep stuff smooth. The highlight had to be coming low at half power, sitting her on the tail just as you power up and then watch the power kick in and send her vertical....the howl is addictive.

The model was really predictable on the approach, even with my hands shaking (my mate kept telling me to breath). The second landing was much easier as I'd calmed down a bit and put her down on my first go.

Been flying 32 years, flown some amazing models, but nothing compares to what I did today.

Cheers,

Simon

Wel it worked out better than you thought, And of coarse nerves can play a big part as it can actually make you fly better than how you thought you would on your first jet flight. LOL ive got the knee knocking to come. At least its over and done with and im sure you'll reflect every moment about today's flights and gain more experiance as time goes by. Wish i was there to hear the howl on the virtical climb's, Well done im sure it will be the best nights kip you'll have for a long time.

Keep em spooling

Thought about taking the video, but I was warned off it. I'm glad I didn't as I was nervous about making a silly mistake, and the idea of someone videoing would have added to that. Not sure when the next opportunity to fly will arise, but will definitely have the video out for that.

It's going to be a few days till the smile will drop off my face. Never thought I'd get to fly a jet. I think I've had it about 3 or 4 weeks whilst I've got all the little bits together ready to fly. Lost count of the number of videos I've watched or threads I've read. After all the build up it was an amazing experience.

Cheers,

Simon

well done simon, can you now appreciate why the boomer is such a great jet trainer, so stupidly easy to fly ..... and nice to fly eh! mybe now you can understand why i say models like the TN retrojet are really not required, i think people think the boomer is harder to fly than it is! well done anyway. whats the turbine, and what starting probs did you have?

It's a Wren 54 mk3 gas start. I think the problems were caused by no one else having any experience of Wren turbines (they fly Merlins and Jet Cats I think). The chap I bought it off went through the starting procedure, but I didn't pay enough attention to the amount of gas. There is a solenoid, but there is no restriction, so that is set by how much you open the valve on the propane bottle. I'd started it twice before with no booms or tail plane on, and managed to make a fairly good fireball (melted all the covering of the lower rear face of the fuz), so with it all bolted together I think we were just being a bit too cautious with the gas. Added to this, I think the Wren's ramp up in the start sequence a bit different to the turbines the other guys fly with.

The chap from Wren was really patient on the phone, waiting whilst I keep running back to the car for tools etc. Once we had an idea of the amount of gas it needed, she fired up both times with no problems and no flames. Absolutely faultless in flight.

I originally bought a new Supersport Jubilee, with the intention of building a jet over the winter, but when this model popped up at the right price, one of the heli's got sold on and I bought it. I had planned to sell the motor on and replace it with my kero start Jubilee, but now I'm thinking about keeping the boomer as it is and thinking about what I can build to put the other turbine in. Very impressed with the service I got today from Wren.

The Boomer does fly really well. Got a couple of loops and 4 point rolls on my second flight and it was super smooth. I really can't wait to fly again with a few less nerves. Loops were also fantastic, especially when you put the power back on. On my first flight I asked for my spotter to call out when I'd had 3 mins so I could have a few practice landing approaches. That must have been the fastest 3 minutes ever. On the second flight I had my full 5 minutes blasting around, and then put her down on the first attempt, but it still went too quickly.

Could have flown again, but I was so chuffed I thought it was better to leave it there and come back another day.

Cheers,

Simon

Quite like the Tony N Vampire but I know he has the Vulcan in the works, and I think that would make an amazing model to own. I really want to build my next jet, and then maybe have a go at designing my own. I have a Zirolli Turbinator plan, which I quite like even though everyone today who I mentioned it to said it was ugly. We shall see !!

Simon

It does look good, but not sure if my Supersport would have enough grunt at 8kg thrust? There was a newly built one up for sale on the BMFA. Nice looking machine, but what ever I get next it has to suit the turbine I already have. No more funds for anymore turbines in the foreseeable future!!