Which trainer?

mervyn robb

HI Jez saw your mention of the Glasair in another thread about flying aids. You seem keen on the Sportsman and I am leaning that way too. It seems to come with the DX4i radio - this is 4 channel isnt it and is that a drawback as I see people recommending the DX6i. What do you feel about that? You seem completely satisfied with this model, would this be true to say?

merv

Hi Mervyn

The Glasair does come with a Dx4 transmitter, this is a basic radio that is to say it is not computerised. If you like the idea of the glasair or the similar models that come with 4ch basic radios then this is fine to start with as long as you are prepared to buy another radio when you progress to other models as i think you, like any other, will outgrow a non computerised tx once you have got to the point of building/flying other models. The available features that a computer radio offers these days makes them to hard to resist, however if you are just starting out and you want to make life simple for yourself there is a lot to be said for the type of packages being offered, particularly if you a more interested in getting on with learning to fly rather than a lot of fiddling around setting up computer radios and matching motors to esc's and batteries and choosing servo types etc. All the component matching will have been done for you with the glasair and discovery type packages and you can concentrate on flying and this is likely to give you time to choose better a radio to last you many years that will meet your future model needs and be able to make your own informed decision. If you enjoy building and getting stuck in to the technical side of things then why not build up your model from a trainer kit and choose a future proof 7ch(+)radio and enlist some help along the way (from your club/and or this forum etc) for the bits you get stuck on, but the all in one packages you are looking at offer very good value for money as learning aircraft and literally all you will need to add to them are a couple of spare lipo batteries to take to the field to give you more time in the air. The bixler model you mention in another thread is quite a stable plane and a few people use these as beginner/trainer planes and they are found for sale on the hobbyking website. Having the motor mounted above the rear of the wings gives you a bit of an advantage when it comes to accidently nosing in to the ground as you wont damage the motor, snap the prop or the motor mount which are the most typical outcomes of hard landings and "early" arrivals.

Hope this helps

Oh something else you might want to bear in mind Merv, whatever tx you wind up using, if you want to connect via a buddy lead to someone at your flying club for learning you will need to have the same make to be able to connect up. The 4 ch spectrum Dx4 has the buddy lead output to enable it to be buddied with any other spectrum tx

Hi Rob thanks for that. Yes I think at my stage I am impetuous to get going and get stuck in to something. Looking at the prices of transmitters it does not seem a massivie outlay in the grand scheme of things to buy the likes of a DX6i later if I fancy getting going now on the likes of the Glasair Sportsman. Must admit from reading about it and watching utube videos it seems an appropriate model to consider. Also it comes complete with everything I need which is a great boon when i know nothing as they say.

Meeting my experienced club contact today to advance further. A lot of you guys seem to chat during the day - do I take it that some of you like myself are retired?

Thanks for help

merv

Merv

Thats the way i see it, there are many ways and places to buy new modeling equipment now and at way more attractive prices than it used to be, i think the packages you are looking at will serve you well by the sounds of what your needs are. I bought (or i told my wife to by me for my birthday!) a hobbyzone super cub (no ailerons)that came with the Dx4 tx and taught myself to fly. I used the same tx to bind to a hobbyzone bind and fly aeronica champ (about 500mm span) that i used to practice at a local park and now fly a hobbyking axn floater jet (similar to the bixler you spoke of) with a self levelling 3 axis gyro fitted.

In my case Merv i am far from retired, but i have my own business and some days i work from home such as today and i can allow myself the luxury to be distracted now and again!

Happy flying

The joys of your own business! I had one too and it has its advantages and drawbacks.

I live in an apartment and space is very limited. My wife says 'and where do you think you're going to keep that?'

I see Jez you are a Glasair owner - tell me is it easy to remove the wings for storage purposes. This is a major issue for me because if you can't I may take up paper gliders instead!

merv

Hi Merv, yes wing is easily removed, struts are on a ball joint(a slight twist and pull) six bands and then two plug in connectors for ailerons, leads are a little short and fiddly but wings can be removed or fitted in a couple of minutes.

The Glasair is really stable and docile to fly even with the stabilization turned off, sounds positively boring compared with the Riot and Wot 4, also watched Apprentice on utube with SAFE system, not sure you would need to get in to situations like just yet !.I have not experienced flying anything else yet so guess I have that to look forward too, the plane gives me a lot of thinking time so hope it is allowing me to hone my skills so when I get into difficulties in the future I will deal with them successfully ! All the best Jez

Hi Jez. Unfortunately didnt meet mentor today as turned out a bit windy.

However, I am greatly encouraged by your experience of the Sportsman and I think I have researched enough now to make my own mind up and go for it as a good starting point. I know it uses the DX4i but sure cant I upgrade later if I have to. I also like the way everything is in the box!

Glad it can be dismantled as storage is a real issue. If left full size either it leaves or the wife does!

Also the Sportsman is immediately available. Should I order a spare battery?

The Riot or Wot 4 can come later. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks Jez for your advice

All the best

merv

Merv, me again had not noticed your earlier post to me, yes I am very happy with my Glasair but it is all I have known ! As for radio l bought a Futaba 6 channel 2.4 FASST system a couple of years ago and not used it yet, have also bought a number of aircraft, bought the Glasair to get me kick started and get me off the fence so to speak and its worked for me, so now getting all the flying time I can get to get good enough to fly something more advanced. The Glasair is enough for me at the moment, heart still pounding on take off and really enjoy and look forward to flying it,every time I go out I learn something new, I may be picking up some bad habits going it alone but did not like the idea of a club,guess I don't like to confirm and don't like rules but I believe I am flying safe, I am definitely enjoying the experience. All the best Jez

Merv, I would definitely say order 2 spare batteries, but don't order them as hobbyzone spare parts. They cost a fortune that way. You should be able to get them from a few suppliers for less than 10 pounds each, one of them being hobbyking. Just make sure that if it comes with a different plug to get sn adapter to an ec3 connector that I believe the glasair uses.you will be able to charge these with the charger thst comes with the plane. Just order the same capacity and cell count/voltage

Thanks Rob. Am contacting my local supplier today about the Sportsman but Horizon say it is in stock so should have soon. Pity the weather is taking on a brass monkey feel.

Hope I am making the right decision. From what you guys tell me there are no rights and wrongs so hopefully I will enjoy it. I have a review of it and it is very favourable. Will publish the link here

Speak soon

Thanks again

Merv

Peter - reference your beginner friend with the Apprentice, I have decided after much soul searching and advice from yourselves to go for the Glasair Sportsman if I can't have the Apprentice. I am ready to order so would it asking too much for you to try to find out if your friends model is the SAFE VERSION which is brand new technology I gather. If this is putting unfair pressure on you just say so and I won't be offended.

I am looking forward to getting my order in soon - for something!

Regards

MERV

Hi merv
The dx4i definitely has a buddy socket on the rearof the case. This is also in the user manual. If you look on the hobbyzone website there is a downloadable user manual for the dx4i you can look at that explains the use of the trainer port.