Which trainer?

mervyn robb

Hi Mervyn

I am a returning modeller with only prior free flight experience. As 'old dogs' take a while to pick things up I expected a long haul to my 'A'

Joined a club [WMAC] Sept 2012 and passed my 'A' in August this year cheeky

Following advice from club seniors I went for a Calmato high wing, which I converted to electric, solid plane and a brilliant stable trainer. I needed plenty of 'stick time' and purchased a WOT4 foamie [spent 3 weeks up a tree sad] and then got a Riot so I could fly in the local parks.

WOT4 Foamie & RIOT very similar but I found the Riot slightly better in wind [we get a lot]

I found once I had the electrics sorted it was very easy and now I've converted the Calmato to IC so I can extend my knowledge in that area. In my case repetition is the key.

I suspect most high wing trainers will do the job but this is what worked for me.

Best of luck.

Martin

Hi Merv, yes you will need a screwdriver, a Pz 0 to be precise and being magnetic is a help ! My eye site is not brilliant but there not to bad but do not over tighten them. You will be removing the nose cowl after a heavy landing to straighten nose wheel leg, safer to remove to straighten , you won't risk damaging any other components doing it this way. I have a small collection of tools just for my model aircraft, a small vice is always handy too, to hold that nose leg.

The charger that comes with the Glasair does the job very well, I usually charge the battery when driving, placing it in a baking tray but a proper lipo bag as Rob says would be safer. The charger balance charges the 3s cell and switches off( stops charging) indicated with a solid red LED (flashing when charging).Follow all the safety rules with lipos, they are perfectly safe if treated as advised.

I have bought an Acucell6 charger for future use,I think this is one of the best value cheaper chargers at present time and have some advanced features with a simple to use menu.

If you read through the hand book its fairly well explained, I did struggle with some off the set up procedures but persevere and it will become clear, don't lose the bind plug like I did, put it somewhere safe(like I did !). Any problems please ask and I will help were I can, if I can't someone else will be here I am sure. A T B Jez

Thanks Rob you're full of useful tips. Will read all those links shortly.

I notice the instructions say it takes an hour to charge the lipo but after 10 mins mine stopped flashing indicating full charge. I wonder could it be partially charged already? Unlikely I would have thought! Feels quite a cheap charger - not good contact with the car socket. Anyway will ask Jez about his experience.

Wings held on by stout elastic bands, Im sure they'll not last. I asked Horizon about that and they say I can order spares. They're not like the ones you would buy in your local stationery shop, they're quite hefty.

Anyway must move to next step, attaching the battery. I must admit Im a little concerned about the short charging time in case I have only a very low charge. I suppose the wise thing to do would be to put in back on the charger for a while and see what happens.

Bye for now

merv

Dont worry merv, it shouldn't take much more than an hour to charge, but your suspicions were right, they don't come "flat" . They come to you with a partial "storage" charge. Somewhere between low charge and a full charge.This is another usefull function of a more upmarket charger in that it will have a storage charge function for when there are long periods when the batteries are not being used as it is said that they don't respond well to being left for long periods fully charged.
Your right, it is a bit of a cheapy the supplied charger but it will be okay to get you through your initial ventures

Merv, lipos should never be fully discharged they don't like that state they die I believe !, fully charged they are 3.7 v /cell, hence your 3s total of 11.1v, the aircraft has a low voltage cutoff built into ESC and will pulse on the motor when you get near this voltage(page 9) not sure what this voltage is probably around 2.7v can't remember exactly but think I read that some where, someone can correct me if I am wrong. They should not fall below 3v during storage hence it would have arrived to you with at least this minimum charge.l have never had to charge for an hour, maybe 30 40 minutes or so at most. Jez

Also elastic bands are OK, I have used a total of 6 as per destructions, lost one but there were spares with mine. I do take them off between flights, not sure if you need to but think it will help keep elasticity and the fuselage were the wing is held distorted a little left under pressure only slightly so nothing to worry about. Jez

Edited By Jez Saunders on 08/11/2013 17:25:16

Try an " ARISING STAR "they not bad and can take a fair amount of stick if that's the word to use I have had many heavy landing ,dead sticked into a ploughed field etc the only thing I noticed was the nose wheel like most trick under carts tends to bend back ,but not a prob just bend it back again .not bad for £65 and didn't take long to put to gether it is a nearly ready to fly ..with trainers it's swings and rounderboughts really some like tail draggers others like trike .any way good luck face 1

Jez - I have followed the instructions to the letter (I think) with regards to installing the battery. What we sticky strap is a nuisance. can't figure out it works if you put the strap through the loop(hole)

As instructed I powered the transmitter, checked the mode and that the throttle lever and trim were fully back towards me as the picture shows. When I connect the battery and hold everything still for 5 secs, I get this musical pinging. The book says this happens when the throttle is fully open. As far as I am concerned it is closed so why the pinging. Jez you're probably the only one with Sportsman experience who might help on this.

merv

Hi martin, welcome to this thread?
I was just reading your post. I notice that you say you got a riot to fly in parks, im interested to get your veiw on why theriot was a good planefor park use. I have heard that the riot and wot 4 were quite similar.

