Chromebook help needed

Peter Miller

I just bought an Acer Chromebook. When I set it up as the owner I got a picture and set up the pass word. Then I browsed the internet. Next time I stwitched it on the oicture came up and asked for my password. IT doesn't matter what I do. I put tha password in and left click and it asks again. I have tried every button on the key board and nothing makes it open.

I can set up another user and that gets the same result. Just asking for the password.

I can use it as a guest but that does not do much.

Google back up is totally useless. I can't find any contact to phone or email to ask what I am suposed to do.

Now once I have put my password in, does anyone know what one should press next or should I send it back to Amazon and get my money back.

Advert

Peter I have no idea.

I have a feeling that the Chromebook is intended to be used always on line, and revolves around having a google account.

Is it worth checking on a PC that the name and password do work as a valid google account?
Also, is the Chrmebook connected to the internet before you log in? (If there's a way to tell)

Treat the above suggestions with the suspicion they deserve, I have no experience of Chrome books.

Peter, I am not surprised. I find that home computers (and the internet) are designed by academics and scientists to be used by the people who have grown up with them.

Trying to use common sense just does not work.

Ergonomics from the 1950's.

The main problem is the language used. Often completely misleading and assuming expertise on the part of the user.

Assumptions that the user knows ALL of the abbreviations, acronyms, and procedures.

Seems to be the same for so many modern gadgets - it's about time they realised user manuals shouldn't be written by the designer......sad

This applies to Tx's too, in my experience - how often have we seen freelance tutorials subsequently appear to supplement the manufacturers 'manual'?

Pete

An acquantance of mine has in the past written 'after-market' software manuals for people who find the original manuals useless. His point is that most manuals go about things the wrong way round.

So the manual, for instance, tells you (in nauseating detail) "What happens when you press button A".

But the user wants to know, "How do I achieve XYZ?" - and the answer might well be, by pressing button A! But unless the user knows to look at the button A section in the manual he's none the wiser until he manages to stumble across it.