Dylan's Dawn Flyer (normal Size)

Thanks to all for the replies. I must confess to having all but forgotten about the build article in the RCM&E since it is by necessity in a short magazine article short on detailed illustration of the sort one gets on a build blog, but it obviously has some very relevant nuggets of information, so I will re-read it.

Now here's what I imagine is a really dumb question, but try as I can, I cannot come up wit the answer.

I am now ready to start the left wing half. The plan shows the layout of the right wing half, but does not show the left, and the paper is too thick for it to show when the plan is turned over. Does one have to trace it onto say greaseproof paper and then invert? Surely this could lead to errors unless real care is taken?

What is the usual technique adopted?

I took mine down to my local print shop and got them to do a mirror image photocopy. Can't remember the exact cost, around 2 pounds.

If you can't find someone local who can do the whole sheet then you should be able to fit the wing onto a couple of sheets of a3 which most stationers should be able to do, then just sellotape them together. Do check the dimensions though incase the copier has not scaled exactly.

Andrew

Totaly agree.

<start rant> It is a right pain in the posterior,especially having paid for the plan, it just seems daft that we then have to trapse off and find somewhere to copy and pay some more. Would rather just pay a bit more in the first place and receive the complete product. As delivered there must be an arguement that it is not actually 'fit for purpose'.<end rant>

Understandable perhaps for the free plan.

Back to the topic, I took my df out again today, light northerly and she flys like she is on rails. Starting to get the feel for her now. It really is a great plane both to build and to fly.

Andrew

I did as Andrew suggested-2 A3 sheets for 80p, sellotaped together.

Phil, you are right that Lindsay states in the RCM&E article that it is possible to build over the plan in two parts. As an intellectual challenge, I have pondered over how this can be done but with my congenital absence of spatial awareness, I can't work it out. If one builds on the plan and then inverts it to add the wing tip to the other end, the aerofoil profile is under the wing rather than on top.

Not to labour the point too much, but if there is a simple way of doing it, it would be useful to those building the two halves of the wing in future.

This is to highlight what I did for the 2nd half of the wing, see the photo at the bottom with the text, on this model it's easy enough to do it this way, straight chord, flat bottom, equal rib spacing, no need to copy and reverse the plan really, but if you prefer it that way, go for it.

Posted by Dylan Reynolds on 08/11/2013 21:28:13:

Ok so wing tips were produced, for these I used the pin prick method and it worked quite well, thats another first for me

1450205_10151756951576274_1172353363_n.jpg

These had a 3x3mm strip glued to the outside edge which adds rigidity and strength.

Then I added all the upper and lower cap strips

1455139_10151756945811274_446266718_n.jpg

Then the spars were extended over the tips, upper and lower and sanded flush, I left the cap strip off this until it was done so the spar remains lower than the caps themselves. Again for some reason this pic is missing, for some reason everytime I upload 5 at a time one keeps disappearing lol.

And here we have one completed wing

1452309_10151757457521274_1305043160_n.jpg

And onto wing number 2...

1392913_10151757487466274_1353501390_n.jpg

With the second wing I am working directly over the plan again since the rib spacing is equal all the way down, just make sure the correct ribs are placed in their opposite position, keep the spars all flush the tip end which will now become the root and let the spars over run the other end to be trimmed off later.

I won't bore you with the details of the second wing build I will wait until we get to the wing joiner part, which hopefully will be tomorrow anyway.

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 26/11/2013 19:33:50

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 26/11/2013 19:34:19

Hi Dylan

I have been paralleling your progress with my 25% bigger version. I have now got to the point that ailerons need to be built and I can't decide if I should go solid or built up. The shaped tip part of the aileron needs some meat to allow for the shaping but going built up can keep the weight down. What do you think?

BTW, I like your glue choice. I went and bought some as well.....

Colin

cheers Tony, No problem John.

Hi Colin, hmmm, 25% bigger. I personally think you are getting into the realms of built up to save the weight and it would look so much better when covered with cap strips showing through the covering, if you go down the ribbed style built up that is. The tip can always be shaped using wider strip in that area with maybe a gusset to strengthen? Thats what I was thinking of doing for my 200% version, but I actually havn't gotten that far with that one yet lol.

Yeah, I have a draw full of lord knows how many glues, types, makes etc, but I always seem to come back to either Pink Zapp, or Titebond II, with a bit of epoxy thrown in for a bit of seasoning!

Love the stuff, apart from when you miss and stick yourself to the model lol

I'm actually further on than this, the wing is complete except the top decking, but with whats going on just not been able to do much recently. Things are calming down a bit now, so hopefully business as usual with shortly resume tea

I've just bought the plan for this and hoping to get started just before xmas im still thoroughly enjoying my rugged dc3 tri undercarriage and flying her in a nice gentle scale manner , theres nothing better than long approaches , the Dawn flyer looks a really nice , gentle aircraft and cant wait to see you're own flight review,

Kind Regards,

Scott

Hi Dylan,

VA has certain problems with selling his house, all packed up, chain broken, start from scratch. The house I wanted to buy is probably gone. So I will unpack some of the model stuff and go on with the Dawn Flyer. Wing is complete, just needs covering, stabiliser needs some shaping, fin is complete.

Main problem for me now is finding the tools in all the mess. Thought of some aluminium support for the pull-pull lever, but the lathe is in storage . Probably I take it out again,

Also I have some business trips on my list before Christmas. So you see your chances are good to finish first.

wish you all the best, not only for the build which you will do perfect as it looks, but also to find a proper job.

VA, from the airport.

VA - sorry to hear about the problems. My daughter had the same experience with it all falling through on the day she was due to move.

So perhaps by way of distraction....

I have come close to completing the wing, with the two halves now joined. I did a trial fit on the fuselage, and the wing will not fit onto its support on the fuselage. The gap on the fuselage is too small to accommodate the width of the root of the wing. I have double checked the fuselage and the wing on the plans, and they have been built accurately to the dimensions of the plan. The difference is only small, but if the front and rear formers (F2A and F5) for the cockpit also have to fit into the gap, there will be a significant discrepancy. Which brings me to my other query - I can't work out where these formers (F2A, F3 and F5) sit in relation to the wing and fuselage.

If you haven't already built this section, I would appreciate some close up pics as you go along.

have to say I prefer not getting the house I want against job-problems. The programmed moving date was the 21st of November, but it didn't happen. my buyer came already with several excuses why there is a delay. After more than 3 month waiting I lost my patience and put my house back on the market.

about the wing: the wing seating was too short - about 3mm. I didn't have the problem with the former as I tilted it when building the fuselage. The top bit of the fuselage I left - I will just finish that when the wing is on - so I can make also the cockpit part at the same time. cannot show pictures - I sit in Mons in a hotel

Friday I am back, then I can look into the subject closer.

VA

• 2 years later...