Merv,have you done the binding, transmitter to receiver ? Had to do mine ? The battery should have the Velcro strip stuck to it, comes in parts bag.I loop that strap though the the eye in the strap then pinch it tight under the battery hatch. When you have established center of gravity cut a piece of foam to fit space in front of battery,it will help protect battery in heavy landings and make it easy to establish c of g every time in the future. I will get back to you on arming the ESC in a bit, will get the plane and run through eactly what it does to refresh my memory ,just have to cook my tea. Won't be long. Jez

Merv, switch on transmitter with throttle down,inc throttle trim. With model on its back connect battery not disturbing model after connection, control surfaces will twitch followed by 4 tones, control surfaces will level followed by 3 higher pitch tones, let me know how you get on. Becarefull of prop,keep everyone,pets etc well clear in some ways I think an electric motor is less forgiving than an I C engine at least the I C will stall an electric won't !.. Jez

Good luck Mervyn, there is so much to learn, It took me a couple of Lipos to understand them fully.

My simple set are:

1. Get as good a charger as you can afford
  2. I only charge at 1C - I know you may do more but I find that really easy
  3. Don't leave fully charged for extended periods - use a charger with a discharge facility/ sometimes called storage
  4. Electric props can bite! Take very clear steps to 'arm' the plane. I use a DX8 and always have one switch [gear] that disables the motor.

Then enjoy.thumbs up

Posted by Rob43 on 08/11/2013 19:08:48:
Hi martin, welcome to this thread?
I was just reading your post. I notice that you say you got a riot to fly in parks, im interested to get your veiw on why theriot was a good planefor park use. I have heard that the riot and wot 4 were quite similar.

Hi Rob

I had the WOT4 foamie 1st and was pretty cheesed off when a gust of wind and my slow reactions put it in the top of a tree. I tried but could not get it down and emotionally wrote it off. That was when I purchased the Riot as I was told it is good in wind.

We get quite a bit of wind and I knew I just has to learn to cope with it.

Both are great flyers [set on low rates initially] I felt the Riot was a bit more stable. I went with the 3C 2200 lipos and got 8-10 mins each flight. I was doing circuits & bumps plus figure of eights initially and it was really great. When I started to bring the plane home each time my confidence went right up.

My Riot now does Cuban 8's and I'm getting much better at knife edge and just trying inverted [at height!!]

So both great planes and highly recommended.

Oh and I did get the foamie back, battered with a dead lipo but still flying great

Hi again martin
Thanks for that, I fly in a large nearby park, my aim is to join a club and fly ic planes but its difficult for me to find the time as my nearest club is over 25 miles away so i go to my local park at times when its deserted, we get quite a bit of wind here too and I was doing a lot of park flying with a 500mm span hz champ and while this is ideal park size as you would guess it can't handle much wind. I wanted to get something a bit bigger for the park but found its difficult to get the right balance, too small and it wont take the wind and too big it will be harder to contain it within the park. I settled on an hobby king axn which is not bad In the wind as it happens but I may have to take a second look at the riot, I read the review for it andddecided it probably wouldn't be any good fora park, good to get your take on it. Thanks

HI Jez.

Switched on transmitter and zeroed the throttle and trim i.e. pulled them both towards me as far as they would go. Then connected the battery (footery enough) and immediately got 4 tones, one high one and 3 lower ones the same. All I saw twitch was the prop. Maybe the control surfaces did too but didn't notice. Is that it armed. It says any throttle movement after this will move the prop. When I move the throttle lever nothing happens. I assume the throttle lever is the same one as for the ailerons?

What is this binding procedure ?

merv

HI again Jez. Panic over. You hit the nail on the head with binding. Worked a treat, got the prop flying round without losing a finger.

I assume that only has to be done once?

Each time I install the battery everything should work, is that correct without any more messing  around?

Many thanks for your help

merv

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/11/2013 21:09:27

Yes merv
Once you have bound your reciever to your transmitter then you shouldn't normally have to rebind. You should now be able to switch on your tx and connect your battery to the rx in the plane and you should have a led light on the rx, this will stay solidly lit indicating that it is bound correctly