Flea Fli Build Blog

Martyn K

Errrrr. yes - about that. A little bit more than expected, I was hoping for about 300W peak. I'll tame it with a throttle curve I think, it was very fiddly getting the motor in and out because the magnets were stopping me getting the screws located.

I know what you mean about too much power. When I over ooomphed my Delta it careered across the field rolling violently left until I throttled back and then it was really well behaved..

I know it will fly on 100W, I'll try and limit it to 300W and see what happens

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

Apologies, I have just spotted this. I'll have to go and measure up. TBH, I never really measure and usually settle on about 15-20 deg up/down for elevator and ailerons plus as much as I can get on the rudder with about 50% expo.

Whatever looks about right.

On the motor/power side, I have now restricted it to just over 300W ground running and that feels like plenty.

I just need to have a decent day to fly it again now.

Martyn

Hi Bob
That probably feasible but I already have a few 2200 3S LiPo's and i dont really want to buy 2S packs for this.. i think i would be flying it on fullpower all the timebif i lost a cell as well so may not get the extra duration.

I think it will be ok, i simply limited max throttle to abt 60% using the trims.

Martyn

• 4 weeks later...

Martyn has done some more tweaking on the motor and had it down at our field today, guess who got to have a fly of it smile.

I'd been doing a spot of thermal gliding, then found myself helping out a young member and during that time Martyn arrived. He always seems to get something interesting out of the boot of the car and today was no exception. Whilst I was busy he'd had a flight with the Flea Fli and of what I saw of it it seemed to fly well and little while later I had chance to have a chat with him and before I knew it we were at the flight line where I was to have a fly.

Our field is in quite good condition for the time of the year but not brilliant so Martyn having only said "hold the transmitter for moment" (I presumed to do something or other) then held the model aloft to launch. "Hang on," says I,"is it on low rates", "no rates set" he replies. Tells me to set about half throttle and then he launched it. Brave man wink 2.

Well off it went slightly pitched up but not gaining much height so I gave it a just a few more revs and it was sweet as a nut. It's no secret that I fly none power, electric and IC and of the three I prefer either none or IC but this model was nice and smooth and after a "I wonder what it's like circuit" I thought I might as well give it roll and that's when it became evident why I was enjoying it... it did just what I asked of it. Go for a roll and over she goes then level out, just stop the roll and it's there it was with the wings level precisely where I wanted it. I don't get to adventurous with other peoples models but I did decide that it was good for basic rolls, loops, stalls, cuban 8s, inverted stalls.. well you get my drift, it really is a competent flyer and immediately instils confidence in it's abilities.

As usual I'm not buying or building any new models this year, apart from a wicked wing I thought I'd have for calmer days, oh and I've got a Seagull Miles Sparrowhawk out of it's box. There's a glider I might have a go at too (that's Mr. K leading me astray again) and now I'm thinking, hmm that Flea Fli, hmm. Good build Martyn and thanks for the flight.

I liked it a bit. teeth 2

Edited By Ian Jones on 02/03/2014 00:23:31

Glad you enjoyed it Ian. It was nice to let someone loose with it who can fly much better than me. Either it flattered you or you flattered it. Either way, it was good to watch

An IC one is still on the cards - later this year maybe.

Martyn

Hi kc

it was hand launched again. The strip is still too bumpy for the little wheels. Even some of the big models are having problems keeping track - like my Acrowot - on take off. The prop kept grounding when a takeoff was attempted,

So far the setup is: (All from GS)

Keda ThumRun 2837/10 motor

HobbyWing 60A ESC

9x6E prop

The whole lot is limited to just over 300W by using the trims on the transmitter. This level of power is about right although I may try a 9x4E prop to give a bit more bite when its moving slowly and then reset the power back to 300W again. Ian noticed that it was initially sluggish from the hand launch until it got to flying speed.

The take offs will have to wait until after the strip has been mowed and rollered

Edited By Martyn K on 03/03/2014 13:16:37

• 6 months later...

Ok, that's promoted it a few places up the list. smiley

Just goes to show that for all the technical advances we enjoy, and the enormous range and variety of kits, artfs etc that we're currently blessed with, there are still plenty of absolute gems from "back in the day"

How has the castoring nosewheel arrangement worked out in practise?

Probably not as well as expected. It tracks nicely when its moving at speed but it wont steer well at low speed due to the lack of drive from the rudder. I have also broken it twice on slightly hard landings/arrivals. I probably wont bother with that brilliant idea again...frown

It's still in place but if I build another one, I would make it fixed.

M

• 2 years later...

Hi

I've only just found this thread. Been intending to build another Flea Fli for some time, my first was back in the eighties. No problem with the nosewheel steering then, just built it fixed! Point it in the right direction before you let go and the rudder gives it enough steering to keep it straight once up to speed. It was powered with an Enya .19 and was definitely not underpowered.

My main memory of it was that it did the fastest vertical outside snap rolls I've ever seen, Much fun!!! Just looking for a gap in the building schedule now.

If it does get nominated for the mass build then I might just shuffle some projects around and do it sooner.

Great thread BTW - enjoyed reading through it!

• 2 months later...

I know this is a thread from a few years ago but I just wanted to say thanks to Martyn for documenting his build. Having found this thread a few months back I decided to build a Flea Fli. This thread was very helpful during the build. I did make a few changes along the way, converting mine to taildragger. It's had 3 flights so far but the last one ended in a stall and some damage, all repaired now and awaiting another test flight.

Thanks John.

Flea Fli