Which trainer?

mervyn robb

As an alarm something like this would do it...it connects to your Lipos balance lead (the one with the small white plug) & screeches if the voltage of any one cell drops too far......but do you need it? As someone mentioned the ESC will usually let you know if the battery is running low by cutting the power to the motor usually.....& if you leave the battery connected & the model is in the garage/shed/spare room would you hear the alarm??

Always remove the battery from the model at the end of a flying session...then you KNOW its not still connected!!

On the mismatched plugs etc then replacing either the ESC or battery plug to match is the best idea but if you don't fancy the idea of soldering (which is fair enough) then these fine chaps would probably make you a "converter lead" to switch between EC3s & XT60's if you ask nicely....teeth 2

Advert

Merv, they are way less than half price, don't forget that hobbyking price all thier stuff in dollars, they shouldn't come out at any more than about ?7.50, obviously before shipping. They also sell an equivalent lipo made by Zippy thats less than $7 ! I have never used this brand but I have heard plenty of people reporting good things eg reliable, long life etc

Hi Merv

The nano tech battery does not come with the same connector (EC3) as your glasair does. The nano tech turigy you were looking at certainly does come with an XT60 connector as does the Turnigy battery i sent you a link to and also the zippy battery that i mentioned earlier comes with the XT60 for that matter. You can see in the photo the connector is yellow and if you look at the specs on the web page it says its fitted with an X60 connector, i cant seem to find any on the HK site fitted with EC3 connectors.

The nano tech battery is supposed to be superior to the normal turnigy battery but i got 4 1300mAh 3S batteries and 2 2200 mAh 3S batteries and never had any problems with them at all, all being the cheaper turnigy range.

The relevence of the 20C is the battery's discharge rate, 20. This means in this case the battery can be discharged 20 times faster than its capacity. The C rating requirement for your battery will be dependant on the amount of current the motor/servos/esc etc are drawing from it. In this case your glasair will be fine with any 20c rated battery, you can buy a battery with a higher C rating, it has no downside exept it will usually be a little more expensive.

By the way in case you hadnt already guessed the 3s denotes how many cells the battery comprises of and 1300mAh is the battery's capacity. (measured in mili amp hours) You might see this as an amp hour and would therefore be written as 1.3 Ah but means the same thing.

I understand your loathness to start changing connectors but you might consider buying a couple of the turnigy or zippy batteries and some EC3 connectors at the same time and maybe your mentor friend would cut off the XT60 plugs off the new batteries and solder on the EC3's that match your plane. I wouldnt take the EC3 off your plane in case you had an issue regarding the warranty.

Alternativly you could try doing a web search and try finding batteries with an EC3 connector hopefully at a reasonable price. If i see anything i will let you know, otherwise you would have to buy one of the adaptors.

The same thing happened to me when i accidently punctured the lipo on my Hobbyzone supercub,when i saw how much the Hobbyzone spare part is (exactly the same part number as yours) i nearly fainted! so i bought the turnigy batteries and then cut the EC3 off the reciever and soldered on a XT60 but then my plane was so battered and glued back together by then there was never going to be any warranty claims!

Oh the only other consideration i would give is to the physical dimensions of the battery just to check it will still fit in your battery bay, but batteries of the same capacity tend to be of very similar size. HK als list the dimensions in thier specs list.

Hope this is helping you!

Hi Rob thats very comprehensive. Sounds like I'd be silly to pay £35 for an original lipo for the sake of a few connectors which as you say some friend would solder on for me. Thinl I'll go ahead and order a few Nano tach ones. Are you saying the link you sent me is the exact battery I need?

I have already checked and the batteries are very similar in size. 70mm long

thanks again

merv

PS another lovely day today and another day missed due to some idiot wrecking his battery!

Hi

Merv, this is right battery in turnigy nano tech **LINK** and this link is the UK warehouse

This is the turnigy std lipo **LINK**

also in the UK warehouse

and the zippy battery **LINK**

all replace your original and all with Xt60 connector

The adaptor that you can use with no soldering, just plug in both ends is this **LINK** that paul spoke of, but if you look its on back order and only now showing in the global site so you couldnt order even at the same time.

I also found this pack of 4 adaptors, the one you want is the top left in the picture **LINK**

You need male XT60 to female EC3 if you want to do a web search.

Or buy these at the same time and get someone to help solder them on, its really only a few minutes work.**LINK**

Ok, i have charged my batteries and im going flying now!

Merv just seen your last post, the adaptor is the easiest but it might take up a bit more space with the wire etc but the one i sent you a link with the four in a pack is the neatest solution. if you want to order everything from the same place and you dont mind pestering someone for the soldering i would just do that. Me ? I would just buy the ec3 connectors and solder them on to the new batteries.

Hey I think that is great help Derek, that should get Merv in the air a bit quicker. Things like that go a long way to help people sticking with this.
Your right Merv, this is a great sight, I got plenty of help when I got stuck on things from other members here. I look forward to hearing about
Your first outings with your glasair.

I noticed the day after I left the battery connected to the plane overnight that the ailerons and elevator were at maximum settings. The rudder was at neutral however. I am sure before the battery drained that the control surfaces were at neutral but can't be 100% sure. Does this make any sense?

Just wondering. I suppose I don't force any controls back to neutral as this might damage the servos?

merv

I wouldn't be concerned about it, they may have moved as the battery ran down or as a result of the stabilization depending on the angle the pkane was left at. All will return to normal when your transmitter is turned on and you connect a lipo to the plane again. I wouldn't try to force back the control surfaces and there isn't any need to.