An EDF Buccaneer?

Simon Chaddock

Electrifier built a superb 52" Depron scale pusher Buccaneer.

I commented that in Depron it would make a nice 'light' EDF particularly the S2 version which had much more substantial intakes.

On my Fairey FD2 I put its 55mm EDF right at the back so there was no exhaust tube and the exit was the fan swept area.

EDF at the rear

This allowed the rest of the duct, including the scale inlets, to be about 20% greater in area with hopefully a corresponding reduction in duct losses.

It does of course mean the plane is rather large for the power installed hence the need for a seriously lightweight construction.

Could the same technique be used on a Buccaneer?

With its jets mounted in the wing root the EDFs would not be so far back as in the FD2 making it easier to 'balance' them with the battery and the ducts would be a bit shorter. The inlets certainly have a bigger area than the exhaust.

So using a 55mm EDF in a scale exhaust just how big would a Buccaneer be?

After a quick scaling exercise the answer came out at 56" span. Perhaps even more important each inlet would be almost twice the FSA.

I would set a target of 36oz all up (twice the FD2) with a 3000mAh 3s.

If I proceed (and its a big if) it would be quite a bit bigger overall (although not in span) and certainly heavier than any of my other Depron planes.

I will have to think long and hard about this.

• 3 months later...

Hi Simon,

I tried a similar concept with a Bucc some years ago **LINK**. Unfortunately it was way underpowered on a pair of old GWS 50mm fans. I used a horizontal crutch method of build with the fans situated as you suggest at the rear of the ducts which did make things easier for adjusting the balance point. Food for thought anyway.

Adrian