ESC and BEC with an older receiver

Hi,

I have an old Futaba FP R 1380F receiver that I am trying to use in an electric plane. I have a speed controller with BEC but cannot work out how to wire the thing up to the receiver to allow power to the electronics and throttle control too.

Power is on channel 8/b and throttle is on 3. How does this work? Do I need a newer model receiver?

thanks

Advert

Ther will be a lead with a servo type plug on it, this plugs into channel 3 (motor). If it is not a Futaba plug there will not be a locating lug and so will fit either correctly or upside down. No damage will be done if upside down but it will not power the Rx. so turn the other way. The signal wire ,colours vary should usually be towards the top of the Rx case. Futaba usually require the servo function on channel 3 to be reversed to work correctly (via Tx menu). Hope this makes sense. I think the Rx is a 138 not 1380.

John

Posted by John Tee on 18/10/2013 23:01:12:

I think the Rx is a 138 not 1380.

Probably a 138DF, rather than 1380F that Mark initially stated.

The '8' identifies it as 8 channel, The 'D' as dual-conversion and the 'F' as FM - really meaning PPM as opposed to PCM (which is also actually FM, but hey, I didn't invent the terminology!)

Make sure you do a thorough range check Mark.....electric models & 35MHz can be a problem (note the word can there...wink 2). I have electric models I've successfully flown on 35MHz (with that very receiver in fact) & some that just glitch horribly on 35MHz whatever I tried. It seems to be a bit of a lottery.....sometimes the only cure is a switch to 2.4GHz R/C

Good luck.....