Mick Reeves 80" Hurricane

i acquired an old Mick reeves 80" hurricane a couple of weeks back now and have been thinking about the best way to tackle it.

the fuselage has been built up but will need recovering as the coverall has gone moldy.

the foam core wing needs stripping and re sheeting, or i could make a built up wing for it.

just at the thinking stage at the moment.

Advert

Hello Tony.

I am building a Mick Reeves hurri at the moment, the wings like yours needed some attention as the veneer had split, but they are now complete but not joined. I have fitted flaps will I was at it and retracts. I am now in the final stages of the fuselage. Has the model that you have used the plastic moldings for the undertray and cowl as mine are in quite bad condition. I have also been following your thread on model chat to see if I can pick up any tips. you might find this link to yet another forum where a Hurri has been repaired some of the photos certainly helped me to see what bits went where

**LINK**

Looking forward to following your thread.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

been thinking about this whilst finishing off number 5.

i want to simulate the metal sheeting on the front of the fuselage, which would be the best way of doing this.

i had thought of cutting paper panels and gluing each of them on separately to simulate the ally panels.

would this work, or is there a better way.

help needed here chaps.

my thoughts which may or may not be of use;

- laser printed tissue, either stuck on direct or onto paper or onto 1mm depron. 1mm depron can be sanded thinner and you could use silver tissue.

- lithoplate not sure on thickness etc or if it's even an option

- go composite, mould the nose then use it to make very thin perfect fitting 'panels'. paint, airbrush, cover as you see fit to get the finish required

• 2 weeks later...

well i attacked the fuselage today between other jobs.

cut the rudder and fin off so i could get access to the internal elevator horns as they were bust.

i can fix them now and then glue every thing back together and run the new pull pull cables for it all.

fixed a couple of broken stringers as well.

will put it to one side for the weekend while i finish hurricane number 5 and the barnstormer off.

Hi Tony.

I am keeping up to date with your thread, as I am still in the process of building mine. I saved a lot of weight by cutting holes in the tail feathers and then putting false ribs over the structure. Now that you have the tail and rudder off it might be a good time to lighten yours as it will save a lot of weight when it comes to balancing the model. I am also thinking of using Litho to cover the sheeted area on the fus so will be interested in anything you can find out.

Glenn