Wheels!!!!

As the title says wheels! Are they important? I was at a local flying field today and seen 2 wheels roll off at the end of the runway, made me think , how many of us check our wheel grommets ect before we fly? our undercarriage is sometimes under a lot of stress with vibration ect but most of us just check the main things like ailerons,elevator,rudder ect, why not wheels, both these wheels rolled off trainer aircraft so maybe it was just a newbie (not over tightening anything) thing. But it has got me thinking

AS I have said many times. The most useless piece of modelling hard ware is the wheel collet. One of our club members lost a wheel and smashed a plastic spat and ruined his day a couple of Sundays ago,

Still, it helped me fill a column!

Solder the wheels on and you will NEVER lose one. OR solder on a piece of brass tube that extends past the axle and drill it for a split pin.

Posted by will -0 on 18/10/2013 09:38:29:

Peter, would you care to share any tips on getting the solder to flow onto piano wire?

Easy. You need to clean the wire properly by sandpapering it.

YOu need plenty of heat. I have a 40 watt iron that works well with 8SWG wire but if you are going to buy an iron buy an even bigger one, I have an ancient 75Watt iron that also works very well and is better when soldering larger lumps of metal succh as two 8 SWG wires.

You need a good lead tin multicore solder and you can add some extra flux as well.

So those are the three things, Cleanliness, heat and solder and flux.

Put the wheel on, wrap the end of the axle with clean copper wire apply heat and solder. You can add a wassher between the wheel and wire if you want to be really classy.

Further to Peter's soldering suggestion I saw a 3/16th slot in the end of the wire, nip said end together at the tip, fill the gap with solder, then drill a pin sized hole in it...........put wheel on, add a washer, and pop a pin thru the hole and bend it. Again, you'll never lose that wheel.