Sound systems.

I recently installed a Benedini sound system in my Flair Magnatilla. I use their 2x40W amplifier and two 4" speakers. In total it adds about 1lb to my flying weight, and as a consequence reduces my flight time (electric power) from 7 minutes to 5 minutes. But the sound is amazing, especially when it's 'ticking over' on landing, and can be heard at normal flying altitude provided there's not too many noisy glow models in the air too.

Mounting the speakers is probably the most critical thing for good volume and, of course, they need to have holes cut so that the sound can get out. I cut full-size (i.e. 4" diameter) holes in the sides of my Magnatilla and fitted expanded aluminium (from Halfords, sold as a matrix for fibreglass car repair) speaker grilles painted to match the rest of the covering.

With the Benedini, the amplifier needs to have direct contact with the air, for cooling, so I cut a square hole in the underside of the fuselage to match the heatsink on the amplifier, and mounted the amplifier with its heat sink sitting in the hole flush with the underside of the fuselage.

My amplifier is rated for 14v maximum, and my main power supply is 5S A123 (16.5v nominal). So I put a couple of zener diodes in the amplifier's positive line to reduce its voltage by 2v or so. When my A123 batteries expire I plan to run the model on 3S LiPo (I'll have to get a higher kv version of the same motor I have now) so I can reduce the weight a little while increasing the mAh capacity; that'll be just right to run the amplifier without any diodes.

Hi, I have installed a sound system to my Hangar 9 Hellcat. The system was bought from Model Sounds. The people at Model Sounds were very helpful and the service was excellent.

The system was quite easy to install testing it in the garage without a propeller on was excellent.

The first flight was a little disappointing as you could hear too much engine and prop noise. The motor I was using was a very old Axi. I changed the motor to an E-Flite 60 with a APC prop. The difference was tremendous. On this system when you fire the guns the engine noise stops therefore you can clearly hear the guns you can also clearly see the LEDS flashing even on a clear day. I think the best bit is the start up and the shut down.

I have tried to upload photos of the installation but have not been successful I could email them to you if they were of interest.

Posted by John Holliday 1 on 30/09/2013 16:36:04:

Hi, I have installed a sound system to my Hangar 9 Hellcat. The system was bought from Model Sounds. The people at Model Sounds were very helpful and the service was excellent.

... On this system when you fire the guns the engine noise stops therefore you can clearly hear the guns you can also clearly see the LEDS flashing even on a clear day.

This behaviour is not the default since the ShockWave sound module can play two engine sounds plus gunfire sounds all simultaneously. John must have re-configured it to "Single Sound Mode" which will stop a currently playing sound when a second one is triggerderd.

David Harrison

CEO, Model Sounds Inc.

Finally worked out how to download photographs and will attempt Ytube at the weekend

As you can hopefully see I did use the two 4” speakers. The setting up of the sound system is quite straightforward and the instructions are easy to follow.

The difficult bit is deciding where to install the speakers. The Hellcat has a large cowl, which accommodated one speaker comfortably, and I was able to install the other in the wing bell pan.

I think the installation looks pretty tidy and does not spoil the scale look of the model.

With regard to David’s comment on the sound of the engine being suppressed when firing the guns he is correct but the guns can be clearly heard and look and sound fantastic.

One other thing if you fire the guns when a friend is about to retrieve the model it frightens the life out of them

Posted by Mark Reynolds on 03/10/2013 09:08:14:

With your model sounds amp John, does it need to be in airflow? Or is inside the fuselage ok? I can see from your

pictures that you have it inside, just wondered how hot it got?

Just to clarify something, our ShockWave sound module does not use a separate ampflier board, like at least one competitor does. Our sound module incorporates its own 40Watt audio power amplifier right on the sound module board. Becaiuse of its highly efficient Class D power amp. it does not need a heatsink and it does not need to be in a moving airflow. It should, however, have free convection air around it and not be enclosed in a case.

How warm it gets depends on what voltage you operate it at. It does get quite warm when operated on its maxmium 6S supply. It has built it thermal overheating protection and we have never known any of our sound modules to shutdown because they got too hot.

I will also make a comment about the so called 2 x 40Watt output claimed by one competitor for his outboard amplifer. That is a theoretical maximum only and can only be achieved when it is drivng 2 Ohm loads and at 18Volts. When driving 4 Ohm speakers the theoretical maximum power is 2 x 20Watts at 18Volts. Since you can't buy 2 Ohm loudspeakers, that is a rather misleading claim, to say the least.

Regards,
David Harrison
CEO, Model Sounds Inc.

Mark

I do have the module mounted in the fuselage and I have never experienced any over heating problems I must have flown the model at least 10 to 12 times in fact when I was testing it on the bench it hardly got warm.

I have 6 LED 3 on each wing the wiring is a bit fiddly but not difficult.

If you decide to go for LED get Model Systems to solder the wires to the lamps they don’t charge much and I think this would be difficult unless you have a lot of experience at soldering.

I run my Hellcat on 6 cell batteries you would need to tell Model Systems your set up so they can provide you with the correct resistors. I would definitely go for the LED as they do look impressive.

