A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

I am still pushing on with my build, slow as i expected. I personally find this is the slowest part of the build process. Not boring, but slow, particularly as so much can depend on getting the detail right.

At the moment I have just finished the hinging process. This is a bit that I find can so easily go wrong, and have observed many models with less than good control set up, which hinging is an integral part.

People such as Ken and many other long term modellers, have their own favourites which are so second nature, that good out comes are standard. However many new modellers, find the process a challenge. So this is the one I use for small models.

I find that on small models that top hinging is the best. I have used the Cellotape, sometimes specific products are used within the Brand, such as Crystal tape. In my case I still top hinge, but use an old CL idea, called "Cloths Horse" or "Z" hinges. This was done with oil lamp wicks, stuck on with balsa cement. I use a more modern product, "Double Sided Tape".

hinge1.jpg

hinge2.jpg

The result is a slop free, accurately positioned moving surface.

To stop the tape sticking to those things which I do not want, I use Talcum powder.

I hope this does not come across as teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs. It is purely intended for beginners, as yet another method, in addition to the other methods.

I am now off to instal the tailplane servo, prior to the all important links to the servos.

Advert

image.jpgSome fantastic looking Pushy Cats here, I like your paint job Erfolg. I've grabbed a few minutes this evening and stuck a few bits together. I like to laminate 1/64" ply onto fuselage sides, it adds very little weight and makes the fus very resilient, so I've done it here. Also I've shortened the nose and reduced fuselage length behind the wing to bring the motor forward. As well as providing the different appearance I'm aiming for, this should more than offset any slight weight increase.

Colin, we are of the same opinion with respect to the use of ply. I used 1/32" ply, I considered 1/16", on the basis that the glue is probably as heavy as the ply.

I cut the back end back to the bulkhead for the motor mounting, on the basis that it would save weight, ease motor installation and aid cooling. I convinced myself, the aesthetics of the motor being on display was good as a bonus.

In my case the nose is per drawing, it seems I need the length as the Lipo is in the nose area. Although I have not done another balance check recently. I will be doing this again when all the linkages are complete and I switch out the 50 amp ESC for a 40.

I do approve of the ball peined hammer with a shaft of straight grained ash or hickory. Yeh! that is what real engineers use.smiley

We frequently think on similar lines Erfolg, perhaps it reflects how long we've been fiddling with model aeroplanes of one sort or another!

I thought seriously about leaving the motor out in the open, I agree that it would look rather good. In the end I decided to enclose it and will add some provision for air in and out, but it's a marginal decision. I asked a question early on about where batteries were finishing up and decided that my nose would still be long enough (fingers crossed)! However, moving the motor forward should help in this respect.

I'm glad you approve of my hammer, I've had it so long I can't remember where it came from. It's probably a hand-me-down, along with some of my other useful stuff. Sadly, I will never qualify as a real engineer, but in my peculiar fashion, I continue to persevere!!

I have flown a Pushy Cat for a few years now and can confirm they are tremendous fun.

My advice would be keep it light rather than adding bigger motors and batteries. This will help keep the speed up in the turns.

The underarm lob launch technique works very well and doesn't need a massive throw. However a word of warning, I received a very nasty cut on my litle finger due to being a bit casual and letting my arm trail after letting go of the model, rather than a continuous follow through so that fingers are well clear! Ouch!!

A little bit more progress, but it's come to an abrupt halt.

Had an idea for the motor, but messing around with the watt meter today, it's just not going to work. Looked at some other motors but I don't think they will fit inside the original fuselage. I've ordered a motor and will wait till it arrives as I may have to cut the rear end off and let it hang out in the wind. Only glued the wing on so far so not the end of the world.

Cheers,

Simon

image.jpgThis one is fairly quick to do, so I'm fitting it into odd minutes here and there? Here it is looking a bit rough at this stage, but it gives some idea of the non (fundamental) aerodynamic changes, which make it look a bit different. I've got a sort of De-Havilland "Super Venom" theme in mind! The nose is shorter by 86mm (3.25" and the tail end of the nacelle is 41mm (1.625" less, bringing the motor forward. Overall it's 130mm (4.875" less.

There's space in the nose for the Lipo to go right forward and with the forward shift of the motor, I don't expect any cg problems. I might do a bit of juggling with the detail of the boom and fin shapes, but they're only doodles on a very sound design which I don't want to spoil. I have beefed it up though, but the reduction in length should mean that overall the weight isn't significantly altered.

Time is tight right now with household responsibilities while my better half recovers from her recent surgery and I need to finish off the Seafang project, but I also needed to make a stsrt on this, so I image.jpghave.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 15/12/2013 09:27:11

Just wanted to make sure that the pictures came out ok. On the "Super Venom' theme, De-Havilland did actually plan such a thing for the Navy, the DH116, but like most things in those days, it went nowhere. However, it abandoned the twin booms for a conventional back end! The Pushy Cat is my opportunity for a fanciful idea of what a Super Venom might have been if stretched a bit, a little more wing sweep and perhaps a DH Gyron engine for a bit more thrust than the Ghost provided.

I hope fellow PC builders don't mind my messing about with it a bit!

I’m considering making a Pushy Cat and have been rooting around in the spare servo box and found a couple of Hitec HS-55 servos which are rated at 1.3Kg-cm. So I’m seeking advice as to their suitability, I ask because they are tiny 8 gram units so I’m wondering if the will be powerful enough. Any thoughts people?

I am pretty sure that they will be powerful enough. I am using 9g servos rated at 1.2 kg.

I do not know other peoples opinions, my own is that the very small servos weak point tends to be the resilience of the gear train. I have a number of Ripmax 100 servos, also very small, where I have not used other than in the smallest models, because of these fears, which may be prejudice.

New 9g servos are typically just a couple of pounds. In the recent past, job lot offers would have yo 5 or 10 for £10, from some suppliers. But as some will say, there are 9g and 9g servos. The prime difference seems to be the quality of the materials in the gear train.

You must have a go Dave, particularly that the official Christmas start date is upon us. I cannot testify to the flying qualities, I can say it is a well designed, economic on material build, with lots of opportunities to personalise the model. Just look at Colins Vampire. I considered a Fw Flitter, all achievable with little effort.