Concorde, 10 years

I have a Concorde story for you CSB - you may well know this, but worth recollecting I think.

There was a time that NATO was becoming seriously concerned that the Soviets might develop a supersonic intercontinental bomber. They wanted to know if the current crop of high-speed, high-altitude fighters would be able to intercept such a bomber - particularly with a stern conversion interception, the most difficult of all. The problem was - no one had a "target plane" to act the part of the Soviet bomber.

Well eventually they hit on the idea of using a Concorde, so got in touch with BA and duely hired the use of one for the exercise.

The Americans tried with the F-14 (Tomcat), the F-15 (Eagle), the F16 (Falcon) and the F104 (Starfighter). But none of them could reel-in the airliner (embarassing or what! embarrassed).

It gets better - the French tried with the Mirage - but that couldn't catch Concorde either! (Oh deep joy! smile p)

Only one fighter did it, out all those that tried. Which one? The BAC Lightning! Another product of British Aero-Engineering, by then an old lady of over 20 years use.

I can tell you, that was a very good day to be a British engineer!!

BEB

Advert

A very detailed technical review of Concorde's development highlighted some of the underlying issues that probably meant Concorde was always going to be a one off.

Basically Concorde was too small. A situation brought about by the limitations of having to use the Olympus 593 (courtesy of the 320 from TSR2!). The cost to develop a new bigger engine was prohibitive.

The result was that Concorde was only just a transatlantic aircraft. Rolls did a wonderful job to extract the maximum possible thrust but it took time and meant the Olympus was virtually at the end of its development potential even as Concorde went into service.

From then on any addition to the airframe had to be offset by a saving made else where. Hence the use of lightweight carbon fibre lightweight passenger seats to offset the weight of the fuel tank protection in the post crash upgrade.

There were aerodynamic improvements. Production Concordes had modified wing leading edges to reduce drag (the result of wind tunnel information not available during the initial design) but then they were also longer and heavier.

I am not knocking Concorde but there were many issues beyond economics that limited its future. It does however remain as one of the most striking planes ever built.

It has been said that to get a supersonic airliner into commercial passenger service was a big a technical achievement as putting a man on the moon - but then no one has done that again either! wink 2

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/11/2013 22:11:37:

I have a Concorde story for you CSB - you may well know this, but worth recollecting I think.

There was a time that NATO was becoming seriously concerned that the Soviets might develop a supersonic intercontinental bomber. They wanted to know if the current crop of high-speed, high-altitude fighters would be able to intercept such a bomber - particularly with a stern conversion interception, the most difficult of all. The problem was - no one had a "target plane" to act the part of the Soviet bomber.

Well eventually they hit on the idea of using a Concorde, so got in touch with BA and duely hired the use of one for the exercise.

The Americans tried with the F-14 (Tomcat), the F-15 (Eagle), the F16 (Falcon) and the F104 (Starfighter). But none of them could reel-in the airliner (embarassing or what! embarrassed).

It gets better - the French tried with the Mirage - but that couldn't catch Concorde either! (Oh deep joy! smile p)

Only one fighter did it, out all those that tried. Which one? The BAC Lightning! Another product of British Aero-Engineering, by then an old lady of over 20 years use.

I can tell you, that was a very good day to be a British engineer!!

BEB

Thanks for sharing that one  Dave. Like you say British engineering or what smile d  The recent bbc series  "cold war hot  jets"  has really made me realise how easy it is to forget what we achieved.

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 26/11/2013 23:56:07

I watched the whole story again on cable TV last night which included all the theories as to why the French Concorde crashed. Discussed were the issues of over-filled fuel tanks, over weight by 1 ton (unrecorded prior to take-off), omission of spacer on undercarriage which caused the take off path to veer and possible damage to tyre(s) plus the issue regarding metal debris left by the DC10 which damaged a tyre. There was a claim by a fireman that the plane was on-fire prior to hitting the metal debris.

I was not aware that the modifications to the fuel tanks including the installation of bullet proof Kevlar was recommended prior to the crash. I was also not aware that the passenger levels on the French Concordes following 7/11 and the tank and tyre upgrades had reduced to only five or six. Also it would seem during this period another French Concorde was nearly lost after an engine failed and the plane lost an extensive amount of fuel and only just managed to land I think in British Columbia?

The final flights of the planes were of course covered, and a senior pilot who left Heathrow last on the day said he looked around himself and saw five airworthy Concordes that were being scrapped and what a waste!

I hope I have not repeated much that has already been stated on this blog!

​MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 28/11/2013 16:00:54

• 2 months later...

There is a 45th anniversary celebration of the first Concorde flight at Brooklands next week on the 2nd of February as advertised on the Brooklands website. Brooklands is easy to get to by rail and bus, and apart from the museum there is free entry to Mercedes World which has a huge hotel adjacent. I have attached some Concorde pictures from last week plus a VC10,the last plane to land at Brooklands:

MJE

p2200086.jpg

p2200087.jpg

p2200088.jpg

p2200089.jpg

p2200090.jpg

A fantastic thread.

Here are a few sad photos (not very good quality) of G-BOAA that were taken on 2 measuring-up trips to Heathrow where she was ruthlessly cut to pieces. We made the 2 cradles which supported her during transportation to Scotland. An amazing piece of engineering. Fascinating to be able to look inside the wing sections at the construction, but I couldn't find any better pictures........it was a long time ago!

I made a lovely keyring from a Concorde bolt I acquired as a cherished momento.

Regards Ian

• 2 months later...

Warning: Over opinionated rant below!

Airbus are so irritating! This is Concorde F-WTSB that is going in a new museum in Toulouse, but Airbus are advertising it as having the registration MSN-1! Airbus give their aircraft registrations beginning with MSN, and they've done it to Concorde which I do not like at all! I like that they are looking after it but it is almost as if they are trying to take credit for something made before Airbus existed, just because it is famous. And I don't like the colour scheme, I like the BAC and Aerospatiale logos but the writing on the tail is a horrible font and it is just bland, hopefully they change it. In my opinion, I should be given this airframe and a few hundred million pounds and manufacturer support to show them right!

Rant over!

CS

• 11 months later...
Hello,

Today I went to Filton for an apprenticeship assessment day, the birthplace of Concorde in the UK.

A milestone for me was that I saw Concorde G-BOAF! I have a poster of this aeroplane on my bedroom wall! It is the third Concorde airframe I have seen and the first production one for me. She is beautiful, but it is sad to see her sitting outside alone. There is a museum that will be built for her though.

CS