'Latest Forum Posts' box upgrade

Pete B

Thanks to the efforts of Chris Bott and the forum techies, those of us who have the 'Default to last page' set when opening a thread will now find that this also works when clicking on a post in the box on the right-hand side of the page.

OK, it's not earth-shattering but sometimes we have to be thankful for small mercies....smile

Pete

Advert

Funnily enough, I'd only noticed in the last couple of days that opening a thread from the right-hand box didn't take me to the final page! Not that I often use that right-hand box because I nearly always use the 'Latest Posts' link which gives me the same posts list in the main body of the page.

Now a really useful enhancement would be the ability to be taken to the first un-read post on a thread rather than to the top of the final page of the thread. So if I clicked on a thread I last viewed yesterday I would be taken to the first post on it that had appeared since my previous visit. And closely related to that, the ability to list threads that have had new postings since I last viewed that thread.

Posted by John Privett on 29/10/2013 21:41:12:

Now a really useful enhancement would be the ability to be taken to the first un-read post on a thread rather than to the top of the final page of the thread. So if I clicked on a thread I last viewed yesterday I would be taken to the first post on it that had appeared since my previous visit. And closely related to that, the ability to list threads that have had new postings since I last viewed that thread.

I'll have some of whatever you're on, John - even though it is probably illegal!smile pteeth 2

Pete

Posted by John Privett on 29/10/2013 21:41:12:

Now that would be useful but not trivial to do.......

Good news about going to the last post in a thread from the right side Latest Post Box, that is very handy

Posted by John Privett on 30/10/2013 21:45:55:

Why? Other forums do it.

I agree with your suggestion John, and in an ideal world we would have such a facility here, along with many other enhanced features. However, as you well know, this forum's architecture is from an earlier time and the technical scope for improvement is limited. The price of a new, all singing and dancing forum would probably be the loss of much or all of the archive, as I understand it, and that is unthinkable.

Other forums have threads that frequently descend into personal insults and slanging matches or have threads hundreds of pages long, largely filled with dross. Because they do it, should we too?smile

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 31/10/2013 09:58:55:
Posted by John Privett on 30/10/2013 21:45:55:

Why? Other forums do it.

Because they do it, should we too?smile

Pete

yes

No thank you, spot on Pete, I do use other sites when I can not get answers on this one.

Navigation problems, I tend to over look or subconsciously make allowances for as I go along.

My only problem is speed, I hope the new system I am having built will help me there with all the sites I visit.

This is my point of view only, as for speed here the last week no problems.

David (Famous last words Dep)

There are plenty of things that would be nice and I could go to forums that have all those things and still find plenty of issues with the functionality.

The real quality of this forum is in the human manner of it's existence; how it's moderated and how the contributors behave.

Ian