Sound systems.

I am awaiting delivery of my system (which it seems has been in UK customs for a week) and intend mounting downward firing speakers in the wing. I’m wondering if, since the covering will be doped nylon, should I install balsa sheeting over the top of the speakers to act as sound reflectors?

Hi guys.. sorry for the delay I have been unwell. I had my system up and running last week.

It is very easy to setup and like david said the quick guide is all you really need to get started.

I have recorded some very small clips of the setup for those that are interested.

See the links here...

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

The system itself is very loud indeed. I have turned it right down whilst I work on it in the shed as I don't want to go deaf! lol...

I am currently making a plywood motor mount/speaker enclosure to hold it all as far forward as possible.

I'm just a normal guy not a sound engineer or anything but to me the sounds are very good. I am going to order the software next month from Model Sounds Inc, so I can lengthen the siren sound and also maybe tweak some other sounds.

All in all very good. I am going to try and get a 20mm cannon sound from somewhere as well so I can add it to the board.

Hope this is helpful to someone...

Cheers Mark

Posted by Greybeard on 24/10/2013 07:54:50:

I am awaiting delivery of my system (which it seems has been in UK customs for a week) and intend mounting downward firing speakers in the wing. I’m wondering if, since the covering will be doped nylon, should I install balsa sheeting over the top of the speakers to act as sound reflectors?

By "downward" I assume you mean the speaker cone is facing outwards, i.e. down when the plane is in normal, level flight? Doped nylon is not going to let the sound out very well. And using balsa in speaker box construction is not good because it is too soft. A speaker box should be as rigid and sturdy as possible.

Posted by Model Sounds Inc. on 24/10/2013 13:40:47:

By "downward" I assume you mean the speaker cone is facing outwards, i.e. down when the plane is in normal, level flight? Doped nylon is not going to let the sound out very well. And using balsa in speaker box construction is not good because it is too soft. A speaker box should be as rigid and sturdy as possible.

Yes the speakers will be mounted in the wing pointing down. Whilst the wing is of traditional balsa construction which will be nylon covered and doped I will not dope the nylon over the speakers since these will be covered by a removable panel. From your comments it seems that I need to construct ply speaker boxes.

David, As an aside it is not a good idea to use a postal system that links with our Royal Mail for delivery because not only do they take forever to sort out the taxes due but they also charge £10 for the privilege of doing it. FedEx are much better because they deliver without delay and just provide an invoice, without a clearing fee, which can be paid on line. I suppose I should have told you that when I placed my order. crying

Posted by Greybeard on 24/10/2013 15:25:18:

David, As an aside it is not a good idea to use a postal system that links with our Royal Mail for delivery because not only do they take forever to sort out the taxes due but they also charge £10 for the privilege of doing it. FedEx are much better because they deliver without delay and just provide an invoice, without a clearing fee, which can be paid on line. I suppose I should have told you that when I placed my order. crying

Hi, we always use the postal system for deliveries (to over 45 countries, BTW), unless otherwise requested by the customer since it ALWAYS works out to be less expensive for the customer. If we had used a courier service such as FedEx or UPS , they charge MUCH more than Canada Post even taking into account the £10 brokerage fee that Royal Mail charge.

Regards,
David

Posted by Model Sounds Inc. on 24/10/2013 16:07:59:
Posted by Greybeard on 24/10/2013 15:25:18:

Hi, we always use the postal system for deliveries (to over 45 countries, BTW), unless otherwise requested by the customer since it ALWAYS works out to be less expensive for the customer. If we had used a courier service such as FedEx or UPS , they charge MUCH more than Canada Post even taking into account the £10 brokerage fee that Royal Mail charge.

Regards,
David

Thanks David, I'm sure that you are right, I shall just have to be patient and let the wheels of commerce grind even if it is exceedingly slowly. sad

Interesting. I recently received a scale heli fuselage from the USA, sent via USPS and Parcelforce (too big for Royal Mail). Parcelforce sent me a card notifying me of customs duty (plus their £10 clearing fee), but they gave a web address where I was able to pay online. Delivery then followed pretty quickly.

USPS was by far the cheapest delivery option, according to the US vendor.

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 24/10/2013 20:20:00:

So basically you are all missing the sound of a good old engine !smile p Not sure I could justify $199 on a speaker system - no pun intended or glow v electric debate just a bit of fun - enjoy !

So would you like your model Spitfire to sound like a weed whacker, or a Rolls Royce Merlin Engine!!! smiley

Posted by Greybeard on 26/10/2013 10:49:00:

I received a letter from Royal Mail this morning informing me that if I pay them £13.50 plus £32.65 Import Vat then they will deliver the system next Tuesday.

I remain puzzled as to why goods from HK in China do not carry these penalty charges.

I fully sympathize with our U.K. customers who have to pay U.K. customs duties and VAT, but any foreign country's importation charges are completely outside of our control. We know very well about import duties and taxes as when we import goods from China , HK and even the U.S, just across our border, we have to pay Canadian import duties, federal taxes, brokerage fees and taxes on the brokerage fees.

I have no idea why U.K. customers do not have to pay taxes and duties on stuff from China/HK. But if it is any consolation, consider if you travelled on holiday to a country outside the EU, and returned to the U.K. with foreign goods purchased on holiday, the U.K customs people would clobber you right there when you arrived home. It seems to me it depends on what side of the bed, the customs officer got out of that day - sometimes you get charged, sometimes you don't.

We all hate paying importation duties and paying taxes - we do too, but they are the facts of buying internationally, I'm afraid.

Two reasons why you might not pay duty on goods from China/HK (or anywhere else for that matter):

1. I believe there's a value below which they don't bother to charge and, 2. I have experienced where some vendors put a ridiculously low, false, value on the customs declaration, as well as saying the goods are from a family member.

Has any one tried out the sound system by MrRCSound? Looks like it offers good value & low weight.**LINK** UK reseller is R/C airplane world.

It always astounds me how much you guy's in the UK get clobbered for frieght costs, duty, taxes etc.

We must be lucky here in NZ as all we pay is the actual cost incl. frieght up to NZ$399, and usually customs don't bother much if it is over that for toy's & hobbies. More interested in catching Dope smugglers & money laundering.

It doesn't help that U.K. VAT is a whopping 20%. The actual customs duty is a few %, I believe, but it is the dammed tax that gets you - blame that on the U.K. government, I guess.

We cannot declare an artificially low value, or declare it as a gift, because a) that immediately raises suspicions by the customs officers and attracts their attention and b) it is illegal and we could be subject to fines and other financial penalties.

Be careful when looking at alternative products based on price alone - as with anything else in this world - you get what you pay for.

So I have ordered the software now to customise my sound files to suit me a little better. Just waiting for it to arrive.

I will post some more info when it arrives. Currently, I am still trying to shape and tweak my speaker box to fix on the front of my stuka. Fingers crossed, I can just about squeeze it in!

yes

After three long and grovelling telephone calls to Royal Mail they at last agreed that I had indeed paid the duty plus their unreasonable £13.50 clearance charge and condescended to deliver the Model Sounds system to me yesterday.

I bench tested it and can confirm that it is very noisy! yes

Today I am adapting my Mighty Barnstormer wing to accommodate the speakers.

Posted by Martin Harris on 05/11/2013 13:55:54:

Next step will be for an enterprising manufacturer to make an oil and smut distribution system for added realism so that the model will ooze oil and soot like the real thing!

Just out of interest, how are sound equipped models regarded at "electric only" sites?

The oily smoke bit is already available I think.

I imagine electric only sites would require the sound module to be switched off, mine has such an accessory.