whats the best 55-60 cc petrol engine

ben goodfellow  1

Advert

Probably better to have asked which not to buy, as few people own a large number of different makes/models to offer an informed opinion of comparison. Usually if you own one and it performs OK it is easy to think you have the bees knees. However if you have had a bad experience your opinion is valuable, particularly of service/warranty.

Having said that, MOKI for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 13/09/2013 22:26:28:

has any one had out to do with mintor engines. they look really good . but i read some where that there were problems with them

One of my flying buddies uses one in a Wot 4XL,seems to fly nicely. I have to mention RCGF though good price easy start reliable.

Well i have to agree with woody with the 3W engines as being the best engines out there, As the distributors for 3W in the United Kingdom we really are honoured to sell them in the UK, All of the engines we have sold have been absolutely rock solid, I was recently over in Germany at the 3W factory & i have to say i was seriously impressed! not only were there racks upon racks of spares parts available for engines dating as far back as the 80 but the amount of engines & test equipment they had onsite was unbeleiveable! The engines them selves have been rock solid, we have engines as i said earlier coming in for a service from the late 80's early 90's & all we need to do is maybe replace the reed valve & the exhaust gasket & she is ready for another few years service easy! When we asked what the approximate life time for a 3W engine was the answer was quite simple, if you run it to there instruction you should easily be able to run a 3W engine for about 700,000 hours, not bad i say haha! and before you start doing the math's thats just under 80 years of contineous running! Also while we are on the subject of continueous running people ask me what is the differance between a 3W ignition & say a cheap chineese ignition, Well one of the highlights i like to point out to people is The cheaper chineese ignitions are made to work for a period of around 10 minutes of flight time, after this there performance starts to drop off but for most modellers 10 minutes is about the length of a flight, with a 3W ignition it will hold the same performance for hours & hours, i beleive the last test was about 24 hours long of continuesous running at the same rpm etc etc & there was no performance dip, Thats why so many leading drone companies install 3W engines into there uav aircraft because they are reliable & they can guarentee the performance from takeoff to landing say 12 hours later after a mission etc etc.

It is also great to see so many 3W engines being used by modellers all across not only the UK but around the world, When we attended the shows & see so many warbirds kitted out with 3W 55's & 80's as well as the big show stopper aircraft such as Steve Carr's 60% Extra with a 3W 684CC & Bill Hemple in the states you know that they are highly regarded.

Ive attached some photos of the 3W factory when a few of us from Probuild went there earlier this year,

Keith Smith & Andrew Checking out how 3W Make There Cylinders

Spare Cylinders In-Stock

A Row of 3W 28i CS engines almost ready to be shipped out to a customer.

And Of Course one to finnish off our photos us outside there Factory In Germany, Myself Andrew, Phil Williams & Peter Wintrich

Hopefully ive given everyone a bit of an insiht into 3W engines

Chris Williams

Probuild Aircraft Ltd

i have looked very hard at mintor ,they look great .like in your thread iam just chilling along on deciding what to buy , ive just got a slick 89 and is really big for a 50cc plane so i feel i need a one of the better more powerful 55/60cc engines rather than a run of the mill one( buy right buy quality buy once ) i have asked a number of shops about mintor and they all praise them very highly....