Pitts Special S1 - 1/3 scale

Herri

Hey

sorry for the writing...my IPhone tricked me...

The Text is quite a mess, but you only need the pictures, These are missing in the Excel Sheet, but would be of significant help.

John,

the weight method is the most accurate and is also used on real aircraft to determine the CoG.

I think for the Pitts and other plains of this size it is a very comfi method.

Cheers

Ric

Advert

Ok guys

as promised, here some pictures of my build.

I have made a box for my lipos, I plan to use 3pcs 2S 2500mAh. 1x RX, 1x ignition, 1x Smoker (Alternative secondary RX).

foto 16.04.14 16 39 30.jpg

Probably by now you will notice, that instead of applying the 3.5mm balsa cover in the tail, I first mounted the rudder. By now (yesterday I applied the first half of it) I know it was a mistake as it takes hell more time to add it now.

foto 16.04.14 16 39 43.jpg

Also the mounting for tanks, ignition and smoker is in place. The small tank is for the smoke system. I am using the Emcotec with integrated one way valve (needs less parts for installation).

I am now going down to my dungeon (the place to build the Pitts)

Cheers

Ric

I only used one scale.

I made up two pieces of packing, the exact height of the scales.

I placed these under the two wheels which were not being weighed.

Then just switch them around until you have done all 3 wheels.

Hope this makes sense

Hey folks

just made a Little of work...

Back of the plan eis ready and wires have been soldered.

Also tank and Engine have been fitted. I need to work on the Gas servo linkage to the carb.

Pics will follow as my IPad doesn't like the editor...

Edited By Hornet Rider on 18/04/2014 18:58:52

Edited By Hornet Rider on 18/04/2014 19:01:31

Maiden Today !! smileysmileysmiley

Benn waiting for a few days for the wind to drop.

This afternoon was much better.

First flight was real easy, just a couple of notches down on the elevator trim.

Had a second flight, everything ok. yes

The photos are not that good but done with the phone.

p1.jpg

p5.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

I've got a work trip on tomorrow, so it'll be a few days before I can fly again but hey, I know its all ok. smiley

Well this afternoon seemed a good one for flying, the risk of a shower but 10km wind max.

The engine started perfectly. I had decided to fly around trying the higher rates (first flights were on a tad lower than on the plan)

I also wanted to let the engine run with the occasional burst of full, then back to idle or low revs. To that end I had slightly upped the idle as after my last landing last week, the engine stopped. It restarted again straight away so there was no worries about it getting hot or anything.

I am so scared of the engine stopping. blush

After about 12 min, I decide to land.

I came in much too fast and the idle was much too high.

The pratt holding the sticks (me angry 2 ) should have executed a go-around straight away but didn’t. When he realized it was going pear shaped, there was a huge bounce and he opened up missing the perimeter fence by inches (according to the observers)

Luckily the engine responded perfectly and we dragged the aircraft back into the air.

On downwind, I noticed something wrong with the gear. One side was not as it should be (appearing to pushed up)

The landing this time was ok.

Taxing back it looked as if the gear on one side was jammed. I couldn’t see what was wrong but there seemed to be no other damage.

Driving home, I dreaded to open the alu panel and see what the damage was.

cimg5209.jpg

cimg5207.jpg

cimg5204.jpg

Luckily, it was my alu panel holding the gear as the wire stopping the gear extending too far had broken (see photo) and the one leg was just trapped.

The panel was a bit bent but otherwise everything seems ok.

I am soooo relieved and have fitted a new wire (2 actually) and flying can recommence. smiley

Hopefully him on the sticks will have learnt his lesson. blush