Posted by Model Sounds Inc. on 03/10/2013 17:09:36:
... I will also make a comment about the so called 2 x 40Watt output claimed by one competitor for his outboard amplifer. That is a theoretical maximum only and can only be achieved when it is drivng 2 Ohm loads and at 18Volts. When driving 4 Ohm speakers the theoretical maximum power is 2 x 20Watts at 18Volts. Since you can't buy 2 Ohm loudspeakers, that is a rather misleading claim, to say the least.

Regards,
David Harrison
CEO, Model Sounds Inc.

Maybe you can't buy 2-ohm loudspeakers, but isn't two 4-ohm speakers in parallel effectively the same? If so, that would presumably enable the 2x40 watt output that you mention.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 06/10/2013 21:45:36:
... I will also make a comment about the so called 2 x 40Watt output claimed by one competitor for his outboard amplifer. That is a theoretical maximum only and can only be achieved when it is drivng 2 Ohm loads and at 18Volts. When driving 4 Ohm speakers the theoretical maximum power is 2 x 20Watts at 18Volts. Since you can't buy 2 Ohm loudspeakers, that is a rather misleading claim, to say the least.

Regards,
David Harrison
CEO, Model Sounds Inc.

Maybe you can't buy 2-ohm loudspeakers, but isn't two 4-ohm speakers in parallel effectively the same? If so, that would presumably enable the 2x40 watt output that you mention.

Yes, that's correct, but that would imply using a total of four 4oHm loudspeakers. Only the very largest models could accommodate that.

-David

Posted by Model Sounds Inc. on 06/10/2013 21:58:53:

Regards,
David Harrison
CEO, Model Sounds Inc.

Yes, that's correct, but that would imply using a total of four 4oHm loudspeakers. Only the very largest models could accommodate that.

-David

I have no axe to grind on this topic, but it does catch my attention when one manufacturer/vendor starts rubbishing a competitor's offerings.

As with most things, you have to read the spec. to see that 2x40 watts is available provided you use 2-ohm speakers. In fact, if you're talking about the manufacturer I think you are, that fact is stated in the headline descriptions of the amplifiers, not the "small print". So what's "misleading" about that?

Posted by Allan Bennett on 07/10/2013 11:17:23:
Posted by Model Sounds Inc. on 06/10/2013 21:58:53:

Regards,
David Harrison
CEO, Model Sounds Inc.

-David

I have no axe to grind on this topic, but it does catch my attention when one manufacturer/vendor starts rubbishing a competitor's offerings.

As with most things, you have to read the spec. to see that 2x40 watts is available provided you use 2-ohm speakers. In fact, if you're talking about the manufacturer I think you are, that fact is stated in the headline descriptions of the amplifiers, not the "small print". So what's "misleading" about that?

Allan, I think you are misinterpreting my intention here. I am not "rubbishing" anyone. In fact this other manufacturer has a good product. All I was doing is pointing out that you have to be careful when reading manufacturer's claims.

Amplifier and loudspeaker manufacturers (all of them) have a notorious reputation for overstating the capability of their products and making claims of performance that, when you really look into it, are not achievable under typical operating conditions. Even though they may clarify their claims in the specs., the vast majority of modellers who are not well versed in electronics won't understand the significance of many of those specs. and may think that they can achieve the manufacturer's claims under any and all operating conditions. So, as with anything else, buyer beware.

• 2 weeks later...

So at long last the sound system has turned up. smiley

Note to royal mail, it took 3 days to cover the whole of Canada and the Atlantic, it took 11 days to get from UK customs to my house. Rubbish! Anyway, on first examination the sound system looks like a good piece of kit. I have had some anxieties about spending so much money on a sound system for a plane but overall the standard of gear included is very good indeed.

As recommended by the manual, I have made a complete back up of all the files on the mini sd card using an including usb SD card reader.

I am still reading the instruction manual as it is all quite complicated at first glance. I have never set up anything like this before so I will have to take my time...

Posted by Mark Reynolds on 16/10/2013 13:45:16:

So at long last the sound system has turned up. smiley

I am still reading the instruction manual as it is all quite complicated at first glance. I have never set up anything like this before so I will have to take my time...

The printed quick-start guide, which is only 6 pages, is really all you need read to get started. Then later, if you want to learn all about its full capabilities, you can read the reference manual on the micro-SD card.

Regards,
David

I used the model sounds of Canada system some years back, in a short lived Sopwith Camel. The article did appear in the mag, and if you check the "customer videos" section on Model sounds inc website, it is still featured there for you to check out.

I think twin speakers, correctly positioned, together with a highg power amplifier will prove the most important part of any such system installation. In the video of my Camel, there is only a single speaker, facing downwards near the front of the model - I always felt that it would be great to utilize the wing panels if possible.

Posted by Tim Mackey on 16/10/2013 19:21:32:

I used the model sounds of Canada system some years back, in a short lived Sopwith Camel. The article did appear in the mag, and if you check the "customer videos" section on Model sounds inc website, it is still featured there for you to check out.

Just so you know, Model Sounds Inc. is the new name for "Model Solutions of Canada Ltd." We changed our company name almost two years ago. The new name is simpler, easier to remember, and more relevant to what we do.