Will a futaba 9c module work in a 9z

Advert

I'd taken this question to be about a 35 MHz module - I believe the modules specified originally were different but I have no idea what would happen if you tried using a 9C one in a 9Z.

I suspect, but can't guarantee, that Futaba would have made modules physically different if there was any danger of damaging circuitry if an incompatible combination was tried...?

Perhaps an enquiry to Ripmax would be best?

I'm afraid this doesn't look terribly encouraging but it is from the US site so there may be a difference with 35 MHz equipment. I'd still recommend dropping a quick email to Ripmax though.

Why are there different modules for the 9Z and the 8U? Can I use my 9Z module in my 8?

The TK module, which is designed specifically for the 9V and 9Z models, is not intended as a replacement for the TP module. The TP module, which is used in the 5U, 7U and 8U radios, may NOT be used in the 9 channel radios in place of the TK module.

The FUTL8900 TK-FSS 9Z SYNTHESIZED TX MOD is a synthesized frequency module compatible only with the 9Z.

The FUTL8910 9C/9CS SYNTHESIZED TX MOD is the synthesized frequency module that is for the 5U, 7U, 8U, and 9C series of transmitters.

If the module you have has two dials to allow you to select channel number then it is compatible with both the 9c and the 9Z, I have both radios and when I last used 35mhz before 2.4 was available I had a synth. module which worked in both Just a word of caution the early Futaba synth. modules were not very good and earned the nickname of dial a crash, the later versions were fine.

• 1 month later...

I know this is old and probably solved now, but for others who may find themselves asking the same question "is my 9c module compatible with my 9z?":

First off Futaba do say "You can use your 9Z module in your 9c, but you can't use your 9C module in your 9Z"

However....

The circuit diagrams are functionally identical, although some components in the 9Z module appear to be of better quality. Also having put my 9C module in my 9Z and analysed the output, there does not appear to be a difference. Further, followng that I flew with my 9C module in my 9Z for 2 years without an issue.

So from my experience, yep, you can use your 9C in your 9Z, despite what Futaba say. Although I haven't looked into it, I wonder whether the reason Futaba say you can't is down to a certification issue given the relative ages of the two sets. If this is the case, although technically illegal, using a 9C module in a 9Z would be perfectly safe.

As a new Futaba 9Z owner you may also find my service and repair manual useful as it explains all the hacks and service procedures for this radio (as well as the above). Download it from my site here:

www.jamesandtracy.co.uk - RC guides

Edited By James Y on 20/12/2013 08:32:28

Edited By James Y on 20/12/2013 09:09:34