Which trainer?

mervyn robb

I see the s15e Eflite Apprentice is readily available from USA through ebay. Its price is £185 plus £30 delivery. Then there are import duties, presumably VAT which would bring the cost to about £260 delivered which is much about the UK price which is about £250.

Do you see anything wrong with buying from the States - warranty possibly?

I bought a telescopic rifle sight recently from America through ebay and everything went like clockwork.

Time to forget planes and go for a kip!

merv

Merv, think you have ordered the right plane, the hundred or so quid and possible hassle you have saved will go a long way to a six channel + computer radio in the future. That's not to say the the Dx4e is a bad radio, it is a basic simple to set up and it is more than adequate to use on future 4 channel models. I have found it easy to use with impressive performance. Think you are going to have a lot of fun with this setup, let us know how you get on, hope there's calm weather for you the weekend !. ATB Jez.

Thanks Jez for the encouragement to go for this model. I know if the Apprentice had been available in the UK now I would have gone for it, mind you at £100 dearer. As I said above I could get it is USA but chickened out for various reasons and anyway would rather give the business to a UK company.

The Model World report was very flattering so I'm sure I've made the right decision - my mentor agrees. Horizon have also confirmed you can buddy with it after initially having told my local dealer here you couldn't.

On balance I think the likes of the Riot and WOT 4 might be something to relish for the future when I have more experience. Will certainly report in after first flight - or prang as the case may be! My mentor is going to buddy me so may save me some red faces.

Must just mention I was at the Southport Airshow in September and there were some fantastic models there. In fact this was a major kick start for me into aeromodelling.

All the best

Merv

Hi Gary
That would depend a lot on what you are looking for, whether you want to fly electric or ic, I have never flown a wot 4 but foam electric planes will usually be lighter than an ic power trad balsa plane and therefore will tolerate less wind, on the other hand a lighter model is will be able to fly slower.

HI Rob no it hasn't. should be here tomorrow Monday. I'm sure I will have some queries.

I live in Northern Ireland about 10 miles south of Belfast. Yes they say we are in a windy location here - thats why we have so many good golfers! Mind you they're having mixed fortunes at the moment.

Will let you know when it arrives

Thanks for asking

Merv

Hi Derek nice to speak. I have joined Banbridge as it is just up the road from me at Hillsborough. I am an absolute novice and am waiting on my first plane. Got lots of help from the guys here on the forum who seem very keen to help.

I think Banbridge is not a big club but as I am retired, weekday daytime flying suits me nicely. The big noise there who helps learners IS Dennis McNeil and he is also retired. He is going to help me and can 'buddy' so that will be useful. Must come and have a look at Nutt's corner. As you say well named.

regards

merv

Well eventually got the box opened and have done some basic assembly - elevator, undercarriage etc. I am getting irate about stupidly small screws which I have difficulty finding a screwdriver small enough to fit. I think such frustration harms the image of the model and to make matters worse there are two screws short. Jez did you find this problem.

Not familiar with some of the terminology so time to contact my club guru.

Maybe this is normal but I'm surprised there is only an in-car 12v charger.

Hi merv
I thought there might have been provided with your model a suitable screwdriver, hobbyzone are known to be quite thorough with these small details, they do with other aircraft kits but it doesn't follow they do this with all of them. Jez as you ask him will put you right as he bought a glasair like yours but don't worry too much, you will need to collect a few screwdrivers and other tools if you are going to fly model aircraft, if you get this plane up and back down again then its likely you will want to fly other planes and this will mean building up a toolkit to service your growing fleet. For now just get yourself one of those little "jewellers" screwdriver sets you get for a few pounds or less typically in pound shops. As I understand it the glasair may just be supplied with a cigarette lighter charger, though I know hobbyzone supplies the supercub with a mains adapter to plug into the cigarette lighter plug on the charger. Dont get to hung up on this as it is convenient to charge from your car, however, don't underestimate all the warnings about charging lipo batteries. They can catch fire so WATCH your battery as it charges, the supplied charger is safe but very basic so won't give you any charging information apart from charging and charged. In the future you can look in to a computer controlled charger that will benefit you when you have more batteries/planes but for now I would recommendyou pick up a lipo charging bag, not very expensive but if your unlucky and a battery ignites while charging it will save your car/home

Hi Rob I love your statement 'if you get this plane up and back down again' - theres one thing sure it will definitely come down one way or an other! I was just letting off about the fine details e.g. tiny screws, how they are so irksome. Yes of course we all have loads of screwdrivers all shapes and sizes but rarely that small. They're normally used in spectacles not in objects that could come crashing to earth!

Anyway gripe over.

That's a bit scary about the battery tendency to overheat. The car only charge facility is a bit of a nuisance also as the charging only works if the ignition is activated or the key is at the accessory setting. Sitting in the car outside the house for an hour while the battery charges seems a little primitive. Your point is heeded.

I'm exaggerating about the terminology - terms like trim I will have to get used to. Also this little phrase from the section on installing the battery makes my eyes water 'LOWER THE THROTTLE AND THROTTLE TRIM, THEN POWER ON …………..ETC. Not sure, yet, what the first 6 words mean!

All good fun and thanks for your advice

regards

merv

Right enough merv, learning all this stuff is part of the fun, ha ha is see what you mean about what i said about getting the plane up and down.

I get your point about charging with your car, although i do it all the time with using a fireproof lipo charge bag so although i keep an eye on it i am not watching it all the time and i charge it with the battery outside of the car, but if i ever charge a lipo without using the fireproof bag i wont let it out of my sight and just touch it now and again to make sure its not getting hot.

I appreciate having to turn on your ignition is an added pain so you might make use of this **LINK** and plenty more stores stock this such as wheelspin models etc

however for not a lot more you can buy a lipo charger that will charge many different sizes and voltage lipo batteries as well as just about every other battery type though most (but not all) need a 12v power supply, either your car battery or an ac power supply.

I use one of these **LINK** connected to my car battery

with the lipo safe bag **LINK**

and you might be able to make use of one of these, also very cheap but simple to use and very helpful **LINK**

This is a battery alarm that plugs in to your battery balance plug, plug it in when you fit your battery and connect it up ready to fly then before the battery runs dangerously low an alarm sounds that is loud enough to be heard from the plane, the alarm will sound before the low voltage cut off cuts the power to your motor giving you time to make a couple of approaches to land.

I know you were just giving an example but the instruction of lowering your throttle etc would have been better put as set the throttle stick and the throttle trim on your transmitter to the minimum position before connecting the battery to the planes receiver. This is to prevent any possible unexpected start up of the motor on the plane.

Hope you have some nice calm weather to fly your new plane, let me know how you get on with it, im sure jez has lots of glasair specific hints and tips for you as he has flown his quite a few times by the sounds of it.

I got a chance at last here to fly my HK axn again in between all the stong winds we have had here in scotland!

Happy flying