Removing servos from foamy wings

I am having to do some work on Flappit's, that is my wife's Multiplex Fun Cub.

Now I know that anything glued in place is in the wrong place, is the wrong part, or is just about to auto-destruct. Therefore when I build things I tend to make everything repairable - or as others might say, over complicated.

However with our Fun Cubs we just followed the instructions and glued the servos in place with cyano.

One of Flappit's aileron servos has got an intermittent problem. It sometimes works, and sometimes it just sits and does nowt. It probably needs a good clean out - but that would mean removing it - so I may as well just give it a new servo.

The servos are glued in to recesses on the wing undersides. The servos are on their sides. I can attack the glue around the servo with a scalpel or similar. The problem is the glue back face.

Can I dissolve the glue without dissolving the wing?

If not, can anyone suggest a suitable tool for hacking at the glue. I have tried to make an L-shaped piano wire 'knife' that I can slide down the servo edges and then rotate to attack the glue, but this was not a great success.

Do I just 'dismantle' the servo in place with a dremel? I don't fancy this. I can see myself causing too much collateral damage.

Plummet

Advert

Posted by ken anderson. on 08/10/2013 20:01:40:

hello plummet-sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do............................me I would go around the sides as you say and then yank out the servo......bet it comes out ok......

ken Anderson ne..1 .......yank dept...

Are you saying that I should get Flappit to do it?

P wink 2

Could you get a piece of wire behind the servo and heat it electrically, basically hot wire it out?

Either that or make some space around it and then twist until it lets go, don't forget you could take a chunk of foam out to make space and then glue it back in afterwards.

Shaunie.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 10/10/2013 09:23:59:

Once you do get the old servo out, don't use cyno to stick the new one in - I've had a couple of servo's electrics fail after using cyno around them or the plugs in an enclosed space. The cyno fumes don't do electrical connections any good.

I agree. I suspect that this may have caused the problem in the first place. "But the instructions said..."

Plummet