Dynam Smart Trainer... Anyone Got One

Bob Archbold

Morning all!

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has invested their hard earned money in the new Dynam Smart Trainer yet.

It looks like a really good second model with excellent slow speed flying characteristics as well as capable aerobatic capabilities....

Clearly the model is very new to the market as there is so little on you tube, although CML's promotional video looks good. On other forums plenty people have either bought or ordered models but nobody in the world seems to have flown one yet.

Can anyone recommend this aircraft or have any strong views?

Hello Bob. I have just got one simply because I fanncied the look of it, and its nice to have a model to give newbies a go on. But, it arrived damaged in that the u/c spats had jiggled about and marked the left wing and the fuse, and, whoever packed it had doubled back the rudder ripping it away from the fin sad

That said, it looks a nicely made kit so I'm looking forward to getting it sorted.

Thought I might install a towing point for aerotow as well.... (We do quite a bit of leccy aerotowing) cool

Edited By simon barr on 25/08/2013 08:04:26

Hi Simon!

I had a look on the rcgroups forum and there were a few comments on packaging so your reply was possibly no surprise. When you get sorted let me know how it flies,

The CML promo video looks really good! Whilst I have another 3 models in the cupboard I'm really looking for a second step model and the Smart looks just the job...

There is an "Un-boxing" video on Dynam's site, but it doesn't tell you very much. I'm sure it would be a perfect model for you, but I will let you know. May be a little while till it is ready as SMC (who I bought it from) has contacted CML for there comments before I start the repairs.

Its a great shame that so many foam models get delivered with faults. I bought an Inverza a couple of weeks ago and it was quite mashed.... I bought an Fms Sbach and its a bit sqished here and there as well... but hey ho! Its looking like a Dynam Smart for the 2nd phase of my return to the skies....

Netty bought one a few days ago from KIngs Lynn Model Supplies, with the aim of working up to her B cert with it.

There's precious little info on the net, it seems, so it's something of an unknown quantity at the moment.

The 'official' video looks great, it has to be said.

Mind you, that tailplane looks awfully small to my old-fashioned eyes......

tim

Hi Tim

I agree with what you say about the tail... for its apparent aerobatic capability it is tiny, same with the other control surfaces as well but the model looks superb in the CML video!

Having reacquainted myself with a Glasair I'm sure that the Smart is the next step... I also have an FMS Asw28 glider to assemble but no space at present. Hey ho..

Hi Tim

I e-mailed CML myself this morning and have received an Iimmediate reply from Steve Mallinder who flew the Smart in theirvpromo video and he says that he has just added a couple of clicks of throttle trim as the motor appears to prefer to spin.... I suppose we will just have to see how matters progress.

Anyway, I had already ordered one this morning and look forward to delivery on Friday

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

New guy here with a couple of questions. I have bought a Smart as a way back into the hobby as I last flew about 20 years ago.

Everything seems to go together easily enough (even with the chinglish) but I have two questions about the servo wiring.

Firstly, there is a Y lead that is lablled 'THR' at the rx end. This is connected to the ESC and the nose wheel servo. This does not seem right to me. Surely it should be the rudder and nosewheel that are connected together?

Secondly, there is a small, shrink wrapped circuit board on a servo extension lead that is plugged into the ESC. What is this for?

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 13/09/2013 12:47:42

Hi Simon, welcome to the nonsense here, and to your return to this ridiculous hobby! smile d

We were also puzzled by the mis-placement of the Y-lead, and so moved it to couple the rudder and nosewheel together.

I'm guessing that the little devoce you see plugged into the ESC is a satellite voltage regulator. Normally this would be integral with the ESC. We just plugged ours into the rx and all seems well.

If this hobby was easy, it would be called golf.......

timwink 2

Well, Netty's Smart has several flights to its credit now, and she loves it!

It's very agile in the air, but not very fast. So, slow aeros are it's forte, with a sort of semi 3D performance available.

That little rudder is ample for knife edge flight, although it pays to mix in some up elevator and opposing aileron. This is covered in the enclosed addendum sheet in the kit.

The supplied powertrain will enable it to prop hang for several seconds. Mind you, we're using a hefty 4S 4000 cell pack.

The stuttering ESC isn't a problem in flight, although the tiny nose wheel has caused the under-specified steering servo to strip its gears. I've replaced it with a metal-geared item.

So what would I change?

Well, the ESC would go, and then I'd fit a slightly deeper-pitched prop to give it a litttle more speed.

Anybody else got any feedback to give?

tim

• 1 month later...