Where to find IC engines (old & new) suitable for vintage free-flight?

IanH

Not having much (any) experience of IC engines in general, let alone specifically for vintage free-flight models, I was hoping for some advice on where to look for possible new alternatives to the old engines listed on the original plans of these old models.

To give a couple of examples, I was looking at Vic Smeed's Poppet and Tomboy plans on Outerzone, which specify "ED .46 Baby" and "Mill .75" engines respectively.

Do they still make engines of similar capacities to this, and if so, where are they because my internet searches aren't revealing much useful information?

And if not, is it simply a case of trawling ebay for old engines, and if so, what sort of search terms are best to use, because again, without searching for a specific engine model, I'm not having much luck?

Thanks muchly

P.S. not sure if this should have been in IC engines or Vintage section sorry, so shoved it here for now.

Edited By IanH on 14/08/2013 12:43:48

Advert

Hi Ian

Just a few pointers about old (and new) engines for flying free flight models.

1. The engines refferred to on the plans are both diesel engines. They run on a mixture of ether, paraffin and oil unlike glow engines which run on methanol and oil. While a small glow engine will power either of the models, most modellers prefer diesels as they may be adjusted to run over a wider speed range. Try not to use an electric starter on a diesel or you'll risk bending a conrod. A small diesel should start by hand once the running settings have been established.
  2. Early British and European engines were described in fractions of a cc so an ED Baby was just under one half of a cubic centimetre and the Mills was about three-quarters of a cubic centimetre swept volume. Most modern glow engines are described in fractions of a cubic inch, so for example a Super Tigre 75 is much a larger engine of about 12.5cc.
  3. For new engines to power small free flight models try Progress Aero Works (PAW) at www.eifflander.com. PAW make a variety of diesel engines from 0.5cc upwards. Alternatively a man called Alex Phin has designed an engine call a "Red Fin Millish 049" which is similar to the Mills 75 but this time its cubic capacity is expressed in fractions of a cubic inch! It costs £70 and has been reviewed in "SAM 35 Speaks" the magazine of the British section of the "Society of Antique Modellers!" Contact Alex on [email protected] if interested. Finally a company called MP produce the MP Jet Classic which would power either of the models successfully.
  4. The small ads in SAM 35 Speaks are a good source of used engines. If you don't know anyone in SAM please PM me.

Sorry if you already know most of this but in your OP you said that you didn't know much about I/C engines.

Happy Landings